1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calderon desires starting job

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coldsweat, May 9, 2008.

1. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

http://www.thestar.com/article/423237

I believe that the Raptors desired to keep both of them, but it seems like Calderon or Ford will be traded. I was surprised Calderon posted this declaration considering that he gave up his starting job to Ford willingly. I don't know who I would keep either - Calderon is the better player in my opinion, but because he is, the Raptors can acquire more with him through trade (perhaps a talented center/forward to pair with bosh instead of the letdown that bargnani was). Ford is less tradeable because of his injury history. Now that Calderon has declared his desires, this could lower the bargaining leverage of the Raptors also. Other teams know that that the Raptors have to deal one of them and will low-ball them. On the other hand, since Calderon is a highly-sought after player by multiple teams, maybe the competition between these teams will prevent low-ball offers. I don't know.

I am pessimistic about the Rockets chances of acquiring him. I think the Raptors will keep Calderon because he is still developing, yet is already better than Ford, and is willing to take a lower contract to stay with the Raptors (I read this fact in another analysis which I will post below). I think they will deal Ford instead, even if they receive a less than ideal offer. Maybe the Rockets will jump on the possibility for Ford? The Raptors would desire a power forward and a backup to Calderon (for example, Jackson + Landry). I am not in favor of this trade, I am just outlining realistic scenarios I see in this situation.

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I wish Calderon loves Houston as much as Francis does....

3. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I would give Landry for Ford, they can have the first round pick instead

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Trades don't work like that.

Ford makes 9 million a year and Carl Landry is a free agent who realistically will make about 3 million a year tops.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Wouldn't mind the rockets taking a chance on either one.

It would suck if the Blazers got either one for spare parts.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

we aren't getting either one of these... NEXT.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd rather have Calderon than Ford. Not that either would happen.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This is the kind of wrench the Rockets needed to have a chance at Calderon.

Good or not, the chances of getting Calderon in Rocket red have gone up.

I'd give up this year's 1st round pick for an established starting point guard, Calderon included.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

how tradeable is ford? do nba contracts protect teams from lawsuits if a player suffers from a lifelong injury?

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I would imagine so. You'd have to think the NBA put some kind of stipulation in the standard NBA contract about injuries since it's sports.

I think Ford would be gone before Calderon, but his 2 near career threatening injuries will scare teams away. How much of a bargain do the Raptors want to let Ford go for? How high on Calderon are they?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea yea yea :rolleyes:

and No way the Rockets could get T-Mac
    No way the Rockets would get Francis back
    No way the Rockets would get a 7'6 Center from CHINA!! WHO CAN PLAY!!

Rocket River
    . . . NEXT

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets need to go for Calderon!I think Calderon will leave the raptors for sure.

In fact, giving the starting position to Ford means he didn't expect to play for the raptors next season. I believe some teams can offer him more than MEL, such as, bobcats, heats, ... In that situation, the raptors cannot keep him. But, I think, if a bigger market team (e.g., lakers or rockets) offers him a MEL, he will accept it as well. In this situation, that team needs make a trade to the raptors for him.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

You could give Jackson and either Scola or Landry to make the numbers work. With that said, I would prefer Calderon and would give a lot to get him.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Ultimately Calderon has no say in whether he stays in Toronto or not, unless he decides not to play in the NBA. The Raptors can match any offer.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ultimately, he does have a say but it involves some risk. He can say he doesn't want to be on Toronto anymore and accept the 1 year tender, then be totally unrestricted next season.......when a lot of teams have major capspace.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Colangelo is secretly hoping that Calderon signs a FA offer sheet at the MLE that he can match. Colangelo would probably consider Calderon a bargain at the MLE. And it would probably be in Calderon's best interests long term to accept the 1-year tender and become unrestricted. If he stays healthy next season and continues to put up great numbers like this season, he's likely to get a much better offer as an unrestricted next season. And this is how he could force BC's hand to trade him during the season......that is, if he is willing to accept the risk of playing on a 1-year contract in order to get free and go where he wants to go, if indeed he desires to leave Toronto. But I have seen no indication that he wants to leave Toronto. On the contrary, I have seen him say he wants to be there next year.

I fully expect Colangelo to sign him to a long term deal and I fully expect that T.J. Ford will be traded.

16. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I'd trade Scola over Landry.. Landry is multi-dimensional.

17. Sooner423

Yeah, he would have to come in a sign and trade. I think some combination of Battier, Scola, Landry, Brooks and the #25 pick would interest them.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is exactly what Calderon said.

http://josemanuelcalderon.com/indexEN.html

"As of today, the Raptors would like me to continue, however until the 1st of July we will not know anything about the possible renewal or other offers from teams interested in me for next season. What is clear is the fact that if I have to choose between a sports offer versus an economic offer, I will opt for the first. I want to be a starter and to be in a team that aspires for everything. Of course I will not be on a team in which I cannot be an important contributor nor if there is not a solid structure or if there are not options to be in the “Playoffs”.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Would you guys give up Shane, plus maybe Luther, for T.J, who would be our new starting PG and would push Rafer to a backup where he belongs? My hunch is the Raptors would prefer to keep Calderon instead.

20. Sooner423

All that is fine and dandy, but if he is going to switch teams, it is ultimately up to the Raptors. They have to receive a trade offer that they can't refuse or they're just going to match any offer he gets. The only possible hold-up is if Calderon threatens to sit out and he doesn't seem like the type to do that.