1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Boland hates Yao!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yao can't get a whole lot more assertive than going up for a dunk shot on his defender when his defender is inside the circle 2 feet. Tweet! Offensive foul.

Did anybody see his fifth foul tonight, the offensive foul call on the dunk attempt? Collins or Smith, whichever one was guarding him had both feet completely inside the lower circle, and they call the foul on Yao, after the defender had been grabbing and pushing him before he got the ball. Absolutely, utterly ridiculous.

Yao did play horrid tonight. I don't know if it was the back to backs or if he has really become weaker as the season has worn on or whether the referee distracted him. One thing that concerns me is it looks like is his upper body has shrunk since the beginning of the season. He almost looks as small now in the upper body as he looked in the early days of his rookie campaign.

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Man, I saw that play...the crowd booed for a while on that call. They probably booed the refs for a solid 30-45 seconds and it was loud. The refs were just huddling together talking, then slapping eachother on the butt.

3. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

We're going to have to track the game refs for every game now. I think there could be something to this.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yes, that fifth foul call on Yao tonight is a perfect example of why the NBA refs are so frustrating for the fans, players, and coaches. There is no consistency in their calls whatsoever. Prior to that call, Yao was called for a block for standing still in the same exact spot just inside the circle. But irregardless, how does it make sense that the defender can felonize and vivisect Yao with every heinous act short of castration while Yao tries to maintain post position - and then call an offensive foul on Yao when he makes his move. I cannot comprehend what has been able to hold Yao back from getting a tech yet.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

The one thing I don't understand, about the no calls down low, is what the defensive post player can legally do. The way I understand it is that, the defender is only allowed to have on forearm on the lower back of the other player and you can't extend the arm in any way. Yet, I notice that the defender continues to not only extend thier arm, but to extend and place both arms on Yao's back at the same time. I've seen this continuosly as Yao tries to post moving through the paint in front of the rim.

Also, Doug Collins was talking about how NJ's big men were doing a good job of getting a body on Yao when he shot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but bumping a shooter's body is a foul. If this was indeed happening, Yao should have received a ton of foul shots tonight.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I agree that the 5th foul was bogus - Yao was only trying to creat space to dunk and Collins flopped in the sequence.

I hpoe that the refs learn to officiate him better. But in the mean time Yao should figure a way to beat the system and stay out of early foul troubles.

7. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am an out-of-town fan. I wonder if it's against the law to call somebody is a racist. Isn't it a good idea for you guys to wave a "Matt Boland is a racist" slogan in the next home court?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mogrod, as I understand it....both hands on the offensive player at ANY TIME is defined as an automatic foul without exception....and I believe this definition is true at all levels of bball. but in the NBA the definition of a foul seems to change from second to second.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

That's what I thought, I was 99% sure. Thanks.

This is why I am so confused. :)

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Actually I think the defender is not even allowed to have one hand on the player's back.

11. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Not that that wasn't a flop on the 5th foul but you can draw a charge in the circle if the offensive player is backing in/posting up. It's a no charge zone for slashing/facing the basket moves. Actually the offensive player on a slash could be called for clearing out with the off arm in that circle as well. As bad as the refs are, they do call that w/consistency.

Apparently the two arm rule isn't called anymore which is a shame.

12. munco

munco Member

I think we're on to something. From the get go there were questionable calls against Yao. He did not play well tonight, but those horrible calls had an effect on him and may have even been the catalyst for a rough night. hmm....

13. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Offensive foul?!

14. Driven

Driven Member

I actually thought that all of the fouls called on Yao were legit...

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Kinda hard to determine a foul when your head is turned the other way!!!

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

I don't know how aggressive you can be to draw foul, when you going up strong for a shot and get slap hard on the forearm to lose the ball and no call; or when you go inside strong and just have guys blatantly shove you in the back; or go up for a jumpshot and have K-mart knock you hard on the wrist with obvious foul in act of shooting and no call and there's a yao turn over and Yao missed FG.

The officiating for Yao is complete bogus sometimes it's hard not want to throw my shoes at the TV. If Yao gets officiated as fair as they treat Shaq, yao could shoot about 15 to 20 free throws and average about 29 points or 30 points.

It's sad to see the game I love turn into sometimes completely unwatchable because of bad officiating.

17. rvpals

rvpals Member

It looks like the official just determine to look the other way, and thinking "Yao is all yours, guys, you can all rape him or do whatever you want inside, I'm not seeing anything at all."

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This was very well said, and I agree.

Yao did play terribly tonight, he looked lost almost. His number one problem is still not posting up well consistently. He really gets pushed around all over the place.

That being said, I really think that he gets the worst calls ever. And it's all about consistency. If Yao is passive, they call ticky-tack fouls on him (moving picks), if he gets aggressive, they call charging.

He can't win. And it must be frustrating.

If I was Yao, I'd practice that old outside shot a few thousand times again. If they are gonna rape you in the post, clear the lane out for McGrady and bury that 15 footer every time.

19. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Which game were you watching?

#39 moligity, Jan 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The problem is that the circle rule for offensive fouls may be the dumbest rule in the league. It is so arbitrary (yes, arbitray despite the fact that it is a well-defined circle, where it is is arbitrary to me) and useless.

The rule should be simple. You can take a charge anywhere. As long as you don't slide under a player after they have already jumped. Hence, Yao's blocking foul was dumb. Was he inside the circle - yes? The dude's got enormous feet. But it was GOOD, fundamental defense aside from that.