1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Daily Dime - Rockets Survive, Thrive on the Road

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Not that you needed me to bring your awareness to the article, but since it was Hollinger I thought I'd do the honors and kick off the discussion.

Our offensive efficiency is currently 19th in the league (defense 4th). Now everybody knows our defense will improve into the top 2 or 3 again once Battier returns; the real question is whether or not we can improve our offensive efficiency to a championship worthy level. These last three games would indicate yes, but that's just been the nature of the Rockets season so far--take a few steps forward, take a few steps back. Boston last year went into the playoffs with the best defensive efficiency in the league by far and the 10th best or so offensive efficiency. If we could get to that level offensively, and STAY HEALTHY, then our chances should be just as good.

LINK

2. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Good article. I wish we could beat Lakers and Celtics when Shane is back. :D

3. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

nice read, it's always good to see hollinger's comment on us as he is one of the few media guy back up the Rockets.

as for Lakers and Celtics, we definitely need to run our offense better other than Shane to beat them.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Excellent article, thanks for posting.

I think we are in great shape and the more the team grows together, the more dangerous we will be.

5. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Good article. 10 road games already? That was fast.

6. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

man faraout time flies, we've nearly gone through 1 quarter of the season already.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i read somewhere that championship teams are usually always in the top 10 in offense and defense. offense is where we need to be.

8. lxnew2000

lxnew2000 Member

I just can't wait for Shane to come back, then Ron Ron will have a more active role on the offense. And the defense woohoo especially perimeter D is a lock down as Ron and Shane switching between the best of Kobes and LBJs.

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think overall John likes the Rockets. I think he's waiting to see how the Rockets respond when Shane gets back. He's in love with defense and that is something that he always talks about in his articles.

10. kwng

kwng Member

Great article. We need some size to match the lakers and celtics. I am not sure Battier come back is enough.

11. thunder03

thunder03 Member

Battier's back will help wingspan defence and team work ethnics, but we will have a hole at center position, if Yao is down, are we really counting on Hayes?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets are planning on signing a 7-footer, likely Mutombo, in the event that Yao gets injured. For now, they think the PF trio is sufficient.

13. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

3 more games to finish out the month, and it is totally realsistic to finish the month out with a 13 - 5 record. Pretty good from where we have started.

14. Showtizzle2642

i read that deke will be back by mid-december?
    can anyone confirm this?

15. FFz

FFz Member

thats what he said in the 76ers game when he was being interviewed.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Great article thanks for posting. For all the ups and down of this early part of the season we should be very happy where we are right now, plus this team still has the ability to improve.

17. GMAC

GMAC Member

Looking at those rankings, damn, we've played a lot of games. 3 more games than a large majority of the teams in the league. Against quality opponents too.

I'd say a 10-5 is very respectable, best in the SW, especially without our superstars healthy and without Shane.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

They mentioned last night on the telecast that we haven't played back to back home games yet. I guess it should have been obvious, but it amazed me when I really gave it some thought.

EDIT: Looking at the schedule myself, it turns out they were wrong on TV last night. We played Oklahoma City and then Boston at home. Still, 2 straight home tilts in the span of 15 games is crazy. I wonder if any other team has experienced that.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I heard that too. My question is, will he be playing, or just sit on the bench incase Yao gets hurt? I like running a small, quick lineup when Yao is out.

I wouldnt mind having Yao sit out a couple games against scrub teams throughout the season to rest, if we had Deke. Example, have him sit out OK and NY games Jan 9th and 10th for rest. Keeping him healthy is our number 1 priority.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

when did "home tilts" become a phrase. Never heard that before.