1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Describe his Offensive game strategy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 10, 2020.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Francis/Mobely weren't exactly racking up big playoff series wins before jvg. Tmac was infamous about playoff success prior to the rockets. I can't tell if you're joking about bringing up old Jackson, old Sura, old Wesley. Those guys were god role players but all were on their last leg in the league so lets not make it sound criminal that they didn't do more with them..

2004 lost to Shaq's lakers who went on to the finals - Red Auerbach and Phil Jacson combined weren't beating the lakers.
    2005 lost to Mavs- tough loss in a 7 game series (finley was out of bounds followed by a classic game 7 disappearing act by tmac)
    2006 - injury year
    2007 - lost to a pretty good jazz team in a tough 7 game series. (which adelman also lost to the following year)

I don't think the rockets were favored in any series and it's not just coaching that caused them to lose. i still don't understand these magical adjustments.

yup, he likes his older veterans... but you forgot to mention Jackson, Sura and Wesley.

you ignored the fact i mentioned Yao, as well Head and Hayes. Who else was there too develop? Those are the players he had.

V-SPAN!? VSPAN?! oh boy. I wish i would have read the entire post 1st before responding because if you're going to pull the v-span card then this isn't an honest and real life conversation.

bmelo and napalm06 like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm rewatching some old press conferences with Van Gundy. Example:

His personality as a coach is like the polar opposite of Mike D'antoni. I don't see the Rockets going in that direction.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Jimmy Jackson was still a very good basketball player when the Rockets had him. He was an elite defender that could guard multiple spots and was a very good three point shooter. I would kill to have that Jimmy Jackson on the Rockets now. Sura and Wesley both were productive players.

He still had 4 years and never got out of the first round and arguably underachieved in the regular season as his teams won less than their pyt anticipated wins. His defense was top 5 and his offenses were all bottom 5-7 in the league.

No, they did not lose "just because of coaching", JVG just really didn't help them improve. The team was about the same the year before he joined (with a rookie Yao) as his first season, and the team was better the year after JVG left. His teams for the most part played very hard and were competitive, but that is about it.

Many of his "old veterans" didn't do much and took up roster spots for younger players.

I don't know how much of Yao's development is because of JVG.... and he was already established as the starter when JVG came aboard. Luther Head never really got better. Chuck Hayes did come out of no where under JVG.

JVG never gave him a chance...... but it isn't surprising as JVG usually didn't have time for player development.

D-rock, Deuce and pippendagimp like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't start out doom and gloom..... but once the grind hits, this is what he turns into......

D-rock and Deuce like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that's the main reason he has not been taking on a coaching job for so long. He knows the grind of coaching will make him van Grumpy.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

No way Rockets remain top 3 in offensive pace with JVG as HC.

His system is to slow game down.

This would make Russ next to useless if Rockets are not going to run.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

JVG hated V-Span and feeling was mutual.

And Thibs developed Yao not JVG. Yao credits Thibs a ton.

Was Mark Jackson a former Knick too? He had a cup of coffee with Rockets under JVG too if I remember correctly.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

This was your best post.

Hands down.

Still wiping away tears from laughing so hard. :D

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Vin Baker was so intoxicated that he was averaging like 2 points 3 boards here IIRC. Oak was brought in to be the enforcer for Yao at age of 38. Mark thought Yao was his meal ticket for another 3 years only to retire a year later. That sumed up that school of coaching thoughts under Pat Reily - my kinda of players, loyal to me and loyal to you, a mafia like atmosphere, suffocating at times.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Shame. I think they actually need to go in that direction. The problem with the Rockets is there is no structure and discipline hence why we fall apart so often in late game situations in the playoffs.

bmelo likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course YOU would prefer that Rockets be lesser versions of themselves.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His salary demand is like the polar same as Mike D'Antoni. I don't see the Rockets going in that direction!

D-rock and durvasa like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, the absolute best rookie player the Rockets brought in between 2003 and 2006 was....LUTHER HEAD - and he actually played a lot even though he wasn't that good at basketball.

He played 28 mpg as a rookie! That's more minutes than he ever played in ANY NBA SEASON!

I mean look at this draft pick list from 2003-2006:

Luther Head
    Steve Novak
    Malick Badiane

I don't really care about hiring Van Gundy now or whatever, but that "doesn't play the young players" bullshit was just invented becuase he didn't play 't play certain people's favorite marginal NBA player because that guy sucked and was a borderline NBA player!

D-rock and bmelo like this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

I remember Steve Novak was like 68 overall in NBA Live with 98 3pt shot. Outside of his 3pt shot(and offensive rebounds) he couldn't play at the proffesional level but his 3 was so legendary he actually played in the NBA. I love these kind of players