1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Dante Cunningham ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

A base salary contract will do. He won't complain about time or team status.

33 years old, suitable size and body strength (6'8, 220 lb).

Have a certain ability to shoot three-point shots
    More importantly, he can entangle his opponents tirelessly and physically.
    Competitive tough guys, capable of SF&PF, can defend at least three positions on the floor.

I think he is a fairly qualified 10-15 minute rotation or even a certain number of games to start, although he will not perform well, but he will also not be so poor performance, can help our main players smooth through the rest time.

If we can't introduce Andre Iguodala, I think Dante will be a more cost-effective frontline supplement.

I know his ability and level may be very limited, but he can bring a strong temperament to our team, because I found that the team management and teammates he worked for praise him, is a good teammate.

arubato, carib, Hakeemtheking and 5 others like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

there are a lot of decent NBA players floating around waiting for a minimum contract.

i think we could use a couple of them to hedge our bet that house/clark/harty can all take a step forward. what if they don't?

the problem is these vets want guaranteed minutes and the rockets won't commit to that.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It doesn't hurt that he spent a season under Pop, OP. We could do worse than having him on our bench. I'll add that I doubt if he'd be demanding minutes. He'd likely be thrilled if we picked him up.

Dante barely got off the bench last season during the playoffs for the Spurs, but he gave them some decent minutes during the season, mostly at the 4. Hit 46% from 3 on 65 attempts for SA. Hit .345% from 3 on 168 attempts the season before for Brooklyn and NOLA. The guy's been bouncing around the league during his career.

#3 Deckard, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about Ron Artest while we're at it? C'mon man.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Isn't Mr World Peace on Medicare, Plowman? Look, no one (well, the OP is a little strong) is suggesting that this guy is anything more than another option to have on the bench, one that wouldn't hurt you and could eat a few minutes. He's not the answer to anything.

#5 Deckard, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Plowman likes this.
  6. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Hell no his defense sucks his defensive numbers were worser than ryno ,per basketball reference

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, stats aren’t everything...there’s no way in hell he’s actually a worse defender than Ryno

no team would ever game plan to target Cunningham and exploit him like they would with Ryno

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why not lance stephenson? He is clearly better than mclemore.

9. wesbound

wesbound Member

I'm curious why we didn't snatch Lance? it's a bit late now that he's signed with a team in asia. i thought he could defend & ball in limited mins.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockets have said they are happy with their roster and aren't really interested in veterans who expect to be given guaranteed roles.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. macan

macan Member

i don't know..i prefer us getting some younger legs. we are an old team.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Dante is an underrated 3-and-D. This is not a bad option

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If Tilman receives some off-shore donations, he might consider it.

RichieBanks and pippendagimp like this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Actually like his game ALOT...he fits too.

15. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Yes they were ,Google their name plus stats ,on basketball reference scroll down to defense ,press it , then look at their overall dfg. And compare

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, I’m sorry, but that’s such a simplistic way of determining who’s better defensively and just the wrong way of going about things.

if that’s all u got then no wonder u actually think Ryno is a better defender...that’s laughable

Ryno had a better dfg than Chris Paul last year, are u gonna tell me he was a better defender than him too? Ryno is 1 of the worst defensive players in the NBA, Cunningham isn’t. Stop it...

疯狂伊文戴德蒙 likes this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Just what this team is lacking, a wife beater.

GJ, OP.

18. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Thats not how dfg works dumbdum ,the higher the number the worser the defense. Ryno dfg was at 50% cp3 was 49%

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lord have mercy, u are incredibly clueless. Ryno allowed his matchup to shoot 4.4% higher FG% on average while CP allowed 4.6% higher FG% on average, so according to your simple minded logic, Ryno was a better defensive player than CP last year. Please don’t try and use stats or call somebody dumb when u yourself are clueless and have no idea what you’re talking about. That’s how u end up believing that Ryno is a better defensive player than Dante Cunningham. Have a seat.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know if that's the case.

The elephant in the room - as it stands now they are below the tax by $1.174m after the recent cuts of Davis and Chiozza and have 17 players under contract , 3 of which are on exhibit 10 deals. They could just be cheap ….

Or they may be leaving their options open just in case an opportunity arises … essentially having one open roster spot.

I think its one of the two rather than players demanding anything. Those guys just want an NBA paycheck.