1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are the Rockets playoff fta's so low?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis 4 prez, Aug 23, 2020.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the definition of a foul had wide variance depending on which jersey you were wearing this game. that's how OKC shot nearly 3x as many FTA as HOU. case in point harden's first foul w/ CP3 brushing right by him, or CP3's and1 at the end of the game brushing into jeff green. HOU was not getting any calls even remotely close to these, and this was brought up throughout the game by bullard. it's no accident that a tony brothers crew produces our lowest FTA of the season

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

now this is just silly. it's about $ obviously. that's how LAL gets 24 more FT's than POR two nites ago. perhaps you missed the WCF in 2000 & 2002? 2018?

Blurr#7, fckbandwagons and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Mr. Space City

okc should have shot more free throws than the rockets tonight but not 28-10. that's absurd.

cp3 got touch fouls he never got as a rocket.

put eric gordon on the mavs and he's automatically getting to the line 8 times a game.

do i have to bring up my sig again?

4. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Its not even that I want the Rockets to get calls and the Thunder to not get them..... I just DO NOT understand WHY they're being called on 1 side and NOT on the other. It seems like Thunder getting a ton of touch fouls and questionable calls, yet Houston has something obvious happen (no, not Gordon yelling and flailing his arms) and nothing. Play on as usual.

In both of our losses that disparity played a part. Harden's "travel" 3 kept this from being a different game... its just really maddening to watch and the numbers even back it up. Gahrahhhrrr!!!!!!!!

5. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

i think we all just want a fair game called at the end of the day - no matter who is playing. that's what sucks about this league and being a bball fan, we haven't gotten it in the past and we wont get it any time going forward. the league has been successful with their hidden agendas so why change now...

BigShasta likes this.
  6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm certain there's no pro-OKC conspiracy. whatever the facts, the rockets receive fewer playoff ft's year after year. i think there been 32 games the last 3 years (i.e. not a small sample) and we're lagging fta expectations by a fairly huge margin. 26-10 is a largely unexplainable discrepancy (much like lakers/portland being 34-8 at one point in their last game). of course it is explainable once you see tony brothers was officiating. 4 ft's outside of two 3 point fouls they basically had to call early in the 1st quarter.

7. francis 4 prez

they held people about 20% below league average. we are at about 40% below the playoff average right now. that's a lot when you play an OT game and another really close game.

and that certainly hasn't kept other teams from being wildly over what their expected free throws are. miami took as many free throws yesterday in their previous game as we did in games 2, 3, and 4 combined.

edit: the only 3 teams to shoot less than 13 ft's so far in the playoff were on one side or the other of blowouts where i think there were at least 30 point leads at one point. lakers over portland in game 2, toronto over brooklyn in one of those blowouts, and utah when they got beat by 37 by denver.

#67 francis 4 prez, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Corrosion likes this.
  8. francis 4 prez

didn't we do that right after watching klay thompson go under james harden's legs 3 times in 24 minutes with no call when that exact call was a point of emphasis that year? and wasn't the rest of the series called much more evenly? it's like saying, sure they screwed us over, but don't whine about it or, watch out, they're going...to...screw us over i guess?

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

This is not about anyone hating anyone. Its all about the money and it’s all been about stretching these series as much as possible. Nothin new here. You can look at the stats. Crappier teams getting better whistles. All these games gonna go 7 games bro. Clippers and Lakers get the most ratings. So one of those gonna be champions. Just watch the highlights. You won’t be hating yourself watching this charade as much.

s3ts likes this.
  10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

It’s clear. The rockets have been aver
    When rockets hit 120, they usually win. The thunder don’t have that kind of firepower. If you add up the starting 8 pig, they don’t even come close. So, they(Disney) has to make up the point spread in free throws.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We missed so many threes in that third quarter and made some terrible plays late in the game.

We lost this game. We were not cheated. The officiating did not control the game. For Christ sake we literally had the exact same record as this team. What makes you think we’re so much better than them? Not to mention we’re missing Russ.
    Aren’t they the best closing team? So if they’ve been as good as we have all season, if not better, and we brick 13 threes in a row, and are missing Russ, and already won the first 2 of 3, should we not accept this as a loss and hope for better next game.

12. francis 4 prez

we shot 40% on 3's. do we have to make a great percentage for every 5 minute run of the game to have a complaint?

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Please. Usually a team thats hot in the beginning and cold in the end won’t produce great outcomes.
    But Ok, take issue with what I have to say and let’s stick to the theme of this thread and cry about officiating and the NBA beating against us.

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Ooh I don't know. LAL will not have a 7 game series to me.

Either way, these announcers don't have nice things to say about HOU as a team or city most of the time. They seem to hate the team and the city.

Watching Game 4, it seems like they're just huge fans of Chris Paul, apparently. But if that's all you're hating an entire city for, it also means you suck as a human being as well.

15. HardenVolumeOne

its not just rockets fans, people on social media are sick of the biased officiating in the bubble

s3ts likes this.
  16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You don't get calls when you are chucking up 50-60 3's a game.

tinman likes this.
  17. HardenVolumeOne

so eric, harden and rivers dont attack the paint

bro2044 likes this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They didn't when we were cold as ice from 3 the past 2 games.

19. HardenVolumeOne

but they did attack the paint, maybe they started shooting 3's because they were NOT getting the touch calls that okc was getting. so harden injured his shoulder by shooting 3's huh

#79 HardenVolumeOne, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    bro2044 likes this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

Rockets not getting love from the refs is quite common. It makes sense when you have at least two guys who whine on almost every drive in Gordon and Harden, but CP3 gets the calls so that needs to be rectified. We also do commit a lot of fouls when a big gets close to the basket, on boxouts and with our tendency to reach and swipe at the ball we probably should be high in giving up FTs.

However, I must say, it seems very much that the referees are looking to call fouls on us at times. It's like once a Rocket gets even close to someone, whistle. Thunder player comes down the lane, screams bloody murder, foul. Rockets do it, chirps...now I don't want those calls to go against the Thunder, I just then don't want them called on the Rockets either. Those CP3 baiting fouls in particular, since they're not giving Harden those except when it's a three and the defender runs into our screener top of the circle. I've seen Harden get that 2 or 3 times now.