1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Time To Be A Rocket Fan (No Kidding)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CBrownFanClub, Nov 22, 1999.

1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Sure, everyone knows about our 1994 and 1995 championship teams. But who out there remembers the really bad years? Even worse, the really mediocre years?

Those were seasons where real Rocket fans paid their dues. Adversity only makes you stronger, separating the real fans from the riff-raff. I am talking about punching the name "Tim McCormick" on the all-star ballot. I am talking about rooting for Joe Barry Carroll. I am even talking about reading Wally Walker's bio in our program and thinking "oh, that is interesting." I am talking about waiting impatiently for Allen Leavell to get off the injured list. I am talking about bragging about our new star Dirk Minnefield.

This year is a rebuilding year, folks, an ugly one at that. Maybe it is time to realize this is going to be a really fun year to be a fan. Easy to sneak into the lower prom at games. Merchandise at reasonable prices. No basketball talk from bandwagoners. This year, it is time for the real deal to step forward.
    Memo to the rest: Get outa here, rif-raffin' scrubs who demand wins! The real fans are ready to take the team back!!! SCRAM, SCRUB FANS, GO LISTEN TO BRITNEY SPEARS AND WATCH THE AEROS OR COMETS OR WHATEVER WINNING TEAM YOU CHOOSE! WE LOVE OUR ROCKETS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE CRAPPY!!!

Go Rockets

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rockets in 2001-2002, baby!

3. CBrownFanClub

or not, that is fine too!!! EITHER WAY!!!GO ROCKETS!

4. popeye

popeye Member

Chuckle,snicker. Sleepy Floyd!!! In disguise!!!

[​IMG]

5. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Back in the day when I was young I'm not a kid anymore, but somedays I sit and wish I was a kid again... I can remember going to see the Rockets play Golden State in THE SUMMIT. Back when GS had Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullin, you know the days when Timmy had the commercial with Spike Lee sayin' "notice the ugly lack of spin and Timmy coming back with 'I got skills'. I remember that GS was killing us. Just smokin us at will. We were sitting right behind their (visitors) bench, so close we could touch them. We were begging Tim if he would let us score 100 pts for the Big mac attack. He just laughed at us. Those were the days. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited November 22, 1999).]

6. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

If this is a rebuilding year why isn't Kenny Thomas getting ANY playing time at all.

If we are going to rebuild then let's get serious. I'd rather suck ass and get a lot of these young guys experience, than play Barkley and Dream all game.

What's the difference between being a lottery team and a team that barely misses the playoffs or being an 8th seed (and getting embarrassed in the first round for the third year in a row). If we don't have a shot at doing any damage in the playoffs let's scrap this whole thing and ensure an excellent pick next year.

7. thacabbage

The Houston Rockets finish up their regular season with a 2-80 record, almost assuring themselves of a Top-5 lottery pick....In another news, Chris Porter of the University of Auburn has decided to give up basketball and pursue a career in computer engineering...

Oh, the irony of it all.

------------------
    "Museum officials outside of Houston have reported an ancient artifact identified as "Rudy's Postup Plays - 1994" stolen, as of November 2, 1999...officials urge residents to contact...

8. CBrownFanClub

Trvia: When he was a Rocket, what was Mike Dunleavy's nickname and why?

9. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

The Rockets will be back! It may not be this year but they will be back.

10. thacabbage

The Doctor. (?)

All I know is that the guy has a degree in psychology...

------------------
    "Museum officials outside of Houston have reported an ancient artifact identified as "Rudy's Postup Plays - 1994" stolen, as of November 2, 1999...officials urge residents to contact...

11. CBrownFanClub

Nope, sorry.

Damn cabbage, I was counting on you for that one.

Come on, old schoolers, this is a relatively easy one. . .

12. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Ok, I might be the only one, but for me, this is NOT a rebuilding year yet. As long as the season is not over and as long as there is any chance to reach the playoffs, a year is NOT a rebuilding year. Once we get to the playoffs, everything is possible. Everyone seems to have accepted it because our friend Cabbage and most others have kept repeating it over and over again, but for me, this is NOT a rebuilding year until the playoffs are out of sight.

GO ROCKETS!!!

13. CBrownFanClub

No no, look. A rebuilding year is not a lost year, nor a bad year. Bad years are what the Nuggets have, what the Clippers have, and what the Warriors have. Rebuilding years are what good teams have when they are in transition. And understand, you can still be an avid fan, an optimist, and enthusiastic and not expect the team to be competitive in the win column.

