1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill O' Brien fired as HC and GM by Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nostalgia! He's next to last for a reason.

I do really like the guy, though, and I think he'd have a much better chance at getting us to the Super Bowl with the current quarterback than any team we've ever fielded has given us. I also think he's one name on the list where you know what you're getting.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In order for me

Dabo
    Eric B
    McDaniels
    Riley
    Joe Brady
    Carmichael

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I’m sure Cal will find a way to **** all of this up but at least I don’t have to look at BOB’s arrogant face anymore

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wow, flew to DC yesterday evening and was in meetings all day when my son and wife both sent me texts. About ____ing time that Cal made a decision. Can't really wish Bill well because he's left this team in such disarray. Hopefully we hire the RIGHT coach after the season.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

in b4 Hopkins says he was referring to his mom's best friend's uncle who got fired from his job at Chevron today.

7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

The Mcnairs gave this guy the keys to the kingdom and then fire him for doing what wen all said he would do. And that is put the team into the stone ages

arkoe, BigShasta and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. blackistan

blackistan Member

Better late than never but damn I just wish this franchise had smarter ownership. BOB gutted the team and left it in the worst shape it's been in years then they finally realized when it's all said and done that this dude killed our team.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Kubiak should be considered as well. Not my first choice, or one of my first choices, but he is the only retread I would consider at all. Otherwise I want someone completely new. I also think he's on my mind if only because he was the opposite of the complete ass hole that BOB was. Having a likable person here would be nice.

But Eric Bieniemy should absolutely be target #1

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

No one should be thanking BOB.

He was and has been a HUGE ******* but it is always excused. He has zero self control and regularly screamed at assistants and NRG employees. He was an absolute jerk to the press around the country. He has an enormous ego, only Sean Peyton is worse, and loves to belittle people.

He is lucky he was able to suck as much money as he did from the McNair’s and he was toxic for everyone around him.

If his wife wants to excuse his behavior, that is her problem. Gary Kubiak and AJ Hinch were genuinely good people... they deserved to be treated with respect as human beings.

I have had dozens of people that have told me out of the blue about what a shockingly big POS that O’Brien is... many of these people not even in Houston. I have had one person tell me that BOB is a good guy.

Hell my good friend, Hub that covers the NFL and the Bears for decades has repeatedly shared stories with me about just how disliked BOB is and just how big an ******* he is... and I can count on one hand the number of people Hub has called a bad guy over our 15 year friendship.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

B'OB makes you miss Rick Smith

Rocket River

13. raining threes

No he doesn't.

14. Mattician

Mattician Member

About time. I just wish it was before all the terrible trades the last couple of years.

I like Bill O'Brien as a person and wish him and his family nothing but the best.

His play calling and GM moves just weren't good. It needed to happen.

raining threes and sammy like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That second one makes sense. Maybe that’s why he’s an ******* all the time, in over his head and he knows it. For some reason he never seemed to break out of the learning curve and would always goof up big moments.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. AstrosRockets1818

How could anyone like him as a person? He was an arrogant POS off and on, football or not. I hope he hits his face on cement, hard.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You can get under the cap by cutting:

Watt (unless he is traded before the deadline)
    David Johnson
    Cooks

That will give you 21m in cap space this off season.

I could see them trading McKinney too.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

they have to have a coach who can develop players. While Watson is young... how many years are we throwing away? There is at least one fire sale coming.

red5rocket and Jturbofuel like this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They have to get a GM who can hit home runs in the draft especially the 2-4th rounds. Thats where this team has sucked since the beginnings of the franchise.

AstrosRockets1818 and arkoe like this.