1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the end of the Daryl Morey era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ve mentioned this around game 7 of the OKC series but yes it is time to show Morey the door along with MDA.

Morey has exhausted every avenue and used every resource and tried to move heaven and earth to bring a championship to Houston it just hasn’t happened due to unfortunate events.

But Morey can leave with his head held high knowing that he tried to do everything possible to bring this city a championship it just didn’t happened.

Hakeemtheking and DaDakota like this.
  2. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Even if Morey leaves, the next GM is already set up for failure with no or subpar draft picks, no movable assets of value, and little to no cap space. This is a result of going "All In" multiple seasons.

3. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Both parties need a change in my opinion. This relationship is getting stale.

Hakeemtheking, Caesar and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

It largely is, but...what GM would want to walk into the current basically capped-out mess, particularly with draft picks gone over the next 6 seasons?

I don't think there will be significant free agent players, general managers or coaches that really want to have anything to do with the current flawed mess. If Morey is indeed gone, then expect the next GM to commence the fire sale by the trade deadline next season.

MIAGI99 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Morey treats players as replaceable trade assets. His over reliance on analytics and number crunching has made him negligent in player development and establishing relationships. The enviroment and culture he has created doesnt allow young players to make mistakes and grow. He doesn't nurture their talent. What young guys can grow in his game if hes constantly looking over his shoulder fearing he might be traded?

Hes been here for a decade and a half and has kept the franchise afloat. But his approach is ineffective and fruitless if the goal is to win a ring. Under his watch the Rockets have not come close to that. Small ball and relying on 3 point shots has proved yet again to be failing formula for the Houston Rockets. It is a predictable way of attack and not a muti dimensional approach. Its a one trick pony style and no wonder they fizzle out in the playoffs every year. The bottomline is The Rockets have not won anything and there's a decade and a half of evidence that Moreys principles and strategies do not work. It will not work if he continues to be around. He needs to go.

The approach is wrong and he compounded that by having James Harden as your centerpiece of a franchise. If a team has championship aspirations Moreyball and Harden as #1 will not work. It hasn't worked all these years and theres very little chance it will work any time in the future.

#265 GreatOne1978, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it would be better for Morey to move on.

He needs a less meddling owner.

DD

malakas likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nah

Morey needs a lifetime contract with the Rockets.

HP3 likes this.
  8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

How many rings have the Rockets won with Morey as the leader. Tell us.

The goal is to win and Morey has failed to do that

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Then the Rockets will be ringless for years to come joining the like of Timberwolves, Suns and Kings

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it's a fair question. He really went all in this season and it really does feel like we're stuck in that 2nd tier of teams with no real flexibility to improve. Our roster has always been fundamentally unbalanced, but it's an older roster, it's not an ascending roster, and the production arrow is going to point downward as time goes on, while teams that have been drafting and developing talent are going the other way.

I honestly believe Morey is still one of the best GM's in the league, and it's hard to see how getting rid of him improves the team, but we've also gotta be open to change. Change might be necessary to take that next step, and frankly i don't see how fans aren't a little tired of Morey ball at this point.

GreatOne1978 likes this.
  11. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Naw, I don’t think so. I think they need a coach who can come in and establish is structure offense that can get buckets from different areas of the floor when the 3 ball isn’t falling, has ball movement, and will get other players more involved in the game to take the load off of Harden. Good example is when Phil Jackson first joined the Bulls and established the triangle offense as their system. Took the load off of MJ, Pippen and friends production increased. Next result was Championships. You can look at what GS does with their offense and how the ball moves (pre-Durant days).

HP3 likes this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

Morey is on record saying he is a CP3 fan and wishes he was still on the team

dockerland, YOLO and linvetb6 like this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

No big change no rings

14. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Tilman got too envolved for his own good after he bought the team, Morey was barley a gm.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably so, but not because of Morey.

The same hot takes get made after every season, they are boring at this point.

Morey remains outstanding at what he does.

16. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Nearly every new owner gets too involved early, the question is whether or not they realize it. Fertitta doesn't seem like he's very self aware. The question now is if you send them packing how cheap will the replacements be. Fertitta's son and a Div 3 college coach?

malakas likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope he keeps his job. I don’t trust Fertitta’s judgement one damn bit, so why would I want to see him hire a replacement? We’re a hamstring injury away from a championship. Morey managed that.

18. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

The list of GMs in this league that I'd rather have than Daryl Morey is a short one. Morey managed a successful and relatively short rebuild after the TMAC and Yao era ended, and I would give him the keys to lead the post-Harden era rebuild for this franchise (when ever that may be).

Morey took over the Rockets' GM role prior to the 2007-2008 season. At this time, TMAC and Yao were starting to break down and the team could not break through the first round of the playoffs. The Rockets went for it for another year or two with some decent success but after the 2008-2009 season it was clear the team constructed around the two injury plagued stars was going nowhere. TMAC was traded February 2010 and Yao played in his last NBA game in November of that same year. While keeping the Rockets fairly competitive, he brilliantly managed the cap and flipped assets to improve the team for the next two years. The legendary Harden trade went down in October of 2012. There were some misses but his hit rate on trades and draft picks was very good from the end of the TMAC and Yao era through the eventual rebuild that centered around James Harden.

This franchise is likely headed for a dark era of basketball if Morey leaves.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Thats PR bs. He did the same thing w/ Melo before we cut him

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like DM for a rebuild. For going for it again I’d rather someone else.