1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: I don't think Lebron is considering Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 21, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is really all I ask for. Please do not drag this on.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't break anything LeBron related as far as I know. He has followed LeBron around for years so he can make certain observation about LeBron James and the other Cavs but that is it. LeBron doesn't confide in Windhorst, he has been pointed out as someone that James knows is always fishing for information, LeBron James has never given Windhorst information.

adw, BigMaloe, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is exactly what I have seen, too.

Windhorst is much, much more of a correspondent than he is an insider. He has value based on years of following LeBron and his people, but it's apples and oranges compared to guys like Woj, Stein, Shams, Shelburne, etc. who are there to break news. Nonetheless, many folks on this board (and nearly all of the aggregation sites) treat every speculative word out of his mouth as though it's some deeply sourced report. So frustrating. Not intending this to be a shot at Windhorst in any way... he's fine. It's the way some folks immediately take his opinions as breaking news that irks me.

Again, for clarity, if I had to bet... I wouldn't pick Houston as LeBron James' destination. But a few speculative ramblings from SAS and Windhorst aren't the reason. Those shouldn't move the needle.

amaru, adw, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think there's some real truth to this lol

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I seriously think Morey should bring Deshaun Watson, apparently that guy is a leader of men. He is the most exciting thing in US sports, we saw that last year. Together they can help turn Houston into title town Texas. Imagine the HEB commercials with Lebron and Watson and Verlander, sooo good.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Just to illustrate this point; after LeBron punched that whiteboard, Windhorst himself did not know of the injury in enough detail to actually report on it until after the news had already been broken by LeBron wearing the cast at the press conference. He was on a Hoop Collective pod saying that he was sniffing around the Cavs medical staff trying to figure out what was going on cause he got nothing out of any of the Cavs players or management.

Invisible Fan, adw, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Unless the third player is Kawhi or Kyrie, no. Curry is better than Paul George and Thompson is as good as any other third star they would add other than Kawhi. Then they have no one to match up with Draymond Green. Also, because the Lakers are operating under the cap this season, they have no exceptions to offer ring chasers. Those players would have to play on minimum type contracts. Not happening this season. Next season would be a different story, during which LeBron turns 35. LeBron is not at the age where he can wait a season to complete a championship caliber roster. That’s what he more than likely would have to do if he goes to Los Angeles.

So barring a trade for Kawhi before or during free agency, LeBron would be gambling that the Lakers can trade for him before or during this season. Also, if the Lakers can’t trade for Kawhi, they won’t have the cap space to sign him as a free agent in 2019 once they sign LeBron and PG13.

With the Rockets, he doesn’t have to wonder if his team can beat the Warriors this year. They are ready-made to do so.

8. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

As others have mentioned, Windhorst has not broken any news related to LeBron and free agency. Windhorst is reliable during his regular season beat but let’s not give him more credit then he’s due.

The only people who may be even close to aware of what’s happening is LeBron’s wife, his agent, and maybe 1-2 close friends. That’s it. Everyone else is speculating.

I don’t think LeBron’s heading here but that’s as informed of an opinion as Windhorst has at this point...

amaru likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst:

What I'm about to say is my opinion. It's an informed opinion. It's not a report. It's my opinion. It's an informed opinion. My feel is LeBron is not picking up that option. He'll go to unrestricted free agency & that will result in Houston & San Antonio being out of the mix. I think he'll interact with them but I think it's Cleveland, Philly or LA with Cleveland or LA being the two real choices. ... Nothing is impossible but it would be more feasible if he wanted to go to Houston or San Antonio to opt in.

DonKnock, lionaire and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is my expectation as well, tbh.

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

ZERO PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

BW: Only a handful(7) of teams have space. We don't think the Bulls will be aggressive in FA. We think they'll be aggressive in the take a player from a team desperate to get rid of money. Atlanta is another team with space. Even the teams with space aren't bidding.

Lowe: I think Nurkic will take the QO. He turned down a lot of money in October. Who's offering him more than the MLE?

BW: LeBron will operate...his decision will come & go & Kawhi will still be a Spur.

BW: LeBron, for example, when he made his last two announcements, he made them before he told the team.

ZL: O/U on when he makes his decision?

BW: Everyone will be on holiday through July 4th. It'll be over by July 4th.

ZL: I'm setting it at July 11 1/2

BW: Nope. Way under.

ZL: Really? You think it's gonna come fast?

BW: I do.

BW: My feel is that...I don't think there's much desire for Kawhi to play with LeBron.

ZL: I don't think they have a relationship.

BW: He didn't with Kevin Love. Kawhi is not gonna enter into LeBron's situation. That could drag out all summer or into February.

ZL: What if Paul George stays in OKC?

BW: Right now, I'm 51% Lebron to LA, regardless of Paul George & Kawhi Leonard. Percentage wise, 51% LA, 40% Cleveland, 9% Philadelphia. That's where I'm at now.

Rachel: Why?

BW: I can't say.

BW: I think this is gonna be a different free agency for LeBron. When he makes up his mind, it'll be less about the roster. I think it'll be about "I want happiness."

BW: On a personal level, after everything I've seen him go through, I want for him to be happy. I think that's gonna be a guiding principle here.

Rachel: I wonder what happiness looks like for him today vs. whatever team he picks and he's out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

BW: Let's say on July 3rd because I'm now hedging before July 4th, let's say on July 3rd he chooses the Lakers & Paul George stays in OKC and Kawhi stays or whatever and the Lakers say "We'll sign LeBron & re-sign Julius Randle." LeBron might say "OK, I'm doing this because my family wants to be in LA, this is long term where we're gonna be, and I'm gonna do this because this is great for my family." Do I think when they're 31-26, do I think he may look back & have regrets in various moments? Yeah, I think that could happen but with no great options developing, I think he'll choose his compromise & think that's where it's headed.

#132 J.R., Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    malakas and Vivi like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

the amount of crow that would be served if Bron actually came to Houston :eek::eek:

his last 2 free agencies were never all that transparent, yet all these people in the media are acting like they got the drop on what Lebron will do

DonKnock and adw like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Windhorst has definitely heard something. I listened to that podcast and he repeatedly said this before July 4th thing. This is a new position for him and he stressed it.

15. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I THINK Lebron's competitiveness is too strong to be ok with that compromise.

16. DVauthrin

Windhorst may end up being right, but both Houston and Philadelphia are really good options from a roster perspective. For him to say otherwise is foolish.

adw likes this.
  17. DVauthrin

He’s heard whatever someone wanted leaked to him. That’s it. He also works for a media entity that now has a major presence in Los Angeles, just like Broussard at Fox Sports, so they want him to push the LeBron to the Lakers narrative.

Bottom line, Windhorst is fooling himself if he really believes LeBron is going to Los Angeles to ride out his career with a group of kids no matter how much his family wants him there.

Food for thought: If Houston wasn’t a serious contender for LeBron, why do reporters like Windhorst feel the need to stress that he’s not considering the Rockets every time they open their mouth?

#137 DVauthrin, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  18. tnopham

tnopham Member

You don't go checking out private schools in a city that isn't an option. Just saying.

basketballholic and Bobsputin like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

hahaha what a joke.
    Lebron who is like a GM/Coach is going to say ok if the Lakers only sign Randle and he has a roster full of immature kids and Lavar.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DonKnock, pippendagimp and Vivi like this.
  20. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Really, people will fool themselves to believe what they want to believe. Thwy want lbj to la so bad, but it’s honestly career suicide for lebron. Like, not even in a honorable way like harki kari. Like straight up gonna **** himself.

malakas likes this.