1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congressional Black Caucus complains not enough black cabinet picks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by otisthorpe3, Mar 27, 2013.

1. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

[​IMG]

http://inthecapital.com/2013/03/25/...nal-black-caucus-speaks-ou/#ss__44092_1_0__ss

The DC universe has been a buzz the past week as the locally prominent Congressional Black Caucus came out strongly condemning the White House and the President specifically for his failure to nominate more minorities to cabinet level positions in his second term. For those of you playing along at home, there are currently two high level black members of the administration, both of whom were instated in Obama’s first term: Eric Holder as Attorney General and U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk. Susan Rice, who as you recall was floated for the position of Secretary of State, remains on as Ambassador to the U.N.

To some, this may seem adequate. But for many of the members of the Congressional Black Caucus who represent largely African American districts, it’s an obvious slight. Especially considering how pivotal these communities were to Barack Obama’s first and second elections. The is the line being adopted by Congresswoman Marcia Fudge, a Democrat from Ohio who took over the leadership of the CBC this term. In a public letter to the Obama Administration, Representative Fudge expressed this sentiment in no uncertain terms. “The people you have chosen to appoint in this new term have hardly been reflective of this country’s diversity. Their ire is compounded by the overwhelming support you’ve received from the African-American community.” Of course it doesn’t help either that it’s been over two years since the President has last met with the Congressional Black Caucus, which prides itself on championing the rights of minorities and the working class.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Black and liberal here, but a lot of these guys are largely already gerry-mandered in; and, aside from confirmation process itself, the legislature really shouldn't be dictating executive appointments to the President. This is also a fairly trite thing to complain about: I really hope they spend more time partnering with other caucuses to champion issues that concurrently affect blacks rather than complaining about proportionality and "reflectiveness."

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I always find it stupid when people who don't want to be discriminated against think it is not considered discrimination if population proportionality is enforced.

Just because 50% of the population is male, doesn't mean every organization should have exactly 50% males. If we treat different groups equally, then statistically speaking all kinds of disproportionate numbers are possible when hiring based on skills alone.

Having said that, I'm not aware of whether the current make up is skills-based or whether people suspect that race has played a factor in cabinet level nominations.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

...and by the way -- nice job on the two that you did nominate, Barack. Holder and Susan Rice have been two sensational failures

I guess it's taken a few years for the congressional black caucus to realize that Barack is not really black...he was raised by whites and an Asian, attended white colleges, grew up surrounded by practically zero blacks, etc. Sitting in on Jeremiah Wright sermons can't change that, sorry

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They tend to find it stupid that white males are strangely always over represented in positions of power.

6. CometsWin

No proof strikes again.

7. bigtexxx

which part of my post do you disagree with? If anything had no proof, it was your 4 word snipe post

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

So their reaction is to engage in their own discrimination?

Both of those problems are solved the same way: total disregard for race.

Neither of the problems is solved by paying any particular attention to race.

Adjusting the numbers to mirror the population is equally discriminatory. So even though it is the case that white males may be favored as you mention, the solution is certainly not to force a different situation using the same abusive powers.

9. bigtexxx

So you think the congressional black caucus is claiming Barack is racist for not appointing more blacks to the cabinet?

10. CometsWin

The problem is never solved. That's the problem. When a demographic votes 90% for a candidate then politically they expect to be included in governing.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They are being critical because he hasn't appointed more minorities. They seem to believe that only minorities can represent minorities or that non-minorities can't adequately represent minorities. I think that's a fallacy, and I would be saying the same thing if all the nominations were minorities - I expect anyone in thoese positions to be responsible for and capable of representing everyone they are meant to represent regardless of their own or their people's race.

Whether they believe that's because of racism on his part I don't know. It might be racism I guess (I've met Arabs racists towards Arabs), but more likely it might be a number of other things for example political strategy.

12. CometsWin

No, they're not claiming that. Is that what conservatives were claiming when they posted here trashing the President for all the white guys in his cabinet?

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The problem is never solved? lol great attitude. Too bad MLK or Gandhi didn't think this way right?

If that's what they expect, they are morons. Americans vote for and are represented by Americans. Demographic traits have nothing to do with inclusion in governance. Obama's time as president is a massive example of that. He doesn't owe black or indonesian or hawaiian people any more than he does Bill Gates. He's responsible for everyone the same, and if one group feels like he's favoring other groups more, then they should hold him accountable to his job description not his genetic make up. In this case if minorities feel like no one is protecting their interests, they should ask for someone who will protect their interests. It's crazy to ask for more minorities since this won't necessarily solve the problem. Attributing the failure of governors to a demographic trait just perpetuates the problem, shields governors from true criticism and brings racist to power.

I can't believe you're arguing with this. I'm merely stating that enforcing racial quotas won't solve the problem of racism. This is why the herman Cains of the world don't make it. It's about what you do, not what you look like.

14. CometsWin

Yes, they're being critical because minorities overwhelmingly helped Obama get elected and as such they have an expectation of being a part of governing. Mitt Romney sure as hell doesn't give a **** about issues in minority communities so while it's true that you don't have to be minority to represent minorities, it certainly helps to give perspective on issues.

15. CometsWin

Demographic traits have nothing to do with inclusion in governance. LOL

You really don't know what you're talking about.

16. Classic

Classic Member

Where all the 18-25 yr olds on his staff? I mean, young people heavily voted for him too.

It's like this guy just sets out to discriminate at any opportunity.

17. bigtexxx

Much of this post is quite good. I think one point that you may not see as a non-American is the mentality of "I'll vote for you in exchange for some free schit from you". For example, free Obamaphones, free healthcare, more food stamps, etc. There is an expectation that they will be rewarded for their vote through handouts, apparently even including cabinet posts.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I know they have nothing to do with it, but your argument supports it. Why should minorities be given cabinet nominations in exchange for voting for the person who offered the best deal?

Maybe we are in a statistical anomaly year and in fact none of the people who would serve minority interests are minorities themselves. That's why it's stupid to ask for minorities, even though I have nothing against their ultimate goal - appropriate representation. But I completely reject the notion that appropriate representation can only or will only be attained through matching minority status of cabinet nominations with voters. That's preposterous, and that's what I think you are saying.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They want to be heard, that's what I see. I just don't particularly like the way they go about it, by perpetuating racial polarization.

They could just as easily have made this request without any mention of minority status or race.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with with your logic, but how can they avoid talking minority status
    or race if what they want is more minorities in his cabinet? :confused: