1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

they don't need a screen in settings to do that stuff. regardless, the whole premise of some sort of auto update that enabled covid tracking by default is incorrect.

but yeah...welcome to smartphones. You're not wrong that most people don't care in general, or at least have accepted what they consider the tradeoff cost to be. at least this time it might actually be useful reason like fighting a pandemic instead of just keeping instagram tags up for some more ad data for facebook to sell, i guess.

#8221 Coach AI, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    B-Bob likes this.
  2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Well, pork shortage is finally hitting me.

I run a small factory that produces a meat product that uses 'off cuts' of pork (snouts, heart, tongue) and for the first time in this pandemic,I am not able to get frozen pork snout. I use about 2000 lbs of snout a week.

My supplier said that they just couldn't find anyone that has snout since the slaughter plants are running at partial capacity due to labor shortage.

The federal food safety inspector that comes every day says that 3 of his 5 plants are working intermittently because they couldn't get pork picnic shoulder in consistently.

I am going to call a couple of other suppliers to see if I can get some in or I'll have to stop work.

Nook likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Brazoria, looks like a zombie infection of the data entry department. Or alcohol.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody-idUSKBN23T1CJ?taid=5ef100de87586b0001d2201b&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Antibody levels in recovered COVID-19 patients decline quickly: research

BEIJING (Reuters) - Levels of an antibody found in recovered COVID-19 patients fell sharply in 2-3 months after infection for both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients, according to a Chinese study, raising questions about the length of any immunity against the novel coronavirus.

The research, published in Nature Medicine on June 18, highlights the risks of using COVID-19 ‘immunity passports’ and supports the prolonged use of public health interventions such as social distancing and isolating high-risk groups, researchers said.

Health authorities in some countries such as Germany are debating the ethics and practicalities of allowing people who test positive for antibodies to move more freely than others who don’t.

The research, which studied 37 symptomatic patients and 37 asymptomatic patients, found that of those who tested positive for the presence of the IgG antibody, one of the main types of antibodies induced after infection, over 90% showed sharp declines in 2-3 months.

The median percentage decrease was more than 70% for both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients.

For neutralising serum antibodies, the median percentage of decrease for symptomatic individuals was 11.7%, while for asymptomatic individuals it was 8.3%.

The study was conducted by researchers at Chongqing Medical University, a branch of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention and other institutes.

Jin Dong-Yan, a virology professor at the University of Hong Kong who was not part of the research group, said the study does not negate the possibility that other parts of the immune system could offer protection.

Some cells memorize how to cope with a virus when first infected and can muster effective protection if there is a second round of infection, he said. Scientists are still investigating whether this mechanism works for the new coronavirus.

“The finding in this paper doesn’t mean the sky is falling,” he said, also noting that number of patients studied was small.

Link to study https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

Nook, B-Bob and Ziggy like this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe someone more knowledgable can pitch in, but I believe a decline in antibodies doesn't means much of anything as long as the memory cells still exist. It just means there isnt a current infection and nothing has activated the antibody producing cells.

7. Buck Turgidson

Does your bologna have a first name?

The whole meat shortage/emergency reopening of packing plants was a sham. Exports spiked immediately after the reopenings and have not come back down, as of the last time I looked.

Nook likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

"Some cells memorize how to cope with a virus when first infected and can muster effective protection if there is a second round of infection." said the virus. "You will want a second wave for sure. That's our best chance. I mean you best chance. Yeah. Your best chance. Second wave."

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It would depend on a lot of things. I don't think we could do anything like this as America is currently constructed. I was just pointing out another avenue where things could go, however that latest antibody study doesn't seem to be positive. We would also have to fundamentally change the overall health profile of the entire country and no one really has any desire to do that. It's actually hard work to change your lifestyle.

I mean if we look at the RGV area I believe Hidalgo county has diabetes rates approaching 30% if the study I saw was correct. That's just obscene. They are currently getting hit the hardest per capita in Texas I believe. I haven't actually done the numbers to figure it out yet. Anyhow, we have ignored the negatives that obesity and diabetes have on every aspect of life and increased mortality. We are seeing the EXTREMELY obvious connection these things have to mortality and covid but don't really seem to be doing much to alter these underlying issues.

In my perfect world, if there was some sort of mass crusade to improve correctable health issues associated with diet and nutrition along with a herd immunity type approach to combat covid then I would guess that would probably result in a significant reduction of net deaths per year. However, if we just try to do a herd immunity type approach without the necessary changes then who knows how many excess deaths happen as a result.

From https://www.kff.org/health-costs/issue-brief/state-data-and-policy-actions-to-address-coronavirus/ we can guesstimate that there are about 41 million American adults under 65 with underlying issues. I haven't seen great numbers on mortality rates of at risk under 65 people but I'd guess it's somewhere around 0.3% based on the NYC data estimates of infection rates and number of deaths of people with underlying conditions under 65. So that would possibly be around 125k-150k deaths with no sort of health intervention. That's just my quick calculation. I probably missed some things, so it could be higher.

Nook and Amiga like this.
  10. jchu14

Hah. It's not bologna, but similar but more niche product. I don't know if the meat shortage is a sham. All I know is that multiple meat processers like me in Houston have production issues due to an inability to buy raw pork.

11. Buck Turgidson

12. jchu14

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One pig = one tongue, one heart, one snout. Wierd that you can get one and not the other. Are there a whole bunch more applications for pig snout than tongue and heart? Or has there been a rash of porcine facial mutilations?

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

15. jchu14

I am not sure. Maybe the profit margin of pork snout is too low for slaughter houses to process if there is a shortage in manpower? Pork tongue is the most pricey at about $1.50 a pound, pork snout is about $1 per pound and heart is the cheapest at $0.80 per pound.

There is a noticeable drop in number of hogs slaughtered in the US in April. 12 million hogs were slaughtered in April, but only 9.4 million hogs in April. Don't have May numbers yet. https://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/Livestock_Slaughter/hgheadx3.php

There is also a noticeable drop in pork in cold storage. It dropped from about 610 million pounds to 475 million pounds in storage. https://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/Livestock_Cold_Storage/pork.php

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whoa! That's sobering. If any need convincing that Covid-19 "isn't the flu," they should check this out. Kind of weird to say this, but nice find. There is nothing "nice" about this plague. Nothing at all.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I saved the previous link to this posted weeks ago, but it became outdated over time, and I am glad we have a FRESH one! With that said, the previous chart had a segment for "automobile accidents" - that appears to have been removed? :(

Deckard likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The covid has now turned into a small cold. 50% percent of the people were positive and barely had symptoms.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Houston is exploding with cases, I think its likely it we re-close soon.

20. Major

Major Member

Can't close unless the governor allows it. And that seems ... unlikely.