1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

MVP or Conference Finals Appearance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 2, 2015.

?

MVP or Conference Finals?

1. Harden for MVP: an MVP season is more memorable

29 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Conference Finals: winning in the playoffs matters the most, even if we don't go all the way.

248 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm just curious how the board feels about this.

If you could choose between two outcomes, Harden wins the MVP and we don't make it to the conference finals (so, first or second round defeat), or Harden doesn't win the MVP and we lose in the conference finals, which would it be?

Does an MVP award mean more than a guarantee of more playoff success than we've seen since the mid 90s? Note that in both scenarios, we don't make it to the Finals.

2. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

An MVP and second round appearance is obviously better than nothing other than a Conference Finals exit.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

No brainer. Would have been more intriguing if the MVP award didn't necessarily preclude reaching the conference finals

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm probably in the minority in this, but if we're not going to win the championship, I'd rather Harden get the MVP. Big picture, having an actual MVP will do wonders for our recruiting of free agents. Also, as a fan, I will remember more fondly on the special season that Harden had than a Conference Final loss if it is legitimized by the MVP award.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Conference finals for me. I love the playoffs and anything that means more playoff games means more fun for me. I already know Harden should be the MVP, so wondering whether or not some media personalities agree with me doesn't keep me up at night.

1 person likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

MVP with 2nd round exit.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Conference finals

Team success >>>>>>>>> Individual success

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I pick finals MVP.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Seeing as how the two aren't mutually... Both?

10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

MVP means nothing. There is no I in TEAM. Individual accolades are only a component of true success. Just look at fat boy on TNT.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Gotta win in the playoffs, that's what defines a legacy. No one is going to remember guys like Nash cause he never reached the finals. If Harden wants to be remembered as a great, getting to Finals is a lot more important than MVP. Honestly, if Dream hadn't gotten that one in 94, he would still be considered one of the best players to ever play the game.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My answer would maybe be different if we weren't so starved for playoff success lately, but because we have, gotta take conference finals.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Let Curry have the MVP, he deserves it. I'd rather Harden along with Howard, Ariza and Jet lead Jones, Motiejunas, Prigioni, Canaan(oh wait we traded him) Brewer, Smith, Capela, Dorsey, Johnson and McDaniels to the NBA Finals and we get that elusive 3rd banner in Houston.

14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

This question angers me, i would take getting out of the first round over the mvp. If Harden wins the MVP it wil do nothing but put more pressure on the Rockets. Can you imagine what the narritive will be if he wins the MVP and doesnt get out of the first round? It will be an embarrassment

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Conference Finals would mean more of course, but even if Harden somehow wins the MVP and they go out early in the playoffs for whatever reason that doesn't mean that its not a huge accomplishment.

Maybe people here will poopoo on Harden if that is to happen, and they will probably blame McHale and Morey for running him ragged, etc. during the regular season because that's just how it works around here.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:p

17. Ngadban389

Ngadban389 Member

Is one exclusive to the other?

I'll take both, Thank You

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I no longer vote in non-public polls, but I'll answer in this post, because it's so damned easy. Getting to the WC Finals, of course. Nothing matters more than getting to the series that has the winner playing for the championship. No individual accomplishments can top that, in my not very humble opinion.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Some people really take an individual award over the success of the whole team? Embarrassing.

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Not sure I agree. Take Curry out of the warriors and their system and remaining players allow them to win some games. Take beard out and the Rockets will look like special needs players.