1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Sacramento have a bright future?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Moahst, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Moahst

Moahst Member

When I take a look at the young talent around the league, the Kings scare me more than anyone else aside from maybe the Thunder in 3 or 4 years. I think their poised to seriously compete after they tweak there roster for a couple of seasons. The core of Tyreke, Demarcus Cousins, and Hassan Whiteside knocks out the two harder positions to fill at PG and C. Throw in Omri Casspi who could develop into a great role player alongside as well as Landry/Dalembert/Jason Thompson and I think in a couple of years they could contend. Pretty impressive future for a small market team.

I know that Whiteside is a project player who may or may not pan out, but from what I saw in college ball and especially in the summer league, he's a defensive presence already.

Once Tyreke finds a jumper and learns to share he'll be an all-star and in my opinion Cousins should have been the #2 pick in the draft.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Sacramento does have a brighter future than they did few years ago , but there are many already established teams in the West . Evans and Cousins could be a solid young combo for years to come. I would like to the Kings matter again in the NBA realm.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Kings have a great future a head of them if they keep drafting great players. I do expect SAC to either trade Landry or Thompson to get rid of Beno or Garcia's contract. Those guys are still owed a lot of money and they don't serve any true purpose on that team other than Beno. Now Beno did play well last year but I think they need a true veteran on that time. Hell if I were SAC, I would target Billups. He would be great for that team. Garcia will only take away from Casspi and Greene.

If Cousins and Evans can grow together, they're going to be a monster. Evans IMO needs a veteran on that team to teach him certain things he's lacking. He tends to dominate the ball too much but that should change if they get the right people in there to work with him. Evans needs to play the SG. He's too big to play the PG.

Overall, I like where that this team is going.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

No they don't have bright future, Tyreke is not PG, they don't have enough wings to compete on a daily bases, they have alot of bigs which is good thing, they don't have good bench.

My second though is in order to have great team to compete you should also good management and good coach alongside, other than that I think they don't have good future.

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're high buddy and you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

We all know Tyreke isn't a PG. Hell even Jesus knows that. They do have wings players and they have enough assets to make trades and cap space.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Two high lottery picks that weren't totally botched does create potential. Two high lottery picks that turn out very well (as Tyreke did with ROTY) creates a lot of potential.

So yes, they are going to be on the rise. As they rise though, they'll not get so many high lottery picks and will have to begin adding in free agency or do well in later in the draft.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tyreke, Carl, Cousins is NICEEEEEE

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

They won't be bottom feeders, but they also won't make the playoffs.

9. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

My favorite team to watch was the early 2000's teams that Adleman coached with Cwebb, Divac, J-Will/Bibby, Christie, and Peja. I enjoyed the nba for years before that, but for some reason the way that team played made it sooo exciting to watch them play. They always played the Lakers and would push them to the limit, but could never get over the hump :/

10. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

As long as they can find a distributor, be it a PG or a point forward. For the Kings to be able to continue to improve they will need to either get Evans to play better off the ball or become a better PG

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

they got their big man in cousins and their star in tyreke. i think this could go well! and yeah, u just gotta love landry!

12. Asian Sensation

I don't think they can all play together because they don't have a good enough distributor. You know who would fit like a glove for that team though?

Darren Collison.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am not convinced Tyreke Evans is a star that can make his teammates better. Kevin Martin was not able to play with him.

Cousins is an overweight knucklehead that needs more solid veterans than the Kings have.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well IMHO it depends on what you think a "bright future" is. Their management is 10x better than the normal lottery team in the West(like Clips, Grizzlies, Wolves), and they've been really good at drafting players. However they don't seem like a team "on the rise" to a contender just yet. Its too early to tell whether Tyreke "20-5-5" Evans is a franchise player or is just the next franchise (as in Francis). Whiteside is gonna turn out to be a great defensive player from the way he played, however it seems he has bad hands and low bball iq (apart from D). Cousins? He showed great bball IQ, good offensive and rebounding ability, but also poor focus and desire to play. The way he trailed off and lost interest in the summer league was definitely a red flag to me, after tearing a hole the first few games he lost interest and put up only 40% the last 2 games. Is this an indication of his rookie season? I don't know we'll see.

So IMHO the Kings are miles ahead of teams like the Grizz or Wolves or Blazers (my how the mighty have fallen). However they're not the next Thunder just yet. I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year, so if they continue to draft like this maybe they'll be much stronger next year.

15. Raven

Raven Member

If Cousins gets his head straight, and if Cousins doesn't sign with Miami in a few years, yes they do.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They need to start thinking about signing Carl to an extension if they're intent on keeping him. One would think they are.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the key is "future"...some of the posts doubting them are talking about the present, not the future. They've done a great job of spreading talent around, instead of racking up talents in one or two spots like Minny, or mismatching their core by having really young and inexperienced players with older players like a few other young teams. Its good to have variety, but you need the significant players to be closer in age/experience.

Yes, a true pf is a need of theirs, but what others holes do they really have? not many.

JT/Whiteside
    Landry/Cousins
    casspi/greene
    evans

that's their true core and the age range is 20-26 and really it's more 20-24 as landry is the only one over 24. That's a nice tight range to have...they still have at least another year or two of lottery drafts and having nice talent at spots 2 through 4 they can concentrate on drafting a starting pg.

Their problem is going to be the contracts of Garcia and Udrih. It's 11-12 million tied up on players that aren't long term guys and they each have two more seasons before they can be considered expiring.

Perhaps they should try trading Udrih for Rudy + fillers. It leaves them with a big hole at PG, but that's fine for now, as it makes their SF spot very solid with Casspi and Rudy. They should then trade Greene for a temp starting point who can back up later.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

They need better players on the wing.

19. H-Town Rockets Guy

Cousins is a great pick if he can control himself on and off the court.
    Evans to me is way overrated. I watched a lot of sacremento games last year after the landry trade, and all I saw was a ball hog that tried to put up 20+ shots a game to score 20 points and he does not even look for his teammates when he has the ball.
    They have a group of good role players but they are all average. Nobody on this team is turning heads now.

20. SuraGotMadHops