1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard receives bone marrow aspirate injection in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Reread his post -- you're missing key information...

We typically see bone bruises after an ACL injury. When the ACL tears the bones bang together quickly causing a bone bruise aka bone edema. What Dwight has is a slow gradual onset of the same thing.

2. okeezie

okeezie Member

T Mac also went rogue. He went off on his own and made his own decisions. T Mac also came back from his injury. That he never got back to what he was had to with his work ethic and desire to play basketball. I read the Bleacher Report article on T Mac and he said his knee does not hurt anymore and he could play if he wanted to. That is in contrast to someone like Brandon Roy who can't play no matter what.

As with any injury they are not apples to apples. No 2 people have the same amount of cartilage damage so the opinions of the attending doctor who has examined the knee are the only ones that matter. Once that doctor has spoken you can take what he says to the bank. Doctors and physical therapists on the radio and ESPN are speculating. They know it's not optimal for diagnosing severity of injury but they are being asked to give a medical opinion and cannot just punt on an answer. Always defer to the team doctor if he speaks on the injury because not all players will allow that. Once again thanks guys and I hope this helps.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that his knee condition is degenerative then? That is that even if he doesn't need microfracture that his ACL will continue to deteriorate and create bone on bone bruising in the future?

4. Zbed

Zbed Member

Thanks for the info

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Regardless I think the knowledge this team has gained--that it can't completely rely on Howard is beneficial. It won't catch us by surprise like with Yao. The rockets will take the appropriate steps, that much I can trust Morey with.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well well well. just another reason that why the rockets message board is the best for any team around. thanks for the post

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Things still do not add up. I've had an ACL, and it is a major impact injury, major twist to make the bones bang. DH never had that, how does he get this "hot spot" without it?

BTW, my ACL was done by Dr. Moseley, who was working with Dr. Lowe back then. I also rehabbed in at the Methodist, the Healthsouth physio that was led by Russ Payne. Dave Macha was my therapist, who then went on to work for the Rockets for awhile. Are these people still there (dr. Moseley, Russ Payne, Dave Macha)?

Thanks for the input!

8. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Howard met with the media today said the MRI s

9. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

^showed no structural damage etc...Fiegan and others are tweeting about it now (accidental post before...stupid mobile haha)

10. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Ben DuBose : Dwight Howard, meeting with media now: "I'm working out in the pool a lot and on bike. Strengthening the leg. Right now I feel really good."

Dwight Howard said some nights felt good, others felt as if he couldn't perform. Expects to be in better shape when he returns.

Dwight just referenced a "6 to 8 weeks" recovery timetable. Unclear if that's from the procedure or the initial injury date (Jan. 23).

Dwight Howard: "I knew it wasn't anything structural [with the knee]. That right there is a blessing."

Lowe says the "6 to 8 weeks" is just an estimate. Could ramp Dwight's activity up even sooner than the 4-week checkup mark if leg is ready.

Feigen : Dwight Howard said some nights felt good, others felt as if he couldn't perform. Expects to be in better shape when returns.

Howard said knew was no structural issue before MRI showed it. Cited a timetable of six to eight weeks.

Dr. Walt Lowe said Howard could be back in four weeks. Timetable very fluid at this point.

Lowe said difference between edema on Howard's knee and basic swelling is fluid in the bone, rather than free flowing when can be drained.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Any links?

12. rocketblood713

Howard says 6-8 weeks but Fevan says the Doc said maybe 4 weeks

13. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

I would, but I don't know how to do so from mobile :( ...I'm sure other members will do so in the coming minutes though

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, this is unexpected good news.

15. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Feigen : Idea that Howard would be reevaluated in four weeks never really true. MRI is then. Will be evaluated throughout process, Lowe said.

Lowe said Howard's treatment, rehab, timetable to be determined by how he feels, progresses, not when they get MRI results.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/564567863063617536

16. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

6 to 8 weeks?! That's a whole different story than the 4 weeks, originally said.

Hopefully that counts the 2 weeks he has already missed and/or the time it will take him to get back in the flow. 2 months is tough.

18. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

No, it was originally reported he'd miss 6-8 weeks and would be reevaluated in 4 (MRI).

That's still the estimate, however the clarification is he'll be reevaluated along the way, and the MRI is what will happen in 4 weeks.

19. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I'm sticking to my March 11th at Portland game for his return. (knock on wood, fingers crossed, rubbing the rabbit's foot, and all that stuff) :)