1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torta Or Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Sep 10, 2020.

?

Simple question

1. Torta

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Banh Mi

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just to be clear, this poll is for 2nd Place of best sandwiches, correct?

Tha TC, Jontro and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Poloshirtbandit

I'll always have an emotional attachment to Cali's even if they aren't in the original location anymore.

TMac'n likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Yes, we all know you worked at a deli and proud we all are all of you.

I was just going with the "sub-style" sammiches. Except the gyro. Because gyro.

eta: start you own poll on the best sliced bread sammich. I'm in.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

I like both. Truly depends on my mood. I will say both have gone up quite a bit compared to their humble roots.

Best Banh Mi in my opinion is still Les Givrals on Milam. Typically less than $4. I've been to the higher end places and they don't justify the doubling or more in price.

[​IMG]

Best Torta is at La Guadalupana. But I suggest you also try the Semitas. The difference?

Torta Regular
    $3.50
    beans, jalapeños, onions, lettuce, tomato, mayo and avocado. your choice of meats: fajita, pork, chicken, milanesa, steak, barbacoa, carnitas or ham

Semitas Regular
    $3.99
    beans, chipotle, onions, oaxaca cheese, lettuce, tomato and avocado. your choice of meats: fajita, pork, chicken, milanesa, steak, barbacoa or carnitas

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

always nice talking about food with you. never change Buck.

The poll just reminded me of ESPN listing the best players in the NBA, and not including Harden in the Top 7. lulz

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My fave meals in SF have been at a little spot called Burma Superstar. Burmese is like an amazing blend of Indian food and various SE Asians menus. Just so so good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Banh mi gets the slight edge but a good torta is hard to pass up also.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Banh Mi. I can't get enough. I order Banh Mi from a local Vietnamese place every other week, so good.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best Banh Mi I had was in San Francisco on Hyde St. in the Tenderloin. They had a fried fish Banh mi (fish wasn't breaded) that was amazing. I haven't seen that type of Bahn Mi anywhere else.

When I was in Vietnam it seemed like a lot of the food that I had including Bahn Mi wasn't as good as the stuff I can get here in America.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I agree. I will say I had the best banh xeo in vietnam though along with some other dishes that you really can't find in restaurants here. I found that most pho over there doesn't touch the pho we get here and the banh mi wasn't even close. Most stalls only served the ham version and I usually get the chicken here.

It's the same with a lot of countries I've visited. Most taco stalls in Mexico City had inferior pastor tacos to some places here, except for one- El Huaquito. That place was so damn good.

We are very lucky to be in a melting pot country and a very melting pot city for food.

JumpMan, arkoe and TWS1986 like this.
  11. droxford

droxford Member

Where are some good places to get tortas?

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Idk. I love a good Bahn mi.... but a torta cubano from a food truck is worth the years it takes off your life.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Thank you for posting pics and ingredients. I'm not culturally sophisticated enough; had no idea what these food are. They look good though.

#33 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Yes, Cali is still really good. When I'm craving Banh Mi, I always go to Alpha Bakery at the Hong Kong mall on Bellaire. Their combination Banh Mi with Pate and other mystery meats is hands down the best in town

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Man...what a tough one. Banh Mi on the photo finish

16. Buck Turgidson

Mexico's Deli, 100% Taquito, El Rey, the taco truck at Bama Ice House, and I'll always have a special place in my heart for Tapatia, many late night tortas there.

I quit going to Guadalupana years ago when they got busted for getting a bunch of people sick by reusing salsa. While I was looking them up, came across this place that sounds damn interesting: https://lunchinhouston.com/2018/08/13/las-tortas-perronas/

#36 Buck Turgidson, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

I tried the Torta at Taco Cabana this week. Has decent flavor, but no avocado and minimal meat filling. And the thing is TINY. Only get in a pinch.

Not had one around me in a while, but Ruchi's has a decent torta. Price has gone up according to their website.

18. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

What type of Bahn Mi are the best? I always get bbq pork which are great, is there something better I’m missing out on?

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I really like the beef fajita torta at El Rey slathered in their green sauce.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

My favorite is the combination Banh Mi. It's a combination of cold cuts and paté. It might look like mystery meats but its really just like a mix of meats similar to a Subway cold cut combo. My favorite, don't knock it till you've tried it

Here is a simple list of toppings, just missing the soy sauce / Maggi sauce

[​IMG]

#40 TMac'n, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    rocketsjudoka likes this.