1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: What Are You Watching - Corona Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 15, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

The Way Back (2020) - Lead character reluctantly accepts a High School basketball coaching job. A feel good redemption story. A bball sports movie, which is good. Story feels genuine; not too cornball.

Movie's been released for a while now, i'm a bit late. Digged the movie. A-

[​IMG]

White Lie (2019) - A student faking cancer. The more she lies and covers up, the deeper the hole. Lot of tension building. Makes the audience feels jittery (like the main character). Few plot points and character motivation, aren't clearly explained. Director want us to empathize the lead character, we do to a degree. Lead is a flawed person. B-

[​IMG]

#501 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Buck Turgidson

Ok, I've had this on my DVR for almost a month...define "genuine" and "not cornball"

Is it straight drama? Are there some lighthearted spots? Is there a romance, will-he-wont-he, with the ex-wife he pissed off versus the local waitress he just can't tell the truth to? At some point does he go look for advice at the house of the old, grizzled coach who I hope is played by Gene Hackman? If not Hackman, then Harrison Ford? Is said coach drinking out of a filthy coffee mug while wearing filthy clothes, or am I just having flashbacks to Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers?

I have many more questions, but this'll do for now...

jiggyfly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

It's a Sports drama. More serious with few light humor sprinkled. Not cornball-ish as in not like an 'after-school special'. Ben Affleck stars in it. He has a drinking problem (and something else, no spoiler). He finds solace in coaching his former high school basketball team.

The Basketball backdrop is good. The actors portraying the players are likable. Game action cinematography well shot. Bonus is that CFers can draw some of the under dog similarity to Rocket's current roster and play style.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Ahhh, I gotcha. Scrappy undersized underdogs with a coach on the edge. Which edge? Just have to watch to know.

I can see the Rockets parallels.

TWS1986 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOKE on Hulu was cool
    Catching the 7 Deadly Sins anime

Still mad at the boys

Will get to Raised by Wolves soon

Rocket River

7. Buck Turgidson

Not everybody likes Pete Davidson, but I liked King Of Staten Island.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But why? The fact theyre releasing 1 episode a week? If thats it, be mad at bezos, not the boys?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea. Mad at Bezos

Rocket River

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We just finished The Act on Hulu. Good cast, well acted, based on true story drama.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Watched an older movie: Operation: Endgame Grade: C
    Watched an old movie: Hell on the Border Grade: C - Bass Reeves story - good subject but the execution was just a'ight
    Watched an older movie: The Devil All The Time Grade: C- It was ok. Slow Moving

Watch: ThunderCats 2011 - Grade: C+ . . . the nostalgia must have worn off

Rocket River

12. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Watched Challenger: The Final Flight on Netflix. Worth a watch.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Watching Game of Thrones again. Watching it with knowing the outcome really changes the experience. Especially the early episodes.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I re-watched Korra. It's better than I remembered. Yes, the writing is still bad at times - something inexplicable often happens that helps the protagonists out of a bind, and dear God the love triangle stuff is bad.

But... other than that, it's a good show. Season 3 and 4 were much better than 1 and 2. From what I read, they hired on additional writers for seasons 3 and 4 so that's probably why it was better.

I had remembered season 4 being terrible but it actually wasn't. I blame Nickelodeon for moving it to streaming-only halfway through the season. Really made that whole last season feel out of whack.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Warning, red band trailer:

Utopia is on Prime, full season up for your binging pleasure.

Comic books, pandemics, sinister pharmacutical corporations, creepy psychopaths, Rainn Wilson and John Cusack

Based on a British show from about a decade ago. The British show is awesome right out of the gate. If you watch the Amazon, watch at least through the second episode. They spend the first episode setting stuff up, but it picks up.

16. Buck Turgidson

Where can you find the British version?

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure anymore. I think I watched it on a "not YouTube" service like Vimieo a while back but I can't find it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Fargo is back tonight, and I am excited.

jiggyfly and arkoe like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Me too but I am waiting to binge it, I watched a bit and it seemed we had a return character?

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

Nobody has said 20/20.