1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are better!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Feb 5, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don’t see it as much of a strategy as it is an admission in failure to get rotation players for free because the front office is just sooo smart. Austin Rivers, McLemore, and House are decent end of the bench guys who can have good games but aren’t starter quality core players that most playoff teams have that we do not.

2. mightybosstone

I think they're better on paper, even if I'm not 100% sure how they're going to play against guys like Davis and Jokic in the West. RoCo gives them an extremely versatile stretch 4 who can defend multiple positions, and I'm fully expecting them to play Tucker at the 5, not too dissimilar from the Chuckwagon days (if Chuck was like 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter).

The head scratcher to me is the pick, though. I was fine with the Clint for Covington swap. That makes sense if you're willing to admit that this team doesn't want a traditional center anymore. But giving up the 1st just feels like desperation to get Clint out of Houston, get under the LT threshold and get Covington here. It makes it seem like Covington was the only guy they could have gotten and that they had zero leverage.

In the end, if this works out and helps the Harden/Westbrook duo thrive in the long-term, I'm supportive of the move. But it had better work out. Because if you don't get better and you just got killed in a big trade in value, this trade is going to look like a dumpster fire in a few months.

Relativist likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Surely the goal isn’t to win mid 50s games. It’s a ring.

does this make them better for that?

to me it depends 100% on what they do with this large $12 million trade exception.

moreover. If you’re trading future draft picks you should be getting better. You’re getting something now by giving up something later. He gotten better enough this year by trading all these future firsts? If they lose in the 2nd round or even the third round I’ll say no (or certainly not enough).

Relativist likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you don’t win championships by only having a dominant offense. The real test of the trade will be defense.

and the really really test will be do they win a ring. They’ve now given up 3 firsts and 2 first swaps through the next 7 drafts.

Relativist likes this.
  5. gogispade

gogispade Member

AD winks at u

6. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

I just don’t understand this, it makes no sense NO CENTER???

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Don't forget joker, Whiteside, golbert

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think the rockets have too many inconsistant shooter that in a 7 game series teams will be able to pick a shooter to leave open. I can see teams saying we will let (pick one) roco, Tucker, rivers, house shoot depending on who is struggling. I can also see teams with good defensive centers like Lakers, Utah saying we will leave Westbrook open up top and have out center contest drives.

I am excited about regular season but those teams in the playoffs scare me. That lob opened up things for harden.

Relativist likes this.
  9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you saying that anyone currently does?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Well obviously it’s a ring. The rockets weren’t going to close out the year prior to that in that way.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We might be marginally better on paper.
    I don’t think the Rockets can acquire anyone of significance with 12 M. They will certainly have to send out another 1st rounder.
    Buyouts are tricky, Morey will be up against the Lakers, Clippers, and the Nuggets plus anyone who wants to go to the East.

12. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

We were not going to stop the Lakers at the rim. You have to stop them before it gets there and outscore them. Clint was not going to be a threat offensively in the playoffs. There’s another trade coming. Hurts to lose the FRP but that was what it took to get Covington and flexibility to complete the next trade.

D-rock likes this.
  13. TimV

TimV Member

that’s not his point. What’s going to happen on the other end of the floor with two of the worst defenders at the guard position and no one in the center to bail them out?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

They did it with PJ, bev etc. I certainly won’t be surprised

Reeko likes this.
  15. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Why is their defensive rating climbing then without Capela? They are 11-1 without him so far. Stopping the PNR has more to do with clogging the lane then with rim defense especially with a switch heavy scheme.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this make them a contender? No

Does it make them better? Yes.

With the personnel the Rockets have, you can't have two guys (Capela & Westbrook) who can't shoot the 3. That's the bottom line.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

sign back Kenneth Faried

D-rock and RocksMillenium like this.
  18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

We weren't having success with them with Capela.

19. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

It's not even just defending a big, if the last few games are any indication, even guards or smaller players from the opposing team will constantly attack the rim and increase their chances of offensive rebounds. There's a reason tiny ball is uncommon and Rocket will find out if they continue on this path. Of all of Morey's and MDA's Rockets Lab ideas, this is the one I don't understand. Yes, it's fun to watch a game or two with players 6'-6" and under, but please, let's not make a thing out of it.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

In all seriousness yes, he's only 30 and he would be perfect for this team at center. Can you get him from his team in China though.

D-rock likes this.