1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin peeps, stay safe this weekend

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Jul 31, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tinman likes this.
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Whats going on

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why? There’s a break in the game. It’s going into overtime.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Wait, so.... What??

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Protests over recent protester shooting?

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Police didn't shoot anyone, it was an Uber Driver who did.
    So why are the protesting that? The dude who got killed was carrying an AR-15 Rife.

RustyHarden and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're making sense, but the world's been senseless lately.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh I'm not going to any protest, for 1, I don't want to be around hundreds of people in the middle of a pandemic.

the most people I'm around is at HEB buying snacks.

King1, Rodman23, ROXRAN and 2 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven’t been inside of a business since the 3rd week of March. We get our snacks delivered from HEB and Central Market, Wholefoods, and Amazon. You name it and we get it dropped off at our door. Steaks, veggies, dog food for our Labradoodle, wine, beer and various unmentionables. ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up, @basso, but we’re careful.

King1, Rodman23, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I go to HEB and Central Market all the time, they do a great job of cleaning and everyone has to wear a mask.

The bigger risk is indoor restaurants where you have to take your mask off to eat.

King1 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I hope basso and tinman gave each other reacharounds for this thread.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

do yall wash down and disinfect your groceries? i soap wash everything and throw away the plastic bags outside, don't even bring it in.

tinman and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Nook, boomboom, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

NEO AUSTIN IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes. That’s the worst part of the whole exercise. You’re smart to do it, but it’s a pain. Not as much of a pain as getting the virus would be for us, though. The thing is, you have to do it whether someone goes to a store or not, and if you go inside, the odds are increasingly “good” (none of this is good!) that there is someone shopping that has it and probably doesn’t know it.

We get food sometimes doing curbside pickup at restaurants, but it’s from places we used to eat at regularly, we pay for it before we get there, and everyone is wearing masks. At home, we remove the food and throw away everything it came in before eating it. After doing this for 4 months, I’m fighting off a serious case of cabin fever. Thank god the Rockets are playing again. At least I can yell at the refs, the other teams, and when one of our guys does something stupid again. What a relief!

My theory is that being alive beats the alternative.

basso and Jontro like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am careful and get rid of containers where possible, or let things "cool off" in the garage if they don't need to be refrigerated, and give my hands a great wash after grocery shopping, but no, I don't go whole hog disinfecting things like that.

The data seems to show spread from surfaces is fairly minimal. You're much more at risk just breathing air in a grocery store, based on the data, than you are handling grocery bags once you're back home. So I think the best thing to do is be ultra-efficient with your in-store shopping, wearing a good, tight mask, or even do what @Deckard is saying and get groceries delivered.

Rashmon, Jontro and CCity Zero like this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Has anyone explained what the hell this thread was initially about

RKREBORN, TWS1986 and JumpMan like this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

theres supposed to be some large-scale protests going on this weekend. they have been happening every night since floyds murder, but im hearing that protestors are planning to do some more high-profile things like scale some buildings and hang banners or something.

im sure basso is concerned about us!

basso, tinman and Deckard like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Plastic bags are still banned.

basso, tinman and KingCheetah like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Living in a house with grown kids, @B-Bob, one out of town and no visitors except our daughter in Austin every couple of weeks (who doesn’t drive, is a software whiz that works from home, and is as careful as we are), we have a spare bedroom that we’ve turned part of into a oversized pantry.

Lots of bookshelves with stuff lined in front of novels and nonfiction. I love history, although I’ll certainly be avoiding histories of Covid-19 and how different countries dealt with it, assuming I live long enough to read them. Living it and absorbing the news while it’s happening is almost more than I can stand. The things that have been in there a couple of weeks? We figure time has killed the virus. We throw away or toss in the recycle bin the bags, etc., that the stuff came in when it arrived, of course.

We also use soap and water to clean most of the things we get. That’s thanks to someone I am tempted to call a national treasure, Dr Sanjay Gupta, a brain surgeon who somehow finds the time to be CNN’s premier medical expert. He’s assiduously apolitical. Normally, the only hint of how he feels about something politically you have to really pay attention to catch. He’s like Uncle Walter on CBS back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. A slightly raised eyebrow, perhaps, easy to miss. That’s about it. Early on, he said that soap and water works as well as bleach if you are thorough and explained why. We largely left the bleach, which was killing us. At least it felt like it.

B-Bob likes this.