1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Flame Suit On] Kubiak....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think Kubiak should be the guy we should hire, necessarily, but I don't know if we should exclude him from the search.

We know what we're getting in him. He's shown that he can coach deep into the playoffs. He just needs an elite defensive coordinator.

But more importantly, his scheme is perfect for this team. I think he would take over the most talented team he had here in Houston. David Johnson would fit his zone blocking one cut scheme perfectly. Deshaun would be a prolific quarterback in his play action heavy, bootleg system. These receivers are built for those deep crosses over the middle. And we've got some decent tight ends.

I would love to see what he could do.

I know nobody would be for it here, and I get why. I know his team in Minnesota is one of the few as bad as us right now. But I think we should look at him.

I expect a bunch of "hell no"s, so don't disappoint me.

2. conquistador#11

He doesn't want to be a head coach.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he would be perfect for Watson with those bootlegs. He was a very good offensive coach. If he had hired a competent defensive coordinator instead of his nepotism he would have probably succeeded more in Houston.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Been there, done that.

Kubiak isn't coming back, nor should he nor should we want/settle for him.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

F it, bring back JVG, bring back Hinch. Let's do this Houston!

UTSA2step, BigM, Pringles and 4 others like this.
  6. raining threes

Love Kubiak the man, but he was no more successful in Houston than BOB was.

UTSA2step likes this.
  7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Shuffling between the texans and vikings game, you already knew once the Vikings were down early in their game that they weren't going to claw their way back into it. There's definitely things to take from a Kubiak offense that could help any team: the OL discipline in the run game and bootlegs and even the opening scripted plays would have blown BOBs 1st quarter offense out of the water.

But it was a ball control offense that had problems getting points in a quick manner, and couldn't compete with the more explosive offenses of its time like GB or NE. And if the defense could stop the run, or predict the routes like in 2012, it felt like the game was over by halftime.

BigM and msn like this.
  8. Texanstradamus

No don’t need to go backwards

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Screw it! Rockets bring back JVG, Texans bring back Kubiak... I wonder what the hell Phil Garner is up to?

raining threes and BigShasta like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

/thread

raining threes likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Bo Porter is available.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats even assuming Koobs wants to come back to this team ... after suffering a stroke on the sideline for this franchise and being run out of town after one down year I doubt "Goin' back to Houston" is high on his to do list.

13. SemisolidSnake

The Texans are in their 18th season of existence. For over 14 of those seasons, Gary Kubiak or Bill O'Brien has been the head coach. That is pretty much the quintessence of "let's try anything else."

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think it may be more of a combination of personnel + K. Cousins at qb.
    I mean what team (w playoff aspirations) would be dumb enough to trade their best receiver for a 1st round pick?
    And Cousins is about the farthest thing from ideal you can get for a Kubiak offense.

I've long thought Kubes would kill to have a qb like Deshaun in his offense (and vice-versa for me).
    Smart, quick, strong, can run and is a very good deep ball thrower.
    That's the kind of qb that can make that offense really dangerous and exciting (quick-strike).

Of course I don't know if we have the o-line for that kind of scheme.
    Plus Alex Gibbs is 79 and retired from coaching.
    Also we would need a great, veteran def. coordinator for the other side. (hey I hear Wade Phil.......) :)

We not going to do anything without a F.O. that can identify and acquire talent, but I've long wanted to see what Deshaun could do in a Kube's style offense.

15. raining threes

LMAO