1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How should a star leave town, if he's unhappy? if at all?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pmac, Jan 16, 2012.

?

How should a star leave town, if he's unhappy? if at all?

1. Lebron style

19.3%
  2. Bosh style

43.4%
  3. Melo style

20.5%
  4. Dwight style

41.0%
  5. GM style

19.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

With all the hoopla going on regarding superstars switching teams and joining up, I noticed everyone is always upset with the star. So, I'd really like to know what situation would make fans happy and if there is one at all.

Lebron style (excluding the Decision) - Don't sign extension and leave in free agency. Don't list possible trade destinations yet make it obvious you are "weighing options" (implying that the current team is still one of the options).
    Bosh style - Don't sign extension and leave in free agency. Don't list possible trade destinations and don't make it obvious you are "weighing options"
    Melo style - Don't sign extension, let it be known you will not sign with the current team in the offseason. Tell current team what specific team you would like to be traded to.*
    Dwight style - Don't sign extension, let it be known you will not sign with the current team in the offseason. Tell current team a short list of teams you would like to be traded to.*
    GM style - Players should not leave the organization on their own devices while in their prime, ever. Players should accept the extension and play for their team until the GM decides to trade him.

*Note: telling the organization which teams you would like to be traded might be more palatable for all parties involved as neither the receiving team or current team would like to spend weeks hammering out a deal only to have it nixed because the star will not sign an extension with the receiving team. Also, it's probable that any team would seek to trade a star in light of what has happened to the Cavaliers' and Raptors', receiving basically nothing in return for their stars leaving.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Similar to Dwight. Just play out your contract and let the team know you aren't going to sign an extension and aren't expecting to stay in town once the deal is up.

If they want to trade you wherever, fine, but it's between you and the next team if you're willing to stay. Don't hinder your current team's ability to get max return for you. Being a rental isn't that different than finishing out your final year. Loads less pressure from the new fanbase, they're kissing your rear while the former fanbase is booing you for wanting out.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

But, this is always a factor in trade discussions. The trade-n-extend is still allowed and most teams will not give up what it takes to get the star without a guarantee from him that he will sign an extension.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is the difference between melo and Dwight. If Cleveland had got to the finals I think LeBron would have stayed.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Bosh or GM style. Either sign the extension, or don't, but if the team wants to trade you, the deal is theirs to make, not yours.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wade style. Invite others to come.

At least that's how I would want it if our Rockets had a superstar.

Also I voted for all because I could.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

bosh style. At least publicly.

Exert your clout through your agent. No need to take it to the streets. Smile at the fans...don't badmouth your city or your team...but let your agent know where you're willing to go...No need to communicate with your GM through the press. Make your agent earn his 15%.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

During the lockout, I was hoping that they would get rid of sign-and-trade and extend-and-trade. Let the player play out his contract and decide to go wherever he wants but can't get as much money as from his current team. A lot of evil came from that intentional loophole called SnT.

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

The sign-n-trade came up because teams hated losing guys in free agency and getting nothing back in return. Shaq leaving Orlando (a contending team coming of a 60+ win season) with a huge hole was one of the big moves that triggered the sign n trade becoming a part of the next CBA. I think sign and trades are fine. At the very least your old team can get a couple of picks and maybe a large Trade Exception. Thats a lot better than nothing at all if the guy was determined to leave anyway.

The 24 hour nature of sports coverage (and pretty much all information these days) is the reason so many fans are annoyed with the trade drama surrounding players. Hearing about where I guys is rumored to have texted his agent about where he'd like to play ad nauseum for weeks on end is no fun.

If a guys plays out his contract he should be free to go to another team. Period. None of these guys were/are distractions off the court in terms of getting into trouble with the law/domestic abuse/etc. None of these guys have dogged it on the court a la T-Mac and Vince so I don't see why fans should be upset with them at all. As a matter of fact they all signed one extension with their current team. Bosh Melo Lebron Dwight Amare etc. have all given 7+ years to their original team before deciding to move on. Thats more than fair to themselves and to their respective fan bases.

Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer are the only All-Stars in recent memory I can think of that didn't re-up with their original team at least once. And they both kind of suck now so it doesn't even really matter.

The real issue is team/player agents/whoever leaking info to the media about the goings-on behind the scenes. Dwight's wish list should not be public knowledge. Otis Smith shouldn't even be answering questions specifically about trading Dwight. As a GM his job is to improve the roster the best he can both for the current year and for the future, no matter who is on the roster.

In regards to players dictating where they want to play, thats fine with me in a contract year. If a player is set to be a free agent, a team isn't going to offer a whole lot in a trade package without getting some assurances that he'll stay.

10. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Have to also go with Bosh style, everyone knew he wasn't coming back, there was nothing shocking or hurtful about how it went down.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The Decision was the most largest part of LeBron style. It doesn't make sense to exclude it. :) It's like taking Jordan in a discussion of the Bulls greatest.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

LeBron.

People say he should have done what Melo did. LeBron would be more hated if he took that route instead of doing what he did. I'm not talking about how he announced it.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

but toronto got nothing for him

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well that is on Toronto not Bosh.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

LeBron wasn't going to win either way with people unless he went back to Cleveland. He wasn't entitled to Cleveland or any other teams. He was the most professional about it, compared to other scenarios, except maybe Bosh. He never whined or complained to management about being traded, while putting happy face on for fans and etc.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Voted for all 5. Just because I could.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let the natural ecology take place. If a star player walked and left a huge hole, the team would suck a year or two and get a high pick. That's what happened to Orlando. And the big hole usually also means a big cap room for some good FAs.

A team forced to do a SnT got 50 cents for a dollar and stuck in mediocrity. The myth of "getting something instead of nothing" is a shortsighted solution.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Bosh
    Melo
    Dwight
    LeBron

That's my order. Bosh did everything quietly, but people still knew he wasn't staying. Toronto could have gotten something for him, but they didn't... not Bosh's fault.

Melo let it be known where he wanted to go right from the start. It weighed on his team for a while, but ultimately his team took advantage of it and got one hell of a deal out of it. Melo got what he wanted, Denver didn't really get what they "wanted" but they couldn't have asked for better.

Dwight is basically the same as Melo, but his hasn't played out yet. My guess is Orlando will come out of it looking similar to how the Nuggets looked post-Melo. Maybe even better if they can get rid of Hedo's contract at the same time.

LeBron handled it in the worst possible way. He dragged his team along, giving them hope all along, and then dropped the ball on them on National Television without even giving them a courtesy call. Get out of here with that garbage.

19. Dei

Dei Member

Yep. I didn't even hate the decision, tbh. He was big enough a player to do it. My only problem was that he was going to Miami with Bosh. Like Jordan said, he never would've partnered with Bird nor Magic.

I think extensions should be removed and players should not be able to demand a trade, comment on which teams they would want to be traded to, nor if they wouldn't re-sign with their current team.

A team has that player for a specific number of years and has the advantage of offering that player more money come FA. The player leaving is a risk the team should recognize.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Bosh style. Let the rumors cool down (or not heat up that much) and have ample space in evaluating each team wanting you and what they are capable of (minus you). The reason I said this is that you need a team that is post-season finals ready. Adding you would be a great chance for the team to get that trophy and those rings.