1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Ok?

Who gives a **** if he can help get Tjones 16-17ppg in the regular season. What matters is can he be that third player, among 5 crucial players, at the end of a deep game that can close it out for us.

Meaning can we depend on him to make that stop, hit that open jumper, or make the right play?

I think he can be, he hasn't been able to make that shot yet but he'll get there. Everything else is way above average in those departments.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not suggesting we make him a player he's not.

I'm suggesting we coach him to better allocate his shot selection. To take more of what he can do (shoot 3s at the wings) and less of what he can't (mid-range).

Player development is as much on the organization as it is on the player (see Goldsberry's comment). The are hundreds of stories of good players that were continuously put in positions to fail, and they did.

Despite the shortcomings of the Wolves franchise (who most would agree is one of the worst at player development), Rubio has still proven to have elite skills. This isn't a "promising player".....he's a proven commodity with holes in his game.

The real problem everyone has with Rubio is that he can't finish at the rim.
    Because of everything else he brings to the table, I'm willing to gamble on him getting better there. You've got to take risks with every player, and he's the best risk-reward investment (minus Dragic) available.

3. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Those comparisons are the only numbers anywhere close. Everywhere else on the court he is absolutely wretched (not bad, I mean nba bottom 5 bad). Maybe it's mental but for the past 2 years he has absolutely been horrific at shooting. Rondo is actually pretty good inside the 3 point line. Parker is excellent inside the 3 point line. Rubio is bad EVERYWHERE. I have to completely disagree that he has the makings of a decent shooter. However I agree his other skills are near elite or elite. I'd take him and hope his shooting becomes just bad or average instead of historically bad like it is now, but a healthy rondo is clearly better (question whether rondo would be healthy) and is better even with the health risk I think. In any case Rubio wants the max. He doesn't deserve it.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

The reasons I brought up Rubios impact on TJones is because of TJones trade value. If Jones is putting up 16-17 points on 60% shooting, front offices will notice. Then we will flip him for our long term solution at the 4.

5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Fundraiser, I respect your view but I don't think the real problem is that he can't finish at the rim. His real problem is he can't shoot anywhere from he floor, at the rim or otherwise. When you're below average at the 3 point line, absolutely wretched inside the 3 point line and absolutely wretched at the rim, you've got a major problem. Hopefully you are right (if we get him). But he makes rafer Alston and rondo look like Kyle Korver.

6. Zbed

Zbed Member

If Rubio can clean up his 3pt shot just a little bit and his mid range game he'd be an all star. He's a triple double threat every night

7. NotChandlerParsons

He took 264 midrange shots, exactly the same amount as Jeremy Lin on the midrange-hating Rockets. He doesn't take an excess of midrange shots, he just can't finish at the rim, which is why his FG% is so miserable.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Someone that averages 4 rebounds a game being a regular triple double threat?

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

17% of Lin's shots were mid-range. 33% of Rubios were mid-range. You're not adjusting for volume.

Also, most of Rubios mid-range shots were bad shots....just steps inside the arc stretching from wing to wing (the longest 2s you can take). That's what I'm saying....the rockets would coach that stuff out of him.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let's get Clyde and Calvin and John Lucas to work with Rubio (if he gets here).

Rubio starting, PBev off the bench, and sometimes those 2 running together with Harden at the 3.

Would it work? I'd like to think yes.

Will it happen? Tick tock tick tock. Plowman on the clock.

11. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Rubio would be fantastic. He has his flaws, but man does he make everyone around him better. He'd make things so much easier on Harden, which would allow him to play some defense like we've been seeing with the USA where he doesn't have to play PG and SG on offense.

These are just steals, but it gives you an idea of the defense he plays and effort he puts out. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lgwX55coEQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Any shot Rubio takes is a bad shot because he can't shoot for crap. What about the worst shooter in the NBA do you not understand? His 38% fg was the worst in the NBA last season and it was his career high.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think Rubio can help our team as much as we need.

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Rubio thinks he's a max player and wants a max deal. So you if you want him here, be prepared to pay the max for him. That's a lot to pay for a watered down version of Rondo.

15. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

I would only want rubio if we could keep bev and get ersan ilyasova

rubio/bev
    harden
    ariza
    ilyasova
    howard

is a contender

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nice! I would not mind Antigua as an assistant either, especially if he is steeped in Calipari's D schemes.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Getting Rubio would be one of the dumbest mistakes this franchise could make. I hated having Lin on this team but at least he shot better than Rubio. Do you honestly think Rubio made Kevin Love better? Rubio is not going to make Terence Jones any better. His defense is good but that does not make up for being a liability on the offensive end. What we need from a point guard is basically give ball to Harden, give ball to Howard, shoot 3's, play good d, make layups, and not lose the ball during critical plays. If Rubio is a liability on offense imagine the double teaming Harden will get because no one needs to worry about Rubio shooting. Rubio is what he is and if we are not getting a Rondo,Lowry, Bledsoe, or Dragic, then just roll as is until we can.

18. jttr

jttr New Member

s&t with the suns for bledsoe and trade for a better PF

Rubio can't play defense and his 3's is terrible , there is no way that rockets will tolerate a 'no defense' frontcourt , it would be a ****ing disaster . Forget about rondo , rockets don't have enough assets to make a s&t for him , the Celtics just want first-round picks . Actually , it is the best time for the rockets to make a move on Bledsoe , he's not healthy , he is injury-prone ,also he is in conflict with the sun's front office, so we might be able to crack into and try to make a deal with the suns. Bledsoe has a all-around skillsets for the pg position , and he excels in transitional offense and will be well-fitted in the current system of the rockets.
    I'd say trade Jones , Beverley , Johnson , pelican's first round pick and 1 second round pick for Bledsoe . It is highly unlikely that we can pull this deal off without seeking a third team to make this running smoothly , maybe the suns need to get another first-round pick from the third team in order to meet his own requirement.... = =

19. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Say N O to Ru Bi O.

20. jttr

jttr New Member

Jones + Johnson + Beverley + pelican's pick + 1 second round pick for Bledsoe = =

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.