1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Galveston / Houston seafood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Oct 6, 2020.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Name me the good spots. Google isn't a big help. Landry's is no 4.2 restaurant. 3.1 at best!

We used to go to Nick's but they seem to have gone downhill since the 'rona. And bad service.

I don't mind spending a little but gotta leave the restaurant FULL. We went to Joe's Crab Shack in Kemah years ago and had to split a bag of Doritos on the way home because I wasn't going to keep throwing money away at the restaurant in order to just....be....full.

TWS1986, Buck Turgidson and Pringles like this.
  2. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Black Pearl Oyster Bar
    VietCajun
    The Original
    The Sunflower Bakery and Cafe
    Mosquito Cafe
    Shrimp and Stuff
    Brews Brothers

This what I could come up with off the top of my head. There is a good breakfast taqueria place but I cant remember the name of it...

Screw all the chain trash you have been going to brah.

TWS1986 and OmegaSupreme like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Damnit, after the fact, I knew I'd posted this before.

LOCK IT UP

TWS1986 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was just a few months ago, too! Thank you. Made me laugh.

TWS1986 likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

6. Buck Turgidson

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Some good calls.

When I used to live in Galveston, Black Pearl definitely gave you the most bang for your buck. I had to take seafood off of their po boys just to be able to handle it.

Sunflower is great for one reason. Their red snapper on the brunch menu is the freshest that you'll find on the island, but also the cheapest. Around noon to 1pm, they get their snapper straight from the boat. If they don't have it by the time they take your order, get something else. I would get the Texas Blue crab cakes (they're decent. not the fried ones) and tell the waitress that if the snapper came in from the boat before the chef made my order, then to switch it out for the snapper. This was usually on a Sundays iirc.

Edit: a word

#8 OmegaSupreme, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    TWS1986 likes this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Ooooh I like this thread. The wife and I are finally getting away for the first time all year to Galveston with days of Fri thru Sun. Her schedule blows as a nurse. They need to give roughly 80 years notice for any vacation. So weekend getaway it is. Thanks for all the good Galveston restaurant recommendations!! :confused:;):)

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Katie's Seafood... same Katies that has the fish market off the pier, they've opened a restaurant to capitalize on their fresh catches. More pricey than expected, but quality of freshness top-notch (hard not to be when the freakin fishing boats are right there in front of you).

Vargas cut/catch: Upscale but has all the top notch service/quality initiated by Rudy and pacos.

Number 13: pound-for-pound, best restaurant on the island right now. All in terms of food quality, ambience, service. Location off the marina also very nice this time of year.

DTO: a must for anybody who desires a proper cocktail.

Gypsy Joint: next to DTO, quirky but tasty to the max.

ima_drummer2k and TWS1986 like this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is spot on. Only go to Black Pearl if you're really hungry because they do NOT chince on the portions! Best shrimp po boy on the island, IMO. Even better than Shrimp and Stuff.

Kind of pricey, but Gaidos is always nice. Their grilled scallops are amazing. But I do remember still being kind of hungry after I left. Then again, grilled seafood isn't usually what you order if you're really hungry....

OmegaSupreme and TWS1986 like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

So Black Pearl seems popular in this thread, but come hungry huh? lol. That we can do. Might treat the wife to Gaido's too since it may be our only trip for a while of the year. Pricing seems pretty decent though. Pricey sure, but no more than say like Pappadeux's or that kind of deal. They have an option to reserve, do you think I'll need it on a Fri or Saturday night?

I know some places are kind of down in business w/ COVID.

12. Buck Turgidson

Haven't been in 15 years, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Gaido's. I probably ate 200 of their crab claws as a kid, also where I had my first raw oysters.

Just looked at their menu, and now I'm dying for seafood.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I should have checked this thread before now.

I rented an Air B&B for the rest of the year at the Casa del Mar @61st and the seawall to ride out this next corona wave and be closer to my college aged kids over the holidays. My daughter came down last night and we ran down to Nicks for a quick dinner. My blackened redfish was OK but not spicy at all. Kind of disappointing.

I need to go by a fish market today or tomorrow so a trip to Katie's might be in order. Definitely will try the Black Pearl.

Any one fished either of the fishing piers lately? I haven't in decades but was thinking I might since one is right across the street and I can rent all the equipment and not have to drop a couple bills at Academy down the street. Anyone have any advice for a way out of experience angler?