1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is kyle lowry Starting Material?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wingcommander87, Mar 1, 2009.

1. wingcommander87

Since we have a yao-centric offense w/o mcgrady i wondering how would lowry fit.As I see it, in a yao-centric offense you need spacing and good shooters.
    Since lowry is a career 25 percent 3pt shooter and is more a up tempo to yao's slow tempo, I would think he is not a good fit.But he can definitely pentrate which is very crucial to beat the fronting defense employed by opponents.

Morey said he is a great hard nosed defender but vs the bulls he had 5 fouls in 15 minutes if he was a starter he would have fouled out by halftime. Also since he has been in houston he is avg nearly 4 fouls in 16.5 minutes. yes its a small sample size but is he better than aaron.

what do you guys think?

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

For now i prefer Aaron Brooks because he's a deadly shooter and compliment Yao better. Understand that not every PG in the league is going to dominate Aaron Brooks. Not every one of them is going to run play through the PG position.

Adelman can also sub in Lowry anytime for defensive purpose. In the Bulls game, he should have put Lowry in the 4th at the end cuz Aaron can't guard Rose.

3. yearning

yearning Rookie

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Lowry-608/
    The article before 2006'draft said Lowry perform much better when he was outside and he was a good 3-pointer as well. I was wondering whether the coach asked him to drive more or only his will, his 3-pointers percentage looks horrible these years. I guess the reason is lack of shooting practice and coach's decision. :(

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Rockets do not have a starting caliber PG on the roster.

5. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Are you sure it's not refering to the college three pointers?

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I've thought Lowry has over performed since being here. I think him and Brooks equal having a good point guard. I was expecting him to be gone by the off season at latest and the trade was just to get rid of Rafer.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I actually think Lowry is the better PG the Rockets have now. Lowry is only 22 so it's more realistic to expect his game to improve.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I say try him out, forget about it being too late or whatever. Obviously Lowry is more consistent because Brooks his whole game depends on how he is shooting which is not the case with Kyle. Kyle is a real PG, Brooks is a SG who cannot run the offense. Stop being stubborn Rick Adelman and try Kyle Lowry as a starter !! Even RA thinks Brooks works great alongside Barry so let those 2 come off the bench as the guards, Wafer can sub for Artest and it all works out.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I can agree with that. Brooks is not a real pg and what I don't like about him, is the fact that he doesn't use his adventages. I mean speed. He rarely attacks the basket and for me he takes too many long balls. I understand he was a scorer in Oregon, but it is time to change his game.

For me, it doesn't really matter who starts. I still belive Brooks can even be an all star in the future, we will see. But what I don't like about Rick, is that he doesn't make adjustments. For me it is clear, you play bettter than he does, than you are gonna get more minutes.

I don't understand why on the Earth Lowry played only 15 minutes and Brooks 35.

10. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

We already went through this in the other thread. Kyle had a minor injury and was in foul trouble. Brooks was doing a decent job against Rose until Rose went crazy on him. Rose was shooting 5/15 before he went crazy..Rick trusted AB as would any other coach in that situation.

The only fault of AB here is the fact that he failed to call for picks and deferred to Ron each time Ron asked for the ball (though not really his fault because Ron was hitting everything).. Rick is to be blamed for not pointing out to Aaron to call Scola for picks and take advantage..he called what..2? 3 timeouts? Yet none of those timeouts resulted into a pick-n-roll play.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It didn't look like it was something serious. He just tweaked his ankle I belive.

I understand Ron was hitting everything, but you are not gonna win close games shooting jumpers, especially well contested jumpers.

I agree with that pick and roll with Aaron and Scola. They seem to work nice together. The problem was, Aaron didn't really want to attack the basket.

12. yearning

yearning Rookie

the 2nd paragraph:
    Lowry was able to hit a variety of outside shots at a decent clip. He even got better as he moved outside, hitting 27 of 47 from NBA 3-point range – a respectable 57%.

13. danny3318

danny3318 Member

I worried of their size. How could they defend in the playoff facing D-wills.

14. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Well their only gameplan was get Yao the ball and when they couldnt, they panicked. Ron understood that the guys were counting on him to hit the shots..its just too bad that he couldnt attack the basket and pushed his luck on those bad jumpers. At least he admitted it was his fault though.

As far as Aaron is concerned, its true that he was hesitant out there when the pressure was on so that may have been the case as to why he couldnt attack the basket. But we already expected this to happen didnt we? We cant expect Brooks to be a cold hearted killer on his 2nd year. The pressure was on and he folded. He will get better on that in time though..just like how other young players. Brooks will continue to develop and hopefully turn into something that was worth it at the cost of this humiliating loss. If he doesnt pan out, theres still Lowry. :)

15. -.Y.-

-.Y.- Member

Lowry will start soon this season, or play more time than AB.
    He is winner as well as Shane.
    Even play only 5 games with us, he already has 14.4PER with only 15.9 USG% that's impresive for a new guy.
    By the way, he has 114 ORtg and 101 DRtg, that's amazing good.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2009.html
    Since RA wanna stability, AB will start for some games.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Right, they have 2....

:D

DD

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The Rox need to try something, Brooks hasn't been that hot shooting, 1/7 2/9 in the last two games and the opposing PGs have been the leading scorers in both games. Lowry seems to be fitting into the system well. Why not alternate them during the game, Brooks starts and plays 1st and 3rd qtrs, Lowry plays the 2nd and 4th and ends the games.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Lowry has only been with us for 5 games. Right now, he needs to manage his foul trouble. But he's still in learning mode of Adelman's offense.

He's starting-caliber material. He will soon be taking over for Brooks in the 4th quarter of games.

19. IceIceSeanSleez

Lowry is the truth... Brooks is meant for the bench. No offense to Brooks, he's a good spark off the bench.

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

Not in the NBA, but Yes in our team. How pathetic....