1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Amy Schumer, Bill Hader & Lebron James in Judd Apatow's 'Trainwreck'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Feb 11, 2015.

1. VanityHalfBlack

The reason why she is a marketable hit is because you know, her stand up is pretty damn amazing. Which lead to her hit show Inside Amy Shumer which made her an even bigger star. She is the female version of Dave Chappele?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I tried to watch it yesterday and it was sold out.

Guess it's getting good buzz.

Saw ant man instead.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

She's far from the first to tackle female sexuality in stand-up form, but she's probably the best at it so far. Her speech patterns are more male-centric so I think that is one reason she's been able to take the torch away from Sarah Silverman.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

In my opinion the reason Sarah never "took over" is because while she's incredibly funny, her shtick is that she's a mean girl. Amy is more of a guy's gal like you said.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I remember walking out on "Funny People" because it felt like Apatow's home movie, what with his daughter and wife in such a looooooooooong (boring) portion. I was thinking, Really? There's no one at the studio who could've reined this in?

Leslie Mann I like better when she isn't in her husband's movies.

A lot of Judd's stuff is pretty good. He just doesn't have an EDIT function.

7. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

Just got back from the theater, great movie, ran a tad too long but great fun movie.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Amy Schumer isn't funny. There, I said it.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Who's responsible for trying to make this adult Cabbage Patch doll happen?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

NSFW

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Schumer wasn't funny enough to carry the movie. Sadly Bill Hader played it straight for the entire movie.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lebron's getting rave reviews for his acting:

James plays a version of himself, which The Atlantic’s Christopher Orr calls, “the cleverest counter-self-portrait since Michael Cera’s coke-addled sex fiend in ‘This is the End.’ ”

The film version of James pinches pennies and loves “Downton Abbey,” which is a good setup considering James is incredibly wealthy and his real-life favorite TV show is “Martin.”

The Washington Post’s own Ann Hornaday complimented James’s “expert, deadpan timing” in his scenes, of which there are quite a few.

Indeed, the New York Times’ Manohla Dargis says, James delivers a “surprisingly limber comic presence,” a feat that seemingly surprised her as she called the NBA star’s inclusion in the cast “a heat-seeking gimmick.”

But gimmick, it is not, says The Chicago Sun Times’s Richard Roeper. “James holds his own in scenes with Hader and Schumer, and that’s pretty darn impressive.”

The word “impressive” also showed up in The Los Angeles Times’ Rebecca Keegan‘s review. She said, “His performance reflects impressive off-court timing and a sense of humor about his own image.”

“James is charming in the part,” The Hollywood Reporter’s John DeFore writes. He exhibits, “deadpan perfection,” Variety’s Scott Foundas says.

Even The Wall Street Journal’s Joe Morgenstern, who was probably the hardest on James, was wooed by the end of the film.

“Mr. James goes from playing a clumsy version of the cheapskate defined by Jack Benny in the golden age of radio to an imposing, and endearing, version of himself. In one terrific sequence he and Aaron shoot hoops. In another he delivers, with impeccable comic timing, a dissertation on marriage that centers on Kanye West.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/07/17/lebron-james-is-not-a-train-wreck-in-trainwreck-critics-say/

13. GRENDEL

Saw it this weekend. It was solid but it's very much a rom-com regardless of the vulgar stuff. Schumer was good but it wasn't laugh out loud funny, I chuckled a lot.

I'm surprised Lebron's acting is getting so much play, I thought he was pretty still with all the line delivers and didn't really impress me much. I actually thought Amare was much more natural.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Isn't lebron just playing lebron?

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I saw the trailers and he didn't seem all that great at acting. Better than most NBA players like Durant in Thunderstruck (hahahahhahahha) but still not that good.

Also.. did they CGI his hairline? Lmfao.

16. GRENDEL

More or less but I just didn't think he was all that natural and definitely not worth all the praise he's been getting.

LOL about the CGI on his hairline, that might be on the bonus feature on the disk.

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Hard to say that about a comedian who earns over 100,000 per show.
    Every successful comedian thrives on the audience that finds them relatable. the more people that consistently relate to their POV the more famous they become. She's not my cup of tea either but I think she's been able to infuse a smart snark into strong silatious content that had been previously reserved for male comics. She's likable, vulnerable and does to the "slut next door" thing nicely. For my money and her style I'd prefer Rachael Feinstein or Iliza Shlesinger. I'll bet they're pulling their hair out right now...

...as I am over Craig Robinson's new show. :mad::(:)

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Someone tried to turn me on to her show and sense of humor. I admit I didn't find it funny. But, to be fair, I probably need to catch her stand-up routine and maybe this movie will help me finally determine if I am or am not a fan. I found her talk show interview on Fallon kind of annoying. Just the way she kept saying "Thank You" throughout the interview. It was like every time she said it...she was trying to overemphasize it like she was saying it for the first time each time. Maybe if Fallon would have quit complimenting her so much...her whole interview wouldn't have been "thank you...thank you...thank you...thank you". lol. She kind of annoys me at times but that may be part of her schtick as a comedian? In the looks department, I'm also confused. Sometimes...I think she's kind of hot and, at other times, not so much.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Craig has a new show?????
    Wow!

Rocket River
    TO THE GOOGLES!!

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think the whole Amy Schumer appeal was captured perfectly in this week's episode of True Detective in which a female police officer (Rachel McAdams) is ordered to attend a sexual harassment group for having relations with a subordinate male officer.

McAdams is sitting there silently listening to oblivious macho cops talk about why the sexually suggestive things they say aren't grounds for sexual harassment when she is finally coaxed into giving her opinions by the counselor and then begins talking (sarcastically) about how she just enjoys large penises.

The counselor tries to dissuade her from continuing but the men quickly tell him to shut up and let her keep talking.

This is partly why Amy Schumer appeals to a broad audience. American men seek to suppress and shame female sexuality as they find it intimidating, but if there is a chance a "slut" would possibly sleep with them then they are fully on board with letting the allegedly sluttiness take its course and reveal itself.