1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2020] Brain-eating amoebas in Texas city's public water, Disaster Declared

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Texas city where boy, 6, died of brain-eating amoeba to purge water system for 60 days

Josiah McIntyre, "a super-active 6-year-old," died after initially showing flu-like symptoms that quickly worsened to where he had trouble standing and communicating, his mother said.

[​IMG]

Brain-eating amoeba in water causes Texas boy's death
    SEPT. 28, 202002:0

A Houston-area city where a 6-year-old boy died of a brain-eating amoeba will purge its water system for 60 days to ensure it is safe for residents.

The death earlier this month of Josiah McIntyre of Lake Jackson, Texas, from the deadly microbe prompted an investigation that preliminarily identified the amoeba in three of 11 water samples taken in the city.

Now, the local water utility is trying to purge any “old water” so the system can be disinfected and replaced with fresh water.

“We’ll be doing that for a 60-day period,” said City Manager Modesto Mundo of the community of about 26,000 residents 55 miles south of Houston.

Lake Jackson residents were initially warned over the weekend not to use tap water for anything but flushing toilets, but are now being advised to boil tap water before using it for drinking or cooking and to avoid getting tap water up the nose.

Naegleria fowleri "usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose" and typically occurs when people go swimming in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in guidance on its website. "Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain," where it causes a condition that is usually fatal.

"You cannot get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria," the CDC said.

Josiah's mother, Maria Castillo, said her son, "a super-active 6-year-old who loved to be outside" and adored the Houston Astros, initially showed flu-like symptoms that quickly worsened to the point that he had trouble standing and communicating.

“We found out that it was, most likely, this amoeba that was causing all of these symptoms,” Castillo said.

Doctors took measures to alleviate swelling in the child’s brain and tried to save him. But Josiah died on Sept. 8 at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.

The family told city officials of two possible places where Josiah may have been exposed to the naegleria fowleri microbe, a city splash pad and the hose at the family's home.

Mundo said testing of 11 samples of the city’s water found three with preliminary positive results for the microbe — in a storage tank for the splash pad, a dead-end fire hydrant downtown near the splash pad, and in the hose bib at Josiah's home.

Gov. Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration on Sunday for Brazoria County in response to the discovery of the deadly parasite.

"The state of Texas is taking swift action to respond to the situation and support the communities whose water systems have been impacted" by this amoeba, said a statement by the governor, who is scheduled to give an update on the matter Tuesday.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea normally found in pond water. This **** (if you get it) is fatal. Crazy how just amoeba manages to do it

Xerobull likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really scared of much but this and mad cow scares the **** out of me.

IBTL, Yung-T, Xerobull and 1 other person like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've seen this story but this is my first time seeing the boys face, heartbreaking.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I drank beer in lake Jackson last Friday. Am I going to die?

if you’re ever down there, Bodega is legit.

7. Xerobull

If you mixed it with pond water and snorted it, Bacliff style, yes.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so he got this from swimming?

9. Xerobull

Speculating because it's almost always bad water in the nose. Active little kid in the country. Lake Jackson water supply could have been contaminated, even by high water backing up during Beta.

IBTL and tinman like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

"The family told city officials of two possible places where Josiah may have been exposed to the naegleria fowleri microbe, a city splash pad and the hose at the family's home."

Lake Jackson gets its water from the Brazos River, btw.

Xerobull and Yung-T like this.
  11. elrond

elrond Member

Dang, this means you probably don't even want to take a shower or wash your face?

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Almost certainly from swimming

edit - splash pad and hose are reasonable explanations too

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unless your city's water treatment plant is really effed up you should be fine showering out of your tap.

[EDIT] I see they are thinking it might be in the water supply already. So yeah if you live there probably should be careful using any tap water until they flush the system.

#13 rocketsjudoka, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I haven't been following this story but seeing that pic of 6 year old Josiah in his Stros cap really got to me this morning. Was just thinking of how happy he probably would've been to see the Stros sweep and he will never get that chance to see baseball, play baseball or do so much else..

A few years ago this killed a little girl to at a Lake in Minnesota. So while rare it is out there.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It would be sweet if the Stros dedicated their next game to Josiah..

Xerobull likes this.
  16. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, this seems to be something that pops up rarely, but I've probably seen at least 3-4 articles with different victims over the last year or two, As mentioned, it's normally an issue with lakes/rivers, and other natural bodies of water, and I normally chalk it up to a freak accident.

What got me especially about this article was that it may have come from the water supply. 3 samples testing positive out of 11 is quite high, and if they need 60 days to purge it, wtf are you supposed to do in the meantime? I'm not in the affected area, but man, this would seriously worry me.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's been almost 50 years since the CWA was passed.

The **** people take for granted...gotta pay for it.

Always been our choice by voting...Tax rebates or clean water from pipes?

I hear folks from Flint, MI likes the Sams brand water.