1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Gallo is an underrated athlete. He didn’t embarrass himself when he had to play CF last season. I think he can play all 4 corners passably and even CF if his team had good defensive players in LF and RF.

The offer I listed is fair to me but I doubt the Rangers would accept it. Their fans would riot if they traded Gallo to Houston without getting Whitley.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The time to buy is know fellas. Go get what we need. Josh Bell would be my number one. These guys are going cheaply

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gallo has excellent plate discipline. He just has a problem with the whole hitting the ball part regularly.

My guess is that teams will over pay for his power if Rangers do trade him.

phasors28 and raining threes like this.
  4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yea alot of Rangers are saying his price is higher then lynn.

Idk so far its a buyers market.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

I'd certainly go after guys with at least a full year left, preferably two (after this year). Both pitching and hitting. Next 2 seasons will be a big crossroads, for CF, the rotation, the pen, maybe even 1B.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn’t mind seeing an upgrade at backup catcher over Stubbs/Garneau. Maybe Jacob Stallings from the Pirates. Also wouldn’t mind getting Stassi back.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. HTown2017Champs

Stallings is having a great season offensively so far. Garneau has been atrocious as both a hitter and at throwing out runners. Stubbs has only gotten a handful of garbage innings as a catcher, looks like Dusty views him as an emergency option only. Not that it concerns us but the Padres getting Castro is puzzling, since he, like the 2 they already have, is a defense first catcher (so no improvement on offense) and I'm not aware of him previously catching any of their starters. But whatever.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hoping for Edwin Diaz to hear the groans. Basically, any pitching that can get from the starter to back end of the bullpen.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have shown interest in Bradley and lefty Robbie Ray, believing they could fix Ray, who has walked 31 in 31 innings. -Rosenthal

Rosenthal's opinions are suspect, but he does have good scoops.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Ray and Greinke are really close friends, I bet Zack would be pumped if we brought him in. Would love to see Strom work with Ray. Also, it’s pretty wild that the regular season ends in 28 days.

RayRay10 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  11. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Take it with a grain of salt because everyone apparently has sources, but interesting because:
    1) the name he is referring to that is bigger is Mike Clevinger
    2) mentions the Yankees being able to offer a blank check for Lynn

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Padres should trade for everyone.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Gotta respect how the padres are going for it... and if all else fails it would be badass to see them take out the dodgers

14. HTown2017Champs

Padres gonna be very exciting. This Nola move explains Castro. Mejia has untapped potential but he may need to move away from the plate to fully realize it, makes sense as a trade chip for a pitcher. Did not see it coming, but Seattle looks to get a great return for a young controllable player with good offense. And, if they don't win it all this year, at least Nola is still controlled. Moreland also has a cheap option for next year too.

I know it's not happening, but given Click's past work in TB, I'd be happy with a "buy and sell" approach involving trading impending FA and spare/blocked prospects for better prospects and controllable players, to expand the window.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Love what the Padres are doing. Best chance they’ve had in a while, might as well go all in right now.

RayRay10 and everyday eddie like this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Man if they an capitalize and buy and sell I would be happy aswell.
    This looks like a spot where you could go get Josh Bell. Sell off Yuli.
    Find a spot for Reddick and gain a OF for the future.
    This would be a win win win. The Fn Braves want a 3B and a SP so bad it hurts and if we could swing that and Gain a Waters and couple others it would be a steal. Shoot even if we flipped Yuli to the Jays who are also buyers . Man the possibility to trade some and gain some and still compete is amazing

Htown Legend and HTown2017Champs like this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

I’d look to send McCullers to ATL for Drew Waters. Maybe throw in extras to pry away Tucker Davidson too. Especially after how disastrous Tommy Milone was today. I watched him a bit in BAL thinking he’d be a potential target for us and I didn’t like him. Glad we dodged that bullet.

Gurriel to TOR for Griffin Conine
    Reddick to STL for Jake Woodford

Trade for controllable, high-upside “buy low” guys. That’s what I’d do.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Correa and McCullers to Atlanta for Swanson, Waters, and Muller? I’d love that deal for Houston. Waters and Swanson replace Springer and Correa long term. Probably only means a 1-2 game difference this season.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why exactly would the Jays trade one of their top prospects for a one month rental who might help them get the 8th playoff spot? Why would the Astros give up an integral piece?

Why would the sub .500 Cards give up a top young pitcher with years of control for a one month rental of Reddick?

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

After the Astros, an up and coming mid-market city like S.D. is who I want to root for. Maybe its age that brings out my cynicisms more and more, but I just cant stand those super huge market teams, NYY, Dodgers, yuck! So sick of any team from those cities. Talk of cheating should start with teams that can and do out spend all the others year after year. Sound fair. NOPE! Oh, but that is not cheating. That is what then, some form of entitlement? Oh, that kind of advantage is ok. What!