1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Zwerling: Asik to be moved real soon, Atlanta/Millsap makes sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mirus

mirus Member

Source?Just curious.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jones, in his 14 games as a starter this seasons have averaged

12.7 PPG, 52% 3PT 40%, 8.6 RPG and 1.8 BPG in 29 mins.

Also, he's only 21, is on a rookie contract, plays good D, has a great frame/length at 6'9 250 with a 7'2 wingspan.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Horford maybe?

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets would not say no. The Pelicans would probably not say no. The Griz? A definite no. Could it be sweetened with first round picks? Certainly. The permutations are infinite. But the Griz are a middle aged team who probably would not see their lineup benefit from a 6-10 2014 pick. But who knows? Not me.

5. Spooner

Spooner Member

Also makes sense. Atlanta needs a center and much better point guard play. Teague isn't getting it done this year. I don't know that Horford is on the block though, it seems Randolph might be. Of the two I like Horford next to Howard a little better

6. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Thats a good point but one thing Morey has always been able to do is find talent to surround stars. Us having bev, harden, parsons, horford, asik can push us over the top...we get horford who has a good touch and is a big body. About him being a marginal all-star, the best player he has played with is josh smith and you can argue horford has played out of position his whole career.

7. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Oh, I completely agree with you. My argument was to trade Asik for Millsap. I love Millsap in the rotation with T JOnes and Howard, but I think we need a better rotation in the front court then what we have. I would still want to start Jones and Howard due to his production.

8. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

not asik, howard..still thinking about last year

9. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

No arguments here. I love the rotational ability Millsap gives us. Yes, if Howard gets into foul trouble, we become small, but T Jones has proven he can play the 5.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sullinger is too much a part of what Boston is doing IMO and a poorer fit next to Howard (again) IMO.

Tellum is the interesting wrench tossed in (yet again) IMO. He reps such guys as Horford (wants to be a 4, not 5); Humphries, whom Ainge would lovelovelove to give up for Asik, so how to sweeten the deal for him and DM the GM to be sated? Hawes, a fav target of mine if DM the GM can get old running mate Sam he Am to sweeten that pot; and Faried, who inexplicably (to me) has (supposedly/reportedly) been dangled early this year (as Nugs supposedly/reportedly don't want to pay him???

BTW - - LMA and RLopez are all Tellum guys.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I somehow have to disagree. Horford is not a star. He has proven over his career that he cannot put a team on his back and carry them forward. He cannot elevate a team. Howard pulled a talent poor Magic team to the finals. Harden took a Vegas estimated 28 win team to the playoffs. Horford? An enabler that I certainly would not mind seeing in the Rockets lineup, but certainly not worth crippling the bench and future draft picks for. Just MHO.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

I think that's a valid assesment. However, Horford's defense, rebounding and that excellent mid range game is so tantalizing. We could also play Horford at back up 5 solving that issue. The other thing to consider is that we'd save around 4 mil in cap if we traded Lin and Asik for him, enabling us to better focus our cap at the deadline and offseason. I think Horford puts us over the top IMO

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin and Ryan Anderson for a 33 year old Randolph?. No thank you.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It' all a moot point because the guy is about to enter his prime and you need a far better packiage then Lin/Asik to entice the Hawks.

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

Randolph has had a very productive season this year. He's one of the best available stars. We need help at his position. You wouldn't want to turn us into a title favorite? In any case, he has two years on his deal before he expires so his age doesnt really make that much of a difference at this point. It isn't a long term deal and his production has not dropped. You would actually be upset if the Rockets landed Zach Randolph? WOW. Some of you people are unreal. Now isn't the time to set up a future. We have a short window to win championships. I have no idea how you don't see that.

16. vvade

vvade Member

To everyone drooling over Millsap, if he's so good then why are the Hawks a 500 team in the East? He has Horford, Teague, Korver, Ayon, Williams, and Mack. We are a team drafting for need and not talent by making this trade straight up. I dislike how long it took us to get a center of Asik's caliber and how everyone just wants to give him away like a bag of chips.

Asik for Millsap and the right to swap picks + a future lottery protected first.

How has Schroeder looked this season? Is he worth giving up Aaron Brooks if it means we don't get any picks?

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A fair enough opinion. But it seems to me that Asik/Jones/2014 first round pick would be more than fair for Horford. They have Teague and do not need Lin. But Atlanta would not go for it. It would leave them thin in the backup center department for 18 minutes a game.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A milsap/Jones rotation could work. IMO i'm not sure getting another 4 would be the best use of Asik.

We have Jones who's going to get 30 mins, Howard with 35 mins we have Smith and Motiejunas who deserves around 10 mins a night especially if we don't have a real back up C, then you have small ball Casspi/Parsons at the 4 for 10-15 mins.

If we were to get Milsap, Smith and Motie would probably be permanently benched, Jones would get some min reduction and we would have less room for small ball and just sort of a log jam going on.

I honestly think, we should stick with Jones and the current rotations down low, try to get a decent back up Center and pick for Asik maybe. Give Motie and Smith the mins at the backup 4.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

If he was 30 or 29 yes, but our team as it is constructed has a 4 to 6 year window and I would think morey would target a guy in the mid to late 20's to go with the likes of Harden, Parsons and a 28 year old grandpa of the team in Howard.

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

I dont think we can choose. If a star like Randolph puts you over the top, you do it every time. Again, his production hasn't dropped and after one more year he expires and you'll have room to pursue a third max contract. I don't see how that isn't a major win.