1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I suspect this is something that many people want to keep quiet about. Not something they want to advertise to the neighborhood. I say this because I know there must be a number of people in my neighborhood that have it, but not a peep from anyone. Usually people do a lot of gossiping on the Facebook page. People being real quiet.

B-Bob and Blatz like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of my friends had it, we hang out with their family, both our boys play soccer together - she got it on a biz trip - 12 days of fever - she survived but it took 2 more weeks after she was over it to feel fully healthy, neither her husband or son got it either ....even though she was quarantined in their house.

DD

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that happening. In most plagues there has been fear and shame among those who had it and infected or those just suspected of being infected have been ostracized.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear that, basso. Talk about close to home. That's like a nightmare becoming real. As I mentioned to B-Bob a little while back, I've felt really weird from time to time and had a low grade fever that went away, wondering if I was getting it or if it was just allergies, Austin being the capital of Texas allergies, besides "just" being the Capital. Then I'll go back to whatever passes for normal these days. My S.O. has been drinking more than usual herself. I haven't (likely would except for the meds I take), but seem to be sleeping less and less.

We've been lucky, but we've been self-isolated since early March. Except for picking up a couple of things from the drive-thru of my pharmacy, which uses something similar to what a drive-thru teller uses, my only other trips have been to pick up the mail. A couple of days ago, however, I was brave and got some Cajun food from a great place that's close, one I had lunch at once or twice a week and knew all the waitresses before this madness. That was a first. I seem to have survived, so far.

We're having our daughter over Wednesday, which will be the first time we've had another person in the house. We'll all be wearing masks most of the time. Guess we'll have to eat off of trays and/or the bar to maintain the 6+ feet. I'm grilling Beyond Burgers for the two vegetarians, a steak for myself. I'm starting to get hungry!

boomboom and basso like this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A friend of my family had it. Her advice was, "don't get this!!"

My doctor told me a couple of weeks ago that he's disappointed that this virus is framed as either a cold or death. He says it's the crap in the middle that he's seeing in patients he's treating that concerns him...effects on lungs in particular that carry long term consequences.

malakas, No Worries, Nook and 4 others like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and it can impact patients younger than those we keep hearing are the only people "in danger." These false claims are misleading many to make assumptions that simply aren't true.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just heard from a friend in Austin that has it. She's said it's been awful, much worse than any flu she's had.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm dying for more data on this to come out. I feel like I cannot make rational decisions without this part of the equation.

mikol13, MadMax and Deckard like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Phrasing!

arkoe and Ziggy like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My gf caught it up in Toronto. We have a long distance relationship and she was getting ready to move here until everything got shutdown. She works at the airport up there. That's how she got it and that's why she was actually able to get a test. Overall her experience wasn't horrible except for the mornings of the 7th and 8th day where she had trouble breathing when she woke up. She compared it to the flu for the most part. She is still dealing with sense of smell issues but they are improving.

A couple I know out in San Diego caught it. One was mild and the other had all of the symptoms and a high fever. He is in his 30s but HIV+ but has it controlled and his husband is in his late 40s but had the mild condition. Neither was actually confirmed positive, but the doctor said it was almost certain they had it. They are both fully recovered.

One friend from jiujitsu that was was confirmed to have had it thru an antibody test and another who very likely had it. I'm still waiting for the Roche antibody test or something more reliable to see if I had it since I had some odd symptoms back in March when those guys were likely infected. I had another jiujitsu friend who had some legit persistent symptoms, but did test negative from a lower tier antibody test. They are all fully recovered.

A couple degrees of separation, but a friend of a friend's parents went on a cruise after all this had started. One had no symptoms and the other had very mild symptoms and they took an antibody test after coming back and they both tested positive.

mikol13 and malakas like this.
  12. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

One of my parents neighbors is a physician and she was infected in early march probably in the hospital, she recoverd since.

Other than that one of my friend caught it when he was in Italy, he had a hard recovery but his healthy now.

I have my own suspicions that I might had it(asymptomatic, didn't have any symptoms that I can recall) but I was in Vietnam for 18 days in january mostly in tourists hotspots so it's possible.

13. SuraGotMadHops

I only know one person (and his wife) that had it (Houston area). He got it from a customer that visited his store that did not know he had it. When he tested positive he called the store to warn them he may have exposed them. Sure enough, my friend got it and unknowingly gave it to his wife at home. They are both ok now but it was 2-3 weeks of cough, fever, and GI issues before they got better. Apparently the GI symptoms are unique to the strain that has been going around the Houston area.

I am also pretty sure another friend in the Houston area had it back in February before this became a thing. He had all the symptoms and the doctors kept testing him for flu and it came back negative every time. The docs just assumed it was an unknown viral infection....fast forward one month, I think we have a pretty good idea what that was. I think the virus hit the U.S. earlier than we think, it just wasn't common knowledge back then and we did not know what to test for.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

A family member has had since March 20. She was really sick the first two weeks. Has recovered, but still Covid positive and entirely asymptomatic. How scary is that? She will test again in couple days. Crossing fingers for about the 5th time.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The interesting part is that those who don't get it may have a scarlet letter too, and not be allowed to work. It shames you both ways. This f'er is cold blooded.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Countless?

STR8Thugg likes this.
  17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Whaaaa????

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i searched, but couldn't find @what 's thread. if it's still up, would appreciate a link.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the docs are treating my daughter as if she has it, although her test was negative. she is symptomatic (cough is gnarly), and lives in a house w/ someone who was a confirmed positive. she's a high school senior, headed to college in the fall, and with all the uncertainty of school re-openings/campus living etc, it would be preferable to have an actual diagnosis i think.

son and i have no obvious symptoms thus far, and we're +3 weeks since my wife returned from her dad's.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yes

I don't know what it is, maybe folks aren't swabbing properly or it isn't in nasal secretions after a while, but the COVID clinical picture is pretty unique, if the tests come back negative should still treat as is--think the CDC recommends the same. Hope she makes a speedy recovery and stay safe.

I'm so sorry man, this disease is so crazy. Someone above mentioned a bacterial pneumonia and why someone would be very sick with COVID...while that's something you would think under normal circumstances COVID causes such resp distress that if someone were in the hospital for it, at least you could treat the pneumonia aspect hoping for improvement. For the people that it causes severe symptoms in...I've never seen chest x-rays like it or folks requiring 40L + of oxygen

#40 LosPollosHermanos, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    malakas and Xerobull like this.