1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the death of Open Planned Offices?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Jun 22, 2020.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

residential is seeing a boom. Low end home sales are killing it as people fly from multifamily during covid.

high end residential will lose some footing over the near term though. So it depends on where you are.

Vacation housing will be hurt in general.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nice. Time to buy a beach house. And maybe sell some of my rental properties.

3. studogg

your rental properties will be in very high demand. Workforce housing suitable for COVID-19. Make sure you hit your exit.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

I find that bad management usually is the main contributor to poor work and the need for supervision. Sure, there are some legitimate bad apples but you prune those. 10-15% is unacceptable and the management should be held accountable, not the employees.

Also, lack of trust for your employees is very bad management and leadership. If you feel the need to micromanage and control everything, you are the issue.

Cold Hard and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think people will vacillate their hate between Open offices and Cubicle farms depending on the quality of their neighbors/coworkers. I'm mostly quiet when I'm at my desk and hate rowdy do-nothings who need excitement to break up their monotony. I'd rather do it outside work or at a bar.

But the bold point...the data isn't settled because people across all sectors (tech included) are terrified of getting laid off right now and it's hella easy to overwork at home when the boundaries of being "out of office" become digital. Slack and email notifications are insidious at sucking in your attention when you least expect it. It happened at the office, but now that you're not physically present, it happens even more.

We'll see if the productivity trend continues but it didn't work at Yahoo when people perceived it as a perk and raced to the bottom with the hours they put in. Culture and effective leadership goes a long way more than location, it seems.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Yahoo just sucked. A ton of major companies have had a good sized group of people WFH with no issues for decades.

7. Xerobull

Citing Yahoo and IBM as examples shows how dated (And probably old) @ATXNekko ‘s Boss is. **** changes. Get on board or gtfo with Blockbuster video.

ATXNekko likes this.
  8. studogg

like Twitter telling their employees they never have to come into the office again.

the nation spent more than a decade delivering millions of SF of new generation office. Meanwhile national trends have continued to support the foreseeable downsizing of tenants. Lots of pending losses.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

But where will we source inspiration for classics like Office Space and The Office???

We can't let our CULTURE die!!!