1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. adoo

adoo Member

while revenue increased last qtr, nflx had its biggest earnings miss ever.
    as stated above, it also missed its previously forecasted subscriber growth
    after-hour trading got to as low as 491, down 34​

saitou likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Wasn't there the recent boycotting of netflix due to that one movie?
    Maybe that had something to do with earnings miss.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

anyone looking at WTRH? Our boy Tilman owns it. Earnings should be out first week of Nov.

[​IMG]

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah. Through the first 9 months of this year, they've actually added more subscribers than they had all last year (thanks COVID). They had forecast a slowdown in added subscribers for this most recent quarter already, but they didn't expect the slowdown to be as much as it turned out to be. So their existing subscriber base didn't take a hit, but their new subscriptions did -- by more than expected. They basically said "we kinda knew and stated the subscriptions would be down, but coronavirus made it a b**** to try and figure out how much down it would be and we missed". I don't know if that's a cop-out or what, but it's definitely one of the reasons why you see a lot of companies not providing guidance -- COVID has made it one big crapshoot sometimes.

Despite that, NFLX is going to have some issues moving forward. Their revenue beat estimates, but earnings fell short. They're basically shoveling money at tech and new shows. They've got triple the number of subscribers as Disney+, I think. But they're also losing a lot of their shows like The Office and Friends. The one thing they have going for them is they seem to be able to keep churning out modern original shows while companies like Disney are still relying on their old catalog or pulling a Mandalorian out of their butts once a year or two.

5. adoo

adoo Member

it is a cop out.

as per legendary shortist, Jim Chanos, who made $Billions from shorting Enron, https://markets.businessinsider.com...rt-seller-jim-chanos-says-2020-10-1029703256#

Netflix believes its total market is "all the people on the planet."
    The company fell short of subscriber-growth targets in the third-quarter after initially posting a massive growth spurt earlier this year.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Put SNAP - thoughts?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He also lost billions shorting China and Tesla. :D But yeah, he's one of the whales I try to follow, but also temper his opinion with the fact he's been negative on NFLX for about a decade.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There is, and that's where the "growth" slows down - which it may already be doing. They still have markets like India that they've barely scraped, so people are still optimistic. One of the other reasons people are still positive is they jacked up prices in Canada and may again in the US. I guess that's one way you may be able to bring in more revenue. lol. However you can also say, you usually don't do that unless you think you have a captive audience. I see a lot of people saying this stepback on earnings is just like what's happened in the past, and they'll recover because "it's no big deal".

That being said, without doing something else or having a steady stream of new offerings that people fall all over, their high-growth years may be in the past based on what some think. This is why their competitors are really jokes for the most part outside of maybe Disney. Nobody is putting out hits year after year like they are. It's also why they spend so much money on new shows But unlike in the past, they actually have money in their coffers to burn (which they'll do again this upcoming quarter). They've even said with COVID, the seas may be rough through next year, so things could be tougher for long-term investors unless they're really long-term.

Sajan likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The voodoo stock that is TSLA up on presumably good earnings.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry for the quadruple-post, but speaking of NFLX ...

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Market unbearably choppy recently

Sajan likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've heard people expecting a correction soon (but then that's always the case, I guess).

14. adoo

adoo Member

Dr of Dunk , does this make sense to you?

today,
    higher yield and a weaker USD suggest that the market believes inflation ahead, as corroborated by

GLD's increase from 179.25 to 180.60

if so, buy more GLD​

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I bought FCX over the summer somewhat for the weaker dollar play, and I already have a lot of GLD. I was hoping commodity prices like gold/copper would go up. Which they have, so I'm already invested in both gold and copper. If you're worried about inflation, maybe something like TIPS, although that's so boring that even the yield isn't worth it to me. lol. Another way to play it would probably be emerging markets, but I'm wary because most emerging markets outside of the Asian market probably are getting beat up by COVID and are uncertain, too.

I'm just praying for a vaccine because even a stimulus package may be a false signal to buy.

16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I’m expecting a major correction early next year.

17. adoo

adoo Member

i own LEAP contracts on GLD and, on a monthly basis, have been selling 10-pt CALL spreads off them,

[​IMG]

will construct more CALL spreads on GLD

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Found the vid below interesting. Key points:
    - gold-silver price ratio is 70+:1, while mining ratio is around 1:8
    - EV production could be a catalyst for increasing silver consumption.
    - The "low hanging fruit" silver mines are already maxxed. To support higher production, more exploration and funding is needed, driving up silver price.

I'm a metals noob, if anyone has a contrarian view to above pls share.

Cokebabies likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I held silver for a few months in the form of the SLV ETF. If you're looking for a miner play on it, PAAS I guess would be one. My only issue with SLV is it's so damn volatile. The only reason I'm not in it anymore is because I got stopped out back in September when it briefly tanked (something like a 15-20% drop in 1 day). Normally with a stock, I'd weather that, but you'll see this happen with SLV somewhat frequently.

Silver's industrial use has always been there. A large part of its use was once in photography, but of course with digital photography nowadays, not so much. :D Combustion engine cars use silver in their catalytic converters, so if electric cars become more plentiful, combustion engine cars may become more rare (which uses more silver I have no idea). One of the main reasons I bought SLV was because of its use in the solar industry in photovoltaic panels. At one point I think the solar industry used around 10% of all the mined silver and that was a few years ago. The only issue with this is that after buying SLV I read an article saying due to efficiencies the amount of silver needed in solar panels to produce the same output has been drastically reduced over the years, so the demand in that industry has also gone down due to that efficiency. Of course more people are going to want solar panels, too, so there's that.

As far as the mining, like I said PAAS is the one I see the most, but again... volatile. One thing you may want to look at, though : I remember reading that only about 20-30% (I think) of all silver comes from primary mining, meaning where the mine's purpose is looking for silver. Much of the other silver is obtained as a by-product of mining other stuff like lead or gold.

saitou likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Haha... I was watching that video @saitou posted and at the beginning the interviewer was like "wow, gold has really dropped off its highs -- it's down 5% and was at one point down 9%". The silver company CEO was like "wth is wrong with you? I work in the silver industry. That's like a lunch break fluctuation". :D

BTW, here's some info I dug up for silver that you may find interesting (or not) : https://www.globalxetfs.com/silver-explained/

saitou likes this.