1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do in Boston?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DCkid, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I will be running in the Boston Marathon this coming Monday and decided to get there a few days ahead of time to take in the city. Anyone have any suggestions of things to do or see?

I'm totally psyched because I managed to get tix for the Yankees-Red Sox game on Sunday! :D

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

First, you run marathons? Bad arsed.

Second... I... Hate... You... ;)

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Third, you have two say "I hate $#%#% Boone" first thing off the plane.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't like Boston that much. Whatever you do, don't try to drive downtown. It was complete chaos. I did like Paul revere's house a little bit. Fenway is cool. But I thought the city tour was horrible. It did not thrill me in the least. Cape Cod however was a lot of fun. Chatham is the nicest town. Bring your bikes and hit the beach. It's about 2.5 hours from Boston. But I have to say, Boston is right there with Atlanta in terms of no big thrill. Just my opinion tho'.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Well, you already got one great thing happening by getting the Sox/Yankees tickets. I would arrive in the Fenway neighborhood a couple of hours before gametime. Check out the bars and restaurants nearby. Check out the Dugout...across the street from Fenway...50 cent drafts before the game until gametime. Check out Faneuil Hall, and do the Freedom Trail walking tour given by the Park Rangers (gathers across the street from Faneuil Hall). For good seafood at a decent price, check out the No Name Restaurant, located on the pier. It ain't the best, but it's good, and cheap.

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Cool man.

Check on the historic Boston common, which is close to Newbury street, maybe the best part of downtown, and also Chinatown if you want a good meal. Faneuil hall, North end <-- Italian food, the harbor, there's an aquarium there with an Imax if you've got kids.

You can also ride the subway into Cabridge and tour Harvard. If I'm around I'll give you a tour.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Go to Harvard Bar and ***** up some smart kids.

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Go to a Bah in Bahston and yell out 'Screw Nomah!!!'

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

10. drapg

drapg Member

Dude, you qualified for the Boston?

That's freakin' awesome!!!!!!

Please tell us how you did when you finish.

I have yet to qualify for Boston. :(

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Being born in Boston (Marshfield specifically, which is where Aerosmith is from also), I was always exposed to the historical sites which imo are very interesting. If you're a history buff, I'd say check out Plymouth Rock where the pilgrims landed, Plymouth Plantation, which is a recreation of a Puritan village and indian village with actors and everything. Also there's a recreation of the Mayflower. Graves of famous people are everywhere if you like that kind of thing. Nantucket should be good this time of year too. Harvard's fun just bc you can say you went to Harvard, and the science museum there is excellent. Awesome exhibit of the Glass Flowers, which were made over a century ago in Germany, and look exactly like the real flowers, little hairs and all.

And always, Dunkin Donuts is so so money.

12. yipengzhao

Nomah isn't as popular here as you think. Strangely enough, Johnny Damn probably has more fans. Boston fans love gamers like Millar, Varitek, and Trot Nixon.

13. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Damn lies! Damon throws like a girl. I think Ortiz is moving up the food chain.

Nomahhh Rules!!!

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Really? What''s your best time? I got a 3:07 in last year's NYC marathon - qualifying was 3:10. My goal for Boston is to get under 3 hours, which is about a 6:50 mile pace. Don't know if that's likely though.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys! :) I'll let you know how it goes.

15. yipengzhao

so you live in Boston too?

Damon has an absurd amount of fans... especially among girls, for how not good of a player he is. Ortiz is moving up the chain, I agree. I get the feel that fans here don't really always root for stars, people are fed up with Pedro's antics but there are pedro worshippers, people generally like Nomar because he's a class guy but their kind of resigned that he will move on.

My friends generally like guys who come to work day in a day out... like Trot, Varitek, Millar, Wakefield etc... Daubach from before, and you know Carl Evrett used to have a fair number of fans even though he only had a couple of good seasons.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Heck, I'd like to know...I've only been to the airport and some burb' outside the city...

17. Elienator

Elienator Member

Check out the Commons and Gardens. Although given how the weather has been recently, maybe not such a great idea. Personally, I think the restaurants and bars in Kenmore (where Fenway is) aren't anything too special. Before a Yankees game, though it will definitely be a fun atmosphere. You might want to check out Copley Sq and Newbury Street before you head over to Kenmore (it's very close).