1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Knicks don't expect Jason Kidd to retire

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, May 22, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/new-york-knicks-dont-expect-jason-kidd-to-retire/

2. 713

713 Member

Kidd should have retired after the Mavs final because he's not winning anything with melo.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jason Kidd not winning anything anymore has more to do with his 0-for-the-last-10 games shooting performance/scoreless streak recently rather than Carmelo.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously, is there a record for this kind of thing?

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

and lose $9 mil ( i think the knicks signed him to $3 mil per year for 3 years)? who cares about protecting your legacy & image, who cares about not winning the title again. $9 mil is a significant amount of money even for Kidd, an athlete's earning potential is very limited if he turned this deal down most likely he'll never have another opportunity to earn $9 mil every again in his life.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he'd lose money if he retired lmao. His play is embarrassing but some posters don't seem to understand that winning isn't really his motivation at this point. With the NBA track record for broke athletes he's trying to move himself further and further from the inevitable while still importing pet tigers and sharks from China at 1M a piece.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't want him to retire yet. I still like it when he throws kisses at me when he's shooting his free throws.

1 person likes this.
  8. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I liked that lay-up he missed, where it spun around the rim like 2 times and rimmed out. Scoreless for that long, wow.

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Is it just me, or does it sound like they are hoping he'll retire?

Poor guy signed with the Knicks thinking he was to mentor Jeremy Lin and play limited minutes. They ran him into the ground.

10. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

They clearly hope he'll retire so that they don't have to pay his salary and it comes off the cap. Somehow I imagine Kidd won't be so nice to them.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get this idea that a player waiting too long to retire would hurt his legacy and image with his final seasons of play that is significantly below the level set in his prime.

Do people think less of Hakeem Olajuwon because of his stint as a Raptor?

Do people think less of Patrick Ewing because how he played in Seattle and Orlando?

How about Michael Jordan in Washington, Gary Payton in LA and Miami, Magic Johnson when he came back as a chubby power forward? So many other examples out there.

12. pnr

pnr Member

If he retires, does he still get paid and it will just not count against NYK's cap?

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He still gets paid and it counts against the cap. So his choice is to sit at home or at the golf course and collect 6.2M or stick with the team for the next two years and play every other game for 10 min and collect a paycheck.

What were the Knicks thinking getting all these 40 year olds???

14. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

if he retires, how would the contract still be valid since he's clearly not fulfilling his contract, but he could negotiate a buyout and then retire.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

They weren't thinking when they handed out all of those contracts to Amare, Novak, Chandler, Camby and Felton. Now they have to pay this LT thing they just found out exists.

Those kisses are being blown at me. :eek:

16. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

+1 something's terribly wrong with the Knicks. Just when you think they have turned the corner.

17. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I'm pretty sure if he retires, he doesn't get paid at all. See http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

18. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

He's just embarrassing himself out there. How sad. He used to be my favourite player until I knew he beat his wife.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

It's up to the discretion of the player and the team, I assume JKidd being of reasonable mind would not forgo the two years remaining on his contract.

James Worthy retired prematurely and was paid for the remaining 2 years of his contract with the Lakers.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

knicks dont expect him to retire

but after scoring zero points on 17 shots in his last 10 games in the playoffs, jason kidd expects to retire