1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exclusive Interview of Daryl Morey on the New Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 9, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports conducted this exclusive interview of Daryl Morey in Las Vegas where Daryl talked extensively about the draft, the possible trades, Yao Ming, Vassilis Spanoulis, and his plan, and even though not included in this interview, he vowed in another article to bring back NBA Championship for the Rockets within 5 years !!

[​IMG]

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"..after all, we were fully exposed on that point guard position last season."

LOL!!

No respect for Reefer.

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

wow ... he thinks they can bring VSpan back ... interesting. I doubt he will if he reads this BBS.

I wish he was looking for 2 guys at PF, not one ... one veteran, and one longer term investment who's young, besides Landry. I am glad he's looking for additional help behind C. It sounds like he's still planning on upgrading things at PG too ... it'll be interesting to see what he pulls off.

Too bad you didn't ask him about Francis or Artest ... or who some of the PFs they are looking at.

But, thanks for the info ... :) ... good job.

4. pryuen

Geeeee.....I'm NOT the one conducting this interview. It is the fellow shown in the photo.....Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports.

5. The Brian

The Brian Member

thanks pryuen.

this interview is awesome because it means one thing: steve novak will get playing time. :p

the next peja has arrived.

6. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i dig their opinion of novak.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thanks Pryuen-good interview

#7 TBar, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Looks like were expecting big things from novak. under adelman Novak can be pretty handy player off the bench... a taller version of thge polish rifel eric piakowstki.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

You asked some incisive questions, Pryuen. Good job!

10. The Hungarian Rocket

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Thanks for the article! I don't like some of Morey's answers.. it's so general. For example, when asked about what he knows of Adelman, he gives one of those general description like any other GM would say.. "yeah he's a good guy, yadda yadda yadda." But I guess there are no other things to say.
    That's a very bold statement. But I think Houston fans are immune to that kind of statements. He hasn't done anything yet to convince us with this statement. I've learned not to take these statements seriously since TMac opened his mouth. We'll believe it when we see it.

12. pryuen

As I explained, I am NOT the one that conducted the interview. I just translated the interview from Sohu Sports.

13. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i think morey is banking on 5 years being just long enough for us to forget that he said it.

14. pryuen

Well, it seems that some of those sports reporters/writers on Tom.com had wrongly interpreted what Daryl Morey said about winning NBA championship within 5 years. :D

He did not promise anything !! :rolleyes:

15. Good Times

Good Times Member

Good interview, what I'm picking up from this is:

PF - Need to find a starter, Hayes not enough for a starter and Carl Landry is not in the rotation.

PG - Mike James maybe the a starter, feels confident in him. Rafer did not do well last year and it was visable. Arron Brooks could be a future star, but not this coming year. If VSPAN comes back he will get more backup mins then last year.

Overall - We need speed and constant motion players. James, VSpan and Brooks fit that mold.

16. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

A candid and straight forward interview.

Very blunt regarding the point guard situation. Van Gundy stuck to his guns with Raefer and John Lucas, albeit limited minutes for the later. I think this made Morey very unhappy, considering that Spanoulis (whom Morey says has McGrady level of penetration) riding the bench all season long.

Hence now Van Gundy is gone. And Morey is saying what we all knew here, the point guard was a problem for the Rockets last season. Bad shooting percentage. Little penetration. Little assits. The only good thing was that there weren't a lot of turnovers.

Yao - Mutumbo (But I think Morey would prefer an upgrade if possible)
    "Via trade" - Hayes (Again an Upgrade is preferable) - Landry
    Battier - Novak - Reed
    McGrady - Wells - Head (I think he is included in A trade if Needed)
    James - V.Span - Brooks

I think that Morey is trying to get this sort of line up for next season. V.Span is as good as Snyder at penetration (. Point guard position was exposed (Reference to Alston and Lucas). It's not a sure thing that Mutumbo and Hayes return, if better options are found (Wow :eek: ). Therfore if he had his way Snyder, Lucas, and Raefer would all be traded for other pieces. Plus there is the Mid level Exeption and Bob Sura's Contract.

I guess you need to be a genius to convert the Rockets obsolete assets into integral components for the Rockets next season.

17. XtraP79

XtraP79 Member

Looking at the photo Morey reminds me of Chandler from Friends (remember the one where Chandler can't smile on a photo)...:D

18. kingkow

kingkow Member

Wow. Morey is saying that Tmac = Snyder = Billy in terms of penetration power?

19. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Nice post pryuen. Thanks for doing it ! Maybe some day you will be in position to ask the questions,so when you get the blame for asking weak questions it really will be your fault ;) .

20. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I think this next year will be make or break for Novack. I hope he gets enough playing time to show if he truly can play the 6th or 7th man off the bench. If he dosen"t show that I think he will be traded the next off-season. I do not think he had enough playing time last year to build up his confidence.