1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dennis Rodman is filming a documentary in Best Korea with the Globetrotters

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by underoverup, Feb 26, 2013.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

WTH.....:confused:

Dennis Rodman’s bizarre trip to North Korea: Is it also unethical?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rre-trip-to-north-korea-is-it-also-unethical/

American basketball star Dennis Rodman and several members of the Harlem Globetrotters are in North Korea, where they will film for a forthcoming Vice/HBO program and promote some “basketball diplomacy,” including pick-up games in Pyongyang.

Whatever the trip’s impact, it reminds me of a debate that I’ve heard many times among people who work on issues relating to North Korea: What are the ethical pros and cons of visiting the world’s most oppressive country? Although there is no consensus view and a significant minority of North Korea-watchers say that visiting the country helps to open it up, I most frequently hear experts argue that tourism is unethical because it directly funds and offers free propaganda to the regime.

Scott Snyder of the Council on Foreign Relations, with whom I exchanged e-mails several months ago about the ethics of visiting North Korea, wrote back that “there are plenty of ethical dilemmas and few answers when it comes to dealing with the DPRK.” He explained, “Any interaction with North Korea involves an element of moral hazard. It was a central question that dominated and polarized the humanitarian aid community from the start of its interaction with North Korea in response to the famine in the mid-1990s.”

Quotes from the people who set up Rodman’s visit might give you a sense of its mission, which certainly so far seems to emphasize promoting Vice and Rodman a bit more than actual track-two diplomacy. (That doesn’t mean Rodman’s trip must be necessarily bad, but I make this point to explain why I’m treating it as an act of tourism and commerce rather than research or diplomacy.)

“Is sending the Harlem Globetrotters and Dennis Rodman to the DPRK strange? In a word, yes,” said Vice founder Shane Smith, who visited the country in 2009 for Vice, which has made a name for itself by blending journalism with adventure tourism. “But finding common ground on the basketball court is a beautiful thing.”

Rodman’s agent told the Associated Press, “When I discussed with Dennis the invite to go to North Korea and meet with Kim Jong and the Korean national basketball team as part of a documentary for HBO, he knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have a fun shoot around playing basketball and would give him the chance to speak directly to Kim Jong that the only way to go is with peace not war.” “Kim Jong” is presumably North Korean leader Kim Jong Eun, whom its difficult to imagine meeting with Rodman.

So is tourism to North Korea ethically good, actively unethical or in some neutral middle ground? Here’s what people smarter and more knowledgable than myself have said about it.

The debate often turns on money. Trips to North Korea are expensive and must go entirely through the North Korean government, which badly needs every scrap of foreign currency it can get. Handing several thousand dollars to a regime that runs a rogue nuclear weapons program and a vast network of gulags is distasteful for obvious reasons, though some point out that this is a relatively small amount of money unlikely to determine Kim Jong Eun’s ultimate fate. Either way, there are larger issues here.

2. smr6

smr6 Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Why did you post a picture of Dennis Rodman in a Kenyon Martin thread?

4. smr6

smr6 Member

[​IMG]

???

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

You're confusing me.

Keep this thread on track by only posting pictures of Dennis Rodman.

[​IMG]

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

He's either going to scare the hell out of them or cause WWIII

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

interesting to me, not because of Rodman's involvement, but because HBO and Vice are teaming up for this documentary.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/24R8JObNNQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pretty fascinating stuff. just to be able to bring a camera crew and group of Americans in is a big enough feat in itself.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/12/strangest-things-weve-learned-about-kim-jong-un/46408/

He's obsessed with basketball, and used to sketch Michael Jordan: The Washington Post reported in 2009 that Kim Jong-un's school friends recalled he "spent hours doing meticulous pencil drawings of Chicago Bulls superstar Michael Jordan." He also apparently has a picture of himself with the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant and the Chicago Bulls' Toni Kukoc, according to the English version of the Korean Chosunilbo. That same report also quoted a school friend of Kim Jong-il who said he had a massive collection of Nike sneakers worth about $200 a pair. His friends remembered him as "explosive" on the court and highly competitive, though he was shy with girls

9. smr6

smr6 Member

Anyone else picture a grown asian man using crayons to draw stick figures with a red 23 jersey on with a basketball in one hand?

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

This explains all the PMs written in Korean I've been getting

1 person likes this.
  11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. underoverup

underoverup Member

The only place Kim Jong Chub was explosive was the bathroom.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

It's a reference to the "Can Royce White be the Next Dennis Rodman thread" IIRC. And the OP posted a picture of Kenyon Martin (that exact picture), instead of Dennis Rodman.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

the ultimate american representative to send to a country that has no idea what america is about :eek:

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude Dennis Rodman is the American Dream

from being super poor to being a superstar, from being a super shy kid to a rock star

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

and he sucks at geography, so he's actually a perfect representative for Americans.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Once there was Hanoi Jane, now there is Pyongyang Dennis.

19. Anxiety Trooper

I liked the tea girl. Will watch part 2&3

20. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better home-court advantage than the Thunder?:

[​IMG]