1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket Sam Cassell: Still No Respect from YOU!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

tinman = aghast

2. sup123

sup123 Member

oh and since u want to get smart,

that is Jason Kidd

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juwan-traded for a defensive PF

Juwan hasn't played for Rockets yet, maybe if he shows me that he's not the slow overated powerforward with declining skill, then maybe I'll change my mind.

I'd much have a Bo Outlaw, Stomile Swift or Horry player.

Have you follow Penny's career? Without Shaq, this guy fell off the map as the premier Point Guard in the League. Plus he's fragile... hence

PENNY HURT-ALWAYS

Cassell, has proven himself to be an awesome player without Hakeem. He's played well on every team and lead them to winning seasons/playoffs.

Cassell has proven himself to be a playoff stud.

Why I think Cassell is #1 last year

-Helping his team to top seed in the west
    -played excellent in the playoffs, helped his team make to the conference finals, dropped 40pts twice

Oh here are his season stats where he was in the top 20 in many categories including ASSISTS.

Ranks #18 in the NBA in Points Per Game(19.8) Ranks #5 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(7.3)
    Ranks #15 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.488) Ranks #18 in the NBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage(0.398)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Free-Throw Percentage(0.873) Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(620.0)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(1270.0) Ranks #4 in the NBA in Assists(592.0)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Points(1603.0) Ranks #5 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(10.49)
    Ranks #7 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(10.0) Ranks #16 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(27.1)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(220.0) Ranks #11 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(1674.0)
    Ranks #16 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(20.67) Ranks #15 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(28.31)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(2.72)

See not only do I put pictures, I back up my smack!

OH, I have an autographed ticket stub with AKEEM (Before Allah told him to change his name to H) and Calvin Murphy (Before he was repopulating the USA) signatures on it. I got it when Bill Cartright smacked Dream in the face, so he was out of commision for part of that season.

Plus the Rockets were playing... THE CLIPPERS!!

Thats a true Rockets fan, willing to watch a Dreamless team play the Clippers! Plus it was really easy to sneak down to get better seats back in the day.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yeah he's old, yeah he's declining. That's what players do when they get old, they get worse. But that doesn't mean he sucks.

And I'd rather have Stromile Swift too. I'd also rather have Jermaine O'Neal. So what's your point? We don't have either of them, and it doesn't look like we're going to get either of them. We have what we have, and what we have is Howard and Taylor. And YOU advocate starting Taylor, which I don't understand, considering YOU YOURSELF WANT A "DEFENSIVE PF." So why don't you answer my post in this thread and explain to me why you'd want such a pitiful rebounder in the starting lineup?

Cassell hasn't been hurt enough lately? Sure, he's played through some of it, but when he has he's given up as much on the defensive end as he's scored on the offensive end. In fact, that's why I don't think he was #1 last year... because his D doesn't begin to compare to Kidd or Baron Davis. How you play D night in and night out doesn't show up too well on the stat sheet as a guard. But since you wanna play the stats game, I give you Davis:

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Points Per Game(22.9)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(7.5)
    Ranks #1 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(2.36)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game(40.1)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(554.0)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(1402.0)
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(187.0)
    Ranks #1 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(582.0)
    Ranks #7 in the NBA in Assists(501.0)
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Steals(158.0)
    Ranks #16 in the NBA in Points(1532.0)
    Ranks #16 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(9.9)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(25.05)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(3.34)
    Ranks #12 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(9.0)
    Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals Per 48 Minutes(2.82)
    Ranks #15 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(27.4)
    Ranks #13 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(215.0)
    Ranks #6 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(3.21)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(3.84)

And don't give me garbage about Davis not bringing his team far in the playoffs. It's not Baron's fault the next-best players on his team in the playoffs were Jamaal Magloire and David Wesley instead of MVP Kevin Garnett and Latrell Sprewell.

Wow, am I supposed to be impressed? You went to see the Rockets when Dream wasn't playing? I don't even live in Houston, I would kill to get to go to ANY Rockets game! In fact I haven't made it to many pro games at all because I can't afford it! So I'm a bad fan because I can't afford to go, and I don't think Sam Cassell is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Ooookay. Where do you get off calling people you've never even met "bad fans?"

