1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey Fires Back At Misconceptions - In case you missed it...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

To answer the before-mentioned questions about Chron/Rocekts video clips:

$$$

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

DM said he won't overpay for him. Doesn't mean that he won't be in a Rockets uni for years to come.

3. worzel gummidge

Instead of paying Brightcove, why can't the Chron use Youtube to host videos?

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not in this business and can't comment on it. hope they can find a cheap way to resume the program.

btw, thank Anna Megan and Jonathan for all those clips. i enjoyed them.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I thought about and would like to respond to one of Daryl's points.

He said (and I am well aware that this might just be part of a negotiation tactic) that a contending team would be willing to pay more for a Chuck Hayes or Collison type player, and a team in the Rockets' situation would not.

Well - if you think that thought to the end, doesn't that mean that the top teams will always end up with the better role players, and, as a consequence, they will always stay on top, unless one of the lower teams suddenly gets one of the stars "by chance"?

It doesn't sound like Daryl has thought this through completely, unless he was just putting this out there as part of his negotiation with Chuck's agent.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

When you begin negotiating, do you tell the world you'll happily overpay?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But that is the point Bima, you can not control what 29 other teams are going to do, thus the particular strategy he is following seems less likely to succeed than drafting higher in the lottery.

There are always tons of people in the same line as you with all new shiny objects to trade, and then there is the motivation of the trading partner to consider as well.

This is 100% why I don't like that strategy, too many things you just can not control, it is almost like just hanging around the poker table and hoping to get lucky....

DD

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Where does he say that about bringing Hayes back? This is all I heard (transcribed by hsf09):

"When you're OKC, got Durant, who I think is one of the top players. Nick Collison,a Chuck Hayes type, I would not want to lose if I were them. If however in our situation and a guy or FA wants too much money, to give him that money, you're hurting yourself down the road. Once you stabilize on your core of guys you think you can win a title with, he might not fit that core. We cant be in a situation where we are evaluating chemistry of a group until we have our championship foundation in place."

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do you think if Morey was a lame duck, his goals would be long-term? That's the situation Rick was in. People assume he wouldn't be willing to look long term, but what choice did he have? He didn't have a contract for next year and no indication that he would get one.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

True. Morey firmly aligned himself with the owner rather than with the hall of fame coach, which is probably a smart move on his part...career-wise...

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How complicated is this? If your goal is to win championships you just can't overpay when you don't have the foundation established. In a league with a salary cap (and one that might be even more restrictive), only championship level teams with all-star talent can overpay for role players. It's not a question of being cheap, or being overly rigid. It's simply the fact that highly paid role players eat up cap space and are hard to flip for all star talent.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I understand that - but if you let the "good" (not star) players go because you are not in a position to win, and you let them go to those who are in a position to win, this makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. Basically, the consequence is that (in US school grade terms) the good teams not only have the "A" players, but also the "B" players, while the bad teams are stuck with the "C" players.

I understand that a "C" player might still develop into a "B" player and that it might be better to get the timing so that you get your "A" player when your "C" player just blossoms into a "B" player, but you still pay him as a "C" player, rather than overpaying a "B" player like an "A" player out of desperation, but still...in the short term, it makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. So if you have to let one of those "B" players go, you better do it in a way that at least gives you some upside (draft picks).

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Judas had dinner with Jesus ...

*ominous music plays*

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what a pleasant analogy.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Isn't that what Morey has done? He did not let Landry, Brooks and Battier walk. He replaced them with cheaper talent, or punted for draft picks. Ariza was house money with Yao's injury exception and I don't know what the point of keeping Artest would have been. Being able to flip Ariza for Lee was great player and cap management.

If there is a criticism of Morey is that he overpaid for Miller when he should have done what it took to get Gortat, or Chandler. I would have shifted Courtney Lee, or Martin to get one of those guys.

16. PeppermintCandy

Yup, and what bothers me is that GMs often seem to keep the Rockets around just to use them as leverage, all the while they negotiate with teams that they're actually interested in. I may be wrong but I don't think we were serious candidates for any of the big trades that have gone down - Carmelo, Deron Williams, Bosh - despite Morey saying how we were in the thick of it after the fact. I don't think we were close for Rubio or Nash a few summers ago either.

The only time we've "struck gold" was with NY, and that's because the Knicks were soooo desperate for the cap space to go after Lebron James. Those kinds of situations seem awfully rare, though.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what on earth could we have offered for those players?

He values his "assets" more than his trading partners do.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not only that. The bad teams will always have a high turnover roster because they have to let expensive "B" players leave and try to find "C" players with upside who hopefully will turn into "B" player. And since no coach likes a high turnover roster, only "C" coaches (a.k.a. "young and hungry" coaches) would want to coach this kind of teams because these coaches have no other choices. "A" coaches and many "B" coaches wouldn't stay because they don't look for jobs, jobs look for them.

BTW, Morey is a master in finding "C" players who can turn into "B" players. That's how he's been successful so far.

#98 Easy, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Lowry's salary was set by his market value, right?

In the post that I quoted you said that we overpaid for Lowry.

Seems like you answered your own question.

Here's a different post :

Again you say Lowry was overpaid. His salary was set by what the market would pay, not by the Rockets. At the time of this post it seems like you understood the fact that a player could be overpaid on the free market.

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Don't most teams fill their roster around a star and the coaches system? Just seems to me we are going about this backwards based on his philosophy.