1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo wants out...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Nov 12, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

LOL at the whole theory of "Coach X is limiting Melo's offensive skills".

The NBA, as a whole, is limiting Melo's offensive skills. The NBA has evolved beyond what Melo, at this stage in his career, can provide to a team at a high volume capacity.

Richie_Rich, JuNx, Zboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Care to share the stats that show Melo is a great post up player?

SF3isBack!! and hakeem94 like this.
  3. basketballholic

I would never work for another team. I don't care if it was 7 figures. I'm not interested.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Quinncy

Quinncy Member

You are somewhat correct. But Melo is only able to shoot threes in this offense. That is limiting, especially when the best part of his game is the mid range and the post up.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

smh at trying to accommodate vet min Melo...either fall in line and buy in or gtfo

Melo has no clout here and isn’t good enough for any team to be bending over backwards for him

OKC gave him his ISO, post up, and midrange opportunities, and guess what? He was trash...

6. DareDevil14

DareDevil14 Member

I was hoping he would somewhat help this team, but if he wants out good riddance.
    Lets worry about winning and maybe trading for someone that wants to be here.

darksoul35 likes this.
  7. sefril

sefril Member

Great. Now everytime I see you post and see your avatar pic, I see the urine drinking man.

Pizza_Da_Hut and hakeem94 like this.
  8. basketballholic

You're wrong DD.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wouldn't that mean I'm...entirely correct? The NBA shifted away from the mid range and post up years ago and that makes what Melo could give us very limited. It's not that the offensive system is limiting Melo; the whole NBA is playing that way save for, what, a couple of teams?

10. basketballholic

Look them up yourself. Melo is an offensive mismatch that should be used and exploited. He can take bigs outside and either shoot over them or drive past them on closeouts. And he can take smaller defenders in the post and kill them. He's as much better offensively than Draymond as Draymond is defensively than him. And Melo is an underrated defender when he defends bigs.

Not exploiting Melo at the 5 in our small ball lineup is a travesty. Especially when this team is playing this poorly out of the box.

We're gonna experiment with Clark in the starting line-up but we're not going to run Melo at the 5 and build on what we all saw in pre-season??????

Gimme a break man.

This is on MDA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. basketballholic

Context. A word you know nothing about.

#51 basketballholic, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  12. basketballholic

Dunno. But his salary sure isn't that impediment that Capela's is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. marky :)

marky :) Member

We're just going to ignore this part? So the family issues were actually Pringle's issues?

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I just knew we should of started building around Melo!

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Mr Kerr? Is that you?

Seriously.......we were without Moute and effectively without Ryan Anderson. No one said crap about that until Moute left this summer, then it's, "Losing Moute will really, really, really, really, really, really, really hurt the Rockets."

And your Clint Capela obsession! Especially since you add "we're going to regret not using Melo correctly". Chemistry has been jacked. This isn't a YMCA pickup game.

topfive likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If melo really wants out then so be it. Chemistry killer? Well this is exactly what we are talking about if his demands of wanting out now are true! Clark and Capella may not always be the answer at the 4/5 but a ball stopping Melo is not. If he wants to go to L.A. fine by me. Melo for Kuzma. The game has changed since his Denver and now Knicks days. Letting him go is not a mistake... letting him gonfor nothing is a big mistake. Hopefully some other team with someone we need still thinks Mello has "elite offensice skills".

17. basketballholic

The MOUTE loss against the Warriors hurt is more than losing Paul against them. Because MOUTE could play the 5 and get Capella off the floor. He's a much more versatile player defensively at the 5 than Capela with the ability to also shot the 3 and put the ball on the deck and go to the hole.

Moute's loss is what is hurting this current team the most. Not Ariza. Moute.

I have never varied on my feelings and comments about Moute. He was much more important to our success than Ariza last year.

18. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Finally a real insider with detail info :p

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

20. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Severely
    Thaks for the input... However, I passionately disagree with your assessment. Melo’s offensive game has not proved to be adequate enough to get a team deep into the playoffs. The Rockets, however, very well could have won it all last year. Catering to Melo offensively would change the entire dynamic of what the Rockets are and he’s just too inefficient. And his defense is atrocious. The Rockets hardly have a possession where they stop the other team from scoring when Carmelo is in the game. Even as a rookie, Gary Clark is a BIG TIME defender. You can tell by the way he plays help D and the intelligence he shows in predicting the the other team’s offense. People tend to short sell great defense and that’s a mistake. However good we think Carmelo is offensively (which I don’t think he’s that great), he is an all-time defensive liability.