#84 Drexlerfan22, Jul 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  5. WLH

WLH Member

Hey tinman, I know where you are going with all this AKEEM business. I don't know if a lot of people do, so I will explain. He added the H to his name later in his career, after he became very religious. So tinman is saying he was a fan back in the day. I was too. Way before we ever heard of Akeem. I guess I became a Rox fan in about 77 or 78, when I was first old enough to keep up with ball, a little. Also, I think tinman is messing with people, trying to get a rise out of some of you people. We all know Sam Cassell is an outstanding guard, but not the best. I still love him. I have been a fan of every team he has gone to since we traded him. He was the real casualty in the Barkley trade, Horry could go or stay. But I think tinman is just trying to get people excited, and you people are playing right into his hands by responding. He could not possibly believe some of the stuff he has posted, if he has been a fan for that long.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Drex,

I didn't call u 'bad' just boring :p
    I dont live in Htown either, I live in Atown.

Remember when Cassell went up against Baron Davis in the playoffs with the Bucks? Cassell took him to school.
    Milwaukee 104, Charlotte 97
    Alive at the Hive
    CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 17 (AP) -- Down 15 points and on the brink of elimination, the Milwaukee Bucks never panicked. Instead, they turned to their "Big Three," and forced a seventh game.

Sam Cassell scored a career-playoff high 33 points, Glenn Robinson had 29 and Ray Allen added 23 to rally the Bucks to a 104-97 victory over the Charlotte Hornets on Thursday night to send the Eastern Conference semifinal series back to Milwaukee.

7. Drexlerfan22

I wasn't responding to your childish, baseless "boring" remark. I was responding to you saying "I'm representing the REAL ROCKETS FAN." That means that you're saying at least some of the people you're addressing in this thread aren't "real" fans (otherwise there would be no point in saying it). I just said "bad" because it's less clumsy than "not real."

Oh wow. One game in a seven-game series. That completely proves that he's #1 in the league. Oh, and by the way, we were talking about THIS YEAR. That wasn't this year.

I would still like you to tell me how you want a "defensive PF" instead of Howard, yet you want to start Mo Taylor.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Drex,

Its my response to your ranking Baron Davis over Cassell. By the way Cassell had better overall stats than Baron in that Series.

I would like to start Mo Taylor for offense, then when he sits get a defensive guy in to change the style and pace of the game.

9. Drexlerfan22

And that's just what's so ridiculous about what you say. I have to blindly believe every decent former Rockets player is the best in the league to be a "real fan?" That is wrong. Period.

Baron was the #1 option, and had more defensive attention on him. And once again, that wasn't last year, so there's no point in discussing it anyway. If you want to talk about the year before, you need to bring Kidd into the discussion as well.

Yeah, but if we only have these two guys, why would you start one of the worst rebounding 4s of the last decade, who needs the ball in his hands to be effective? Wouldn't you rather give it to Yao or Tracy freakin' McGrady? And sure, Mo can hit that outside shot, but so can Howard, and he's clearly a better rebounder.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Only Cassell is the only former Rocket that is 'best in the league' at his position. Robert Horry was best in playing good playoff defense and hitting 3pointers to win games.. Now he just concentrates on movies like IROBOT.

How is Baron Davis ahead of Cassell last year?
    This dude HELPED his team defeat the Hornets that he was named NBA BALLER OF THE WEEK:

Sam Cassell, Minnesota Timberwolves: Week ending Jan. 25
    Cassell provided some late-game heroics as the Timberwolves won four straight. On Monday, Cassell scored 9 of his 22 points in the fourth quarter of a 97-90 win over New Orleans. Two nights later, he scored 14 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter and added 13 assists in a 108-97 win over Toronto. He ended the week by scoring 12 of his 32 points in the final three minutes of a 99-95 win over Phoenix.

http://www.nba.com/nike/archive_0304.html
    He also won it 2 weeks in a row!

This guy OWNED every PG he played against.
    [​IMG]

11. tinman

Supporting Member

12. Drexlerfan22

And as I already told you:
    Every time Baron touched the ball the opposition's entire defense was ON HIM (remember what Detroit did to Kobe in the finals?). When Cassell had the ball, everyone had one eye on Garnett. A lot easier to get your game on when you're not what the opposition is worrying about.

13. omax

omax Member

Oh give it up allready. This is getting stupid.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Ok Max,

I wont give it up. Look how much Steve love outpooring people give him for showing up to China after he's been traded. How would you feel if he's number was given away?

Just because some players are Hakeem, doesn't mean they don't deserve some jersey recognition. #5 for Cuttino fans mean something.

If you want to start this Cuttino thread up again. I'm ready for battle!

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude,

Davis got outplayed by Cassell when he was with the Bucks and with the Wolves! That Bucks series was important cause the Hornets could have closed it. But they didn't and Cassell out played Baron in the 4th quarter consistently.

