1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook upgraded to questionable for Game 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Theking

Theking Member

Bucks boycotted today.. lets take a stand and boycott the name game.. give Westbrook a few more days

2. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Keep in mind that I have no problem with them postponing today's games. I'm talking about if they cancel the remainder of the postseason, which would be at least in part due to not liking being in the bubble if you go off the tweet above my post.

I don't think it is an entirely unreasonable reaction for any part of the fanbase to feel their enthusiasm for the NBA product wane as a result.

Let's say they cancel the rest. Then something like this happens next season. Cancel again?

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No justice, no sports. My enthusiasm for the NBA has grown exponentially as a result of today. I'm not alone in this and I sincerely doubt I'm in the minority on it either.

4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Quite the opposite for most people. So sick of this. Its just fashion at this point.

a majority of the people roll their eyes and say nothing. vocal minority loud on the internet. you see what you want to see. Id say the vast majority are tired of "for appearance" outrage.

5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

There are two scenarios.

1) a player's strike that lasts a few days, postseason still plays out.
    2) postseason cancelled.

Scenario 1, no problem. Use your platform, all good.
    Scenario 2 is not so simple. That will definitely affect viewership going forward. Maybe not a majority of viewers but it would leave a dent.

How would you feel if the postseason were cancelled?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Please boycott until that quad is tip top!

tinman, ashleyem and peleincubus like this.
  8. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Voting? wtf?

um......vote. problem solved. why is this political?

my question is whats the point of kicking the can on a game date.....what was the point?

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Ballot location availability... and assurances that the counting is done right... etc

10. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

2nd part....rolls eyes.......

1st part.......you know how condescending it sounds saying people cant get to voting booth? Like they are incapable of voting without someone holding their hand? Sounds incredibly condescending.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's not like some are making it as difficult as possible for minorities to vote. That'd be crazy.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

12. Batman Jones

Proud.

There are precious few things that are more important to me than the Houston Rockets, but racial justice is absolutely one of them.

Finishing an NBA playoffs is not more important than 240 years of systemic racism, the results of which have included three murders and one man being paralyzed in just the last couple days.

Until we see equal justice for all Americans, including Black Americans, get used to it. Americans of all races and backgrounds are done putting up with this.

I don’t want the season to be over. But if it means that even one unarmed Black person is not murdered by a white supremacist or by a racist cop, it will all have been so much more than worth it.

I’m not trying to turn this thread into a D&D one but our nation was founded as a matter of protest and protesting injustice is patriotic. It’s also one of the things that makes me most proud to be an American. In a lot of countries, citizens don’t have that right.

NBA players aren’t just obligated to play games. They have a much greater responsibility and that’s to use their enormous platform for good.

saleem, Nook, mightybosstone and 3 others like this.
  13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

If there’s no change next season and it’s like nothing has been done to change it. Yea why not. Your entertainment is more important than human life?
    Hopefully there’s some changes for the better in the near future.

14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Ive read the article. I dont have time to fact check it.

But look, in democrat led areas, minorities and young people as voting block, dont vote. They just dont. Closing places to vote is not going to affect anything. People who want to vote are going to vote. There are plenty of ways. I can go downtown and vote early. Im in a heavily minority area of texas. No problems. Several poll locations. I can look into it more, but Im sorry that link is a bunch of BS excuses.

Lookiing for motive on why the people who dont vote arent voting. Those voting blocks dont show up in the same proportions. Id look into a real reason they closed it before making assumptions on motive. MY guess is not enough turnout can keep the some polling places open logistically

I treat people as individuals and not like pets that need to be helped and cant handle their own business. Its insulting imo.

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Equating that this fixes that problem you say exists is effin hilarious.

16. Batman Jones

“ That I say exists?” You don’t think racism exists? You don’t think that systemic racism exists? You don’t think the cops are murdering Black men with no repercussion? Dude that is ****ed up.

Nobody said this would fix racism. They’re sending a very loud message because, after all that’s happened this summer, a Black man was still shot by a cop seven times in the back while his three kids were watching. Just a couple days ago with no action. And the Wisconsin legislature refused to return to session to do anything about it.

That’s what sparked this. Think they’re still staying home now? I don’t.

EVERY sports league is protesting now. I guess you think nothings going to happen from that? That would be “effin hilarious” if it weren’t so effin sad.

Enough is enough. No justice, no peace.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lol

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Do you think racism exists? Yes

Do you think system racism exists today? No

Do you think cops are murdering black men with no repercussions? No

And yes you did equate them. By saying this needs to happen you are saying how important it is. What Im saying is its not important. For them its fashion. You are playing right into what they want.

I think what your doing right now is racist. Implying black people cant handle their own business and need someone to step in to help them like they are some pet that needs to be protected. Grouping black people together like they are all lockstep on the issue. Its insulting and its gross.

That black man resisted arrest was tazed, and had what looks like a knife. We will found out more. Reaching in a car to either try to get away or reach for something. We dont know. It takes two seconds to pull out a gun and fire at the cops at point blank. Its not like that hasnt happened before. I let the facts come out before I act on emotions. You need to be patient and stop jumping the gun and setting narratives that people wont ever fact check or pay attention. You perpetuate that narrative. Which is a huge problem.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  19. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

thats how I know you dont have an argument. Because of the rest of what i said that you left out. I read the article. I gave it a chance. It literally said nothing and gives no other perspective on why those polling places closed down.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You don't have time to fact check an article citing research by UH professors that have already been fact checked by academic journals. Then you go spout opinions about voting motivations and guesses about why things get closed.

Non political statements of fact: in Texas, polling stations in dominant minority areas close at a higher rate than polling stations in non dominant minority areas. Population in those areas have grown at a much higher rate than in non minority dominant areas. Some closures have violated state minimum polling availability laws.

You can validly state your opinion that if minorities want to vote, they can vote. The valid fact based counter argument to that is in Texas, policy has historically and currently made it more difficult for minorities and minority communities to vote than majority populations and their respective communities.

Anyhow, this thread probably turned too D&D, but the league has become D&D, lol.