Sure, they may well get to the playoffs. But hang on, I do believe they are 2-10 right now. IT IS FINE. In fact, rebuilding is fun - you can watch something grow.

That is why those two championships were so utterly breathtaking. Unlike the Lakers of this era, or the Rockets of the past 3 years, we had not imported superstars and demanded rings. We developed. We jelled. We strategically jettisoned mediocre players and picked up flawed-but-effective role players. We watched people call Vernon a loser, then he drained the series clinching 3ptr in 94. Same with Kenny in 95. We watched Elie develop until his series clinching kiss o' death vs. phoenix. we watched sammy cassell grow up. We watched Hakeem refashion his game. We watched Robert Horry bounce back from the insult of being traded, only to raise his game. The losing that preceeded it was essential.

Those championship teams did not form in a day. They grew. Like plants except plants need Carbon Dioxide to survive, not Oxygen. The point is, the journey is 75% of the fun. Championships are no good if they fall from the sky.

That is why sitting around and blasting Rudy and Hakeem is such a waste of time. Watch, folks, we will win, but uccess is not to be measured only in one-year intervals. I would take a championship drive in 2003 over a few years near the bottom of the playoff pack (see 97 & 98). Forget the playoffs, the competition and the standings. Watch the team. Other people will have to accomodate to us, not vice versa.

CBrownFanClub

ps. Nice how I have posted like 50 responses to my own thread. Its like laughing at your own joke. Please keep in mind that the bad etiquette of the Chucky Brown FanClub in no way reflects the grasp of etiqutte of Chucky Brown himself.

14. thacabbage

Damn, that was a good post.

------------------

15. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

I understand your point, Chucky Brown, good post. But...I guess there is nothing wrong with hoping that, while we are rebuilding, we can STILL get to the playoffs this season and once we are there, we have every chance of winning it all. I just still believe that...but I get your point.

16. I guess as fans expecting a team with Hakeem, Chuck, Francis, and Anderson to be better than 2-10 we are all bad fans for critiquing a team that has the capability to be undefeated right now.

Personally sitting through loses in the early 80's and then sitting through years of mediocrity through the late 80's and early 90's, wasn't a pinch in the ass, because realisticlly the Rox were either a bad team, or even with Hakeem, a mediocre one. But shame on us for expecting more effort.

I had the displeasure of watching the Rox trade away the best player in the world in Moses Malone. Then watch him lead a good, but not great team to the promised land, but I guess since I expect a team with Hak, Chuck, Anderson, and Francis to be better than 2-10 I am a bandwagoning, ship jumping, Lakers fan in disguise?

please quit with the shame on you routine just because someone else doesn't hold your same exact opinion.

17. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Let me ask everyone this question......Do you think the Rockets orginization will scrap this whole year for a draft pick? I don't believe they think they are rebuilding, the Rockets actually think they have a chance to win games and a championship. I guarantee you they do not approach everyday with the rebuilding process in mind, their approach is trade to get better, and competetive, That is how Les Alexander works. He wants to see results. Its useless to talk about Chris Porter or any other high draft choice because their ultimate goal is to be competetive.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

18. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

tds99, did anyone in this thread say "shame on you"?? Please don't make it a habit to put words in people's mouths.

19. "Get outa here, rif-raffin' scrubs who demand wins! The real fans are ready to take the team back!!! SCRAM, SCRUB FANS, GO LISTEN TO BRITNEY SPEARS AND WATCH THE AEROS OR COMETS OR WHATEVER WINNING TEAM YOU CHOOSE! WE LOVE OUR ROCKETS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE CRAPPY!!!

Well since I have stated overly that I expect that the Rox are capable of beating a Shaqless, Kobeless Lakers, The Orlando Ameachis, and the Dallas Mudricks. I suspect that some of his words are related to what I say.

Did you even read the post German???????

20. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Now this is a thread ......CBFC......nice post. The bad years, even the mediocre years, gave the two championship runs shape, dimension and meaning. You were preaching to the choir when you said it is all about the journey......I couldn't agree more.

We're not "America's team"...... we're not "Your Chicago Bulls"......we are underground.....and, I too, wanna keep it that way. The losing weeds out the fairweathers and I, for one, am sick of happy Hollywood endings or anything that Costas and Co. can fashion into a "story". 2-10 is even more of a reason to watch the Rockets.

Not that this matters, CBFC, but you have completely blurred the line between the optimists and the pessimists. You are one or the other -- I can't figure out which. You are either a cynical pessimist or one of the most candy-coating optimists to post here. In any event, you're hardcore, old-school, whatever...... If you're thinking of forming your own little faction -- sign me up.