1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired CNN Producer sounds off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, Feb 20, 2008.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This may be the best thing I have read regarding the current state of american media ever. Good read.

Link

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Great read!

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only part worth reading is one paragraph because he detailed his feelings in the workplace. The rest seems like a lengthy advertisement of his blog...New internet media FTW!

Frontline's piece on the news media that originally aired last year is time well spent on knowing why the news soulless entertainment right now. Part 3 is particularly depressing.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

"Nancy Grace fake ratings-baiting indignation,"

found this funny

5. Major

Major Member

What was he writing on HuffPost and/or his blog? I don't see a problem with CNN terminating him, depending on the content. Let's say it's inflammatory, racist stuff (just as an example). If someone connects the guy, it hurts CNN if someone reports "a CNN producer of American Morning is a known racist" or whatnot. I think if you're working for a news outlet like that, it's obvious that you should be aware that you might want to check with your employer in what you publish on other outlets.

Was anything he was posted controversial? Maybe it would have been smarter for CNN to give him a warning or a cease & desist type thing, but if it was inflammatory enough, I don't see a problem with a firing.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He should land easy. They tell me that blogging for the HuffPo is one of the job requirements at MSNBC. :D

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It wasn't that he was writing racist stuff, it was that he was writing leftist stuff. The last thing a news organization can afford is the confirmation of bias. Especially confirmation of bias that many people were already accusing them of.

8. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

Uh..no it's not.

Oh, and "blogosphere" is a stupid word that should never be used.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

american?

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Major: I apologize if the intent of the post was not clear. I really don't care about the firing, it may have been justified, it may have not. Certainly, it was handled rather poorly.

But I was really more interested in his comments regarding the methods used by the so-called journalists. The evaluations with respect to shareholder value are particularly damning from the perspective of "independent and unbiased news".