Also in the Sacremento series they switched strategies and start to double team Cassell.

16. Drexlerfan22

For the last time, we're talking about THIS YEAR. Davis is a younger player than Cassell and played much better this year than last (a young player improving from season to season? Noooooooo!), and you just quoted the reason Cassell played better in the playoffs THIS YEAR. You'll notice I NEVER ARGUED BARON WAS BETTER THAN CASSELL LAST YEAR, I only IMPLIED he was COMPARABLE. And for the second time, if you want to talk about who was the #1 point guard last year, you've gotta talk about Kidd too because he didn't have injury issues last year and played much better (and I hear he made it a little ways in the playoffs too).

You're responding to me before you even bother to read all of my posts (as you've done in previous threads), you randomly start talking about who was the better point the year before to try to support the arguments for this year, and you blabber about abstract, subjective ideas like being a "real" fan. I'm repeating the same points over and over. This is getting VERY circular. When you quit glossing over my posts and STAY ON THE POINT rather than randomly arguing about the year before, then we can have an intelligible conversation.

Oh, and to address your last point: I live in Sacramento, and I watched every minute of all those games. If they ever double-teamed Sam, it was for a very short period of time. When Adelman finally had the brains to put Christie on Cassell so he couldn't take his man down on the blocks (he posted up Bibby at will), he didn't do much other than take jump shots after Garnett created.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Rockets Players Who Deserve to Have Their Jersey Retired:

Hakeem Olajuwon- 3 Finals, 4 WCFs, MVP, longevity
    Calvin Murphy, 1 Final, longevity, Hall-of-Famer
    Malone- 1 Final, MVP level, top 50 player
    Drexler- 1 Final, 1 WCF, top 50 player
    Tomjanovich- 1 Final, longevity, 2 Finals as coach

Those That Don't:

Everyone Else

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Drexler doesn't have longevity out all of those players.
    Sam and Robert and Mario had 2 finals. Horry has 5 rings, Mario has 3. Elie and Cassell were named to the Rockets 30th anniversary team.

Barkley had 1 WFC and was top 50.

Drexler's number being retired is questionable becuase of his longevity, not his greatness. If Barkley had given us one title do we retire his number?

Also in my previous post, I always view Clyde as a TrailBlazer, he spent most of his career there, went to the Finals there (2twice) and was an All Star more times there.

I dont hate Clyde at all, i like his Bar-B-Q and his performance against the Jazz. But to put him with Hakeem/Rudy/Calvin, these dudes played and worked for the Rockets at least 10 more years than Clyde is questionable.. Well, what's done is done.

19. aghast

aghast Member

The Subway on the corner leaves its cheese slices out on the counter all day, and the night manager has open sores and doesn’t wear gloves. Why do I still eat there morning, noon and night? I’m not trying to lose weight; it’s because I want to be a Super Sub one day too. If it’s good enough for the Rockets’ Sam Cassell, it’s good enough for me. Why is the cup in my left hand full of 1/3 Gatorade, 1/3 Mountian Dew Red Zone Mist, and 1/3 vodka? Simple. Yao & T-Mac, baby, Yao & T-Mac, and ‘cause that Code Red Zone stuff tastes awful by itself.

See, I’m glad tinman has made this distinction; I’ve lurked here long enough, and I’m tired of seeing him being picked on. I, too, am a REAL ROCKETS FAN. Know what that means? I’m a Rockets fan #1. I like the Rockets, and know that, even when they don’t make the playoffs, they’re the BEST team in basketball. Forget Sam I Am for a minute. You probably think MJ was the greatest basketball player ever. Wrong. It’s Chris Jent. Why? Maybe ‘cause he played for the ROCKETS? Who was the best player ever again? Easy: Serge Zwikker. Why? Cause he was on the HOUSTON ROCKETS. That’s why.

Nobody answered my post above, nobody explained why a true fan like tinman gets no respect, just said that he = me. If you mean that we’re the first among equal REAL ROCKETS FANS, then you’re absolutely correct. How would I expect a poster like Drexlerfan, who's been nitpicking about stats and last year vs. the year before that, to understand this? REAL ROCKETS FANS are eternal, and know the ROCKETS themselves are eternal: I bleed Red, then pinstriped Blue, then Red again. Whereas he is a DOF, not even a ROCKETS fan. And he’s only the twenty-second best Drexler fan on this website even, not a Rockets fan #1 like myself, and, obviously, tinman here.

REAL ROCKETS FANS should stand up and be counted.

20. Drexlerfan22

I'm all for any post that mentions Serge Zwikker. :D