1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brilliant $250,000+ income earners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Mar 4, 2009.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A) didn't say i was a first time buyer- i said i wanted to get back into the housing market, a clear indication i've bought and sold before.

B) show's how much you know about new york. it's a fabulous place to raise kids, wonderful parks, fantastic culture, and they're exposed to a diversity of cultures, cuisine, people and (except for political) thought you just can't find anywhere else in the world.

NYC to FB: Drop Dead.

2. insane man

insane man Member

guess you're too poor to afford the city. sucks.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so its basically a real expensive version of Houston?

4. deepblue

deepblue Member

You can't really use child care deduction as they are phased out at high income levels.

Higher paying job? What's wrong with earning a decent salary? Sure working at McDonald's would be too expensive for transit and tax, but we are not talking about McDonald's now, are we. The more you tax, the less net gain people will get from the work they do, at some point it becomes diminishing returns.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in NYC for 10 years and have a nephew and niece being raised there now.

It's a great place to visit because of the cuisine, culture, museums etc. There are better parks elsewhere as well as real nature, instead of just parks. Some place else will allow the children to experience real neighborhoods where they can ride bikes and explore them, play sports leagues on grass, possibly eat decent bar-b-cue instead of what NYC has to offer. They will grow up in a place with super markets that have far better produce, more variety, and may also include a diversity of cultures. They would be able to go to top quality schools that don't cost an arm and a leg and have 3 year olds competing for a spot.

Either way they should definitely visit NY to experience the stuff you mentioned, but being raised there isn't my idea of ideal for the children.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nothing is wrong with it - you're simply incorporating additional expenses which have nothing to do with increasing the marginal rate (child care, transportation) and using them to justify cutting taxes - that's a pretty obvious trick and should have no bearing on the discussion.

Nobody will take a job that ultimately costs more than what they get from it - the fact that taxes make up a small fraction of the cost is not a justification for getting rid of them.

7. insane man

insane man Member

are you seriously arguing that the point of diminishing returns is ~ 37%+ on the top bracket? but not 35%?

8. Steve_Francis_rules

But all of your threads from last year showing that there were a handful of Obama supporters who didn't understand his policies were a great contribution to the BBS, right? :rolleyes:

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No it isn't. There are a ton of great things in NYC that you can't get anywhere else. Houston doesn't have the intermingling of cultures and diverse peoples that NYC does, though Houston isn't completely segregated or anything.

But Houston has much better grocery stores, with better produce, variety of foods, friendlier customer service, certain foods that are better and just can't be had in NYC, and is much cheaper.

I also forgot that graduation rate in NYC is only around 40%. That isn't a great place to raise children.

#29 FranchiseBlade, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Major, just like you, is not a Contributing Member, meaning that neither of you have donated money to this great website. Both of you have been here damn near 10 years, according to your join dates, and very well may have been here longer than that. This site isn't free to run and everyone should help out.

I rarely agree with T_J but on this subject he is right on the money. (No pun intended)

http://www.clutchfans.net/tipjar.cfm

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This does make sense in terms of protesting the increase, and they may not want to over exert themselves if they aren't making as much after taxes as they deem worthy of their time and effort. They are making this a bit extreme though.

12. SamFisher

It makes sense? So you would not make a single solitary dollar over 250,000, if you knew that you would have to pay an extra 3 cents on that dollar? Your extra exertion is not worth 3 cents?

Wow, like bigtexxx...you really must have a sharply defined indifference curve.

13. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

I fully understand the law. The problem is $250K is nothing these days. Executives I work with bring in 3-4 times that without a problem, so being taxed on $750K over the 250K mark is still going to hurt major. Of course I'll sleep better at night knowing people in the fifth ward get an extra $25 a week in unemployment and free healthcare. I guess it makes me feel a little better that my company recently bought a Citation X outright,not with a fractional plane and will deducting its operating costs over the next few years. I guess Capitalism will still exist until 2011 when all these tax effects come into play. FYI before you say the economy is going to destroy my company or my personal income, we own and operate apartment complexes around the country. Our income is actually up because of all the smart ones that failed on their home mortgages and can't get loans to buy another home.

14. juicystream

Though I agree the premise of these people trying to make exactly under $250 is ridiculous. If I take 3% from you today, you won't mind. You cerntainly won't mind when I take 3% more tommorow, because it is only 3% each time right? You can't just look at the percentage and say that it doesn't hit their breaking point. Only and idiot would turn away free money, but when you work for it, they could reach that point. Sam is right though. The vast majority aren't going to be at that point.

The government does have programs that can cause you to make less esentially for making more. Things like Medicare are all or nothing. So you could make less for getting a raise.

15. juicystream

I said that is a bit extreme in my post Sam. I agree with you in this case.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, but you bought 'em at values that are now unsupportable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....burnnnnnnnnn!!!!! sssssssssssssssssssssssss

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I was excited about this until I saw the only people who qualify make under $75k (150k married), which is barely average for the DC metro area. If you make more there's apparently some calculation where you can get a percentage, but I've heard the max on that is only $90k (180k married), which doesn't help.

Honestly, if you're only making 75k in the DC area, you probably should just be renting right now unless you're older and have a lot of money already saved up (but if you're older this is most likely not your first home).

Anyway, I thought the salary qualification was kind of low.

18. SamFisher

Boy it certainly is - that extra $18,000 in taxes is more than enough to make me want to forego the extra $400,000+ in disposable income

i don't want them poories geting their grubby handson my moneys. therefore i will spite them by not tripling my own income! i has MBA dammit and i been taught to do this so suck it poories you are lazy

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is a classic T_J post. While chiding libpigs for "distracting attention from Obama's failings" he cleverly distracts the libpigs attention from the issue at hand by calling out Major in the very next sentence.

BRILLIANT

20. ling ling

ling ling Member

What about the guy that makes $10K per year? He won't be willing to earn more than that because he will lose out on the tax vs loss of benefits.