1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fearing the future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Seems like everybody wants to point the finger at Tillman but this time has been a long time coming and started WAY before Tillman became owner.

He’s just the one who is going to have to clean up this mess.

javal_lon likes this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

For every Kyrie/Irving type out there, there are a lot more Andrew Wiggins/Johnny Flynn over Curry/Marcus Morris over Kawhi types out there

I'm overall a fan of Morey, but I don't think he's had the best draft history

javal_lon likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets are in great hands with Mr. Tilman Fertitta & the Fertitta family.

He's supported & helped make UH Athletics great & relevant again, he'll do the same for the Houston Rockets.

@Rudyc281 @BigShasta (You still with us BigShas?)

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I don’t want to see none of them at the parade.

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Haha hahahah. Man in man. Hanging on by a thread.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

When we win the championship it’s going to be glorious and I don’t want to see none of the doubters there.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

He's not the "best drafter" but his mid round picks go on to have NBA careers. I frankly think Morey and his staff are some of the best talent evaluators (not THE best) but holding onto it is far different. I don't really fault Morey for taking Morris over Kawhi as its more complicated.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't either.
    I just think it is one point, out of hundreds of examples, of why the draft can be such a crapshoot

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think he's been decent with his draft picks. Sure he could have drafted Kawhi over Morris, but I'm not confident that Kawhi becomes the player he is today under McHale.

AB and Landry are out of the NBA.
    Parsons is done, but was very productive until injuries hit.
    Mirotic (traded to Chi) was very productive, now he's back in Europe and won the Spanish MVP this year.
    Patterson and Morris have had solid careers.
    Capela is tbd with Atlanta, though he should be solid for them.
    Dillon Brooks (traded to Mem) has been solid.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kawhi Leonard was one of worst shooters on the draft. He was only a Defensive Player.

A Spurs Shooting Coach really overhauled Kawhi whole shooting form. Now he is one of the Greatest Players. As a Rookie I remember Chandler Parsons outplaying a young Kawhi and Kawhi bricking shots.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah I think Kawhi owed a lot of his development to Pops and the coaching staff there, also playing on a championship team with Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.

Who knows how good he could be now if he played under McHale instead lmao

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m fearing it , but I’m also hopeful . We have a fair range of where we could be next season . While I’d like to be a shoe in contender , only a few teams start off the year like that .. and who knows what happens this offseason / with our coaching change / philosophy change .

I do believe DM has built one of the best basketball apps in the business ; and hopefully he isn’t undercut by his owner . Part of Tilman being able to fire DM without taking heat is actually letting DM own the moves . Plus worst case for Tilman is that he fires DM and he goes elsewhere and has incredible success... a likely situation IMO

Moreys coaching picks have been good . We all soured on Mchale due to how it ended , but when he finally got talent his teams played well . He was handed a pretty immature cast of players : Dwight , harden , Lin , TJ , Parsons . I didn’t like his firing and probably neither did Morey . I hate to think James was that involved and I hope if he was then he’s matured since . I think he’s matured regardless.

adelman was pretty damn good and injuries ruined our chances .

MDA was by all accounts Les’ pick and though our record was great with him , so was our talent and we got lucky health wise with harden . We won 56 games with Dwight Howard playing only 41 , imagine if we got 65 out of him aka CP3 .

time and time again Dm has revamped the roster . He knows multiple approaches to basketball, more than knowing the stats he knows how to interpret the stats . That’s what’s truly important. He structured the roster in a way to help MDA .

I don’t know the free agency landscape , or what potential trades we can make . But I trust Dm to find value for whatever system we morph into .

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Maybe I misworded my original post and was a bit too strong when I said Morey hasn't had the best history with draft picks.
    You're right, he's been decent. Not bad, but I wouldn't say world breaking either. To be fair to him, he also hasn't had a high draft pick... ever.

More than anything, I believe the draft is mostly a crapshoot and you never really know for sure. Trading Harden for draft picks, we would just hope that maybe we would get lucky and one of those picks might, maybe, turn out almost as good as Harden is now

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Not a draft move by Morey, but he got Scola and Lowry while they were still on their first NBA contracts.