1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

things you just don't get

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Or you could just call it "tea".

2. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

This is a joke, right? You could say this about anything. If your argument was just "tea", then yeah. But otherwise you're just breaking down the name. Like Diet Coke would be "Coke without sugar". Gluten free bread would be "bread without gluten". Unsalted peanuts would be "peanuts without salt" and so on.

Also, the reason we specify is because sweet tea has eclipsed unsweetened as the most popular. Using an example from above, if gluten free bread is the most popular in the future, you'd have to specify "bread with gluten" to order it.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cosplay. I've never understood what somebody gets out of creating a full-blown Overwatch costume that they walk around a convention hall in.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Haha I wasn’t thinking when type that. I meant to say tea vs sweetened tea.

5. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Alright, I get it then. I think it's just the popularity aspect. Most people want sweet tea, so "tea" defaults to sweet tea. I hate ordering it at restaurants and stuff because half the time they just think I said sweet.

Same thing with peanuts. Why are peanuts without salt called "unsalted"? They don't grow on the plant salted, so shouldn't it be "salted peanuts" and "peanuts"? But almost no one wants them unsalted, so salted is the default.

Yep...feel like I'm in a Seinfeld episode.

jayhow92 likes this.
  6. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I think for a bunch of people, it's a sexual thing. A character like Lara Croft is a sex symbol now, so guys want girls to dress like her, and girls want to experience being her.

I'll admit, I've thought about it that way a few times. I was chubby for most of my life and have just gotten fit within the last few years. I've thought about stuff like dressing up as Krieg from Borderlands. That way I could show off my abs to everyone without being seen as a weirdo lol

Of course, there are those people who dress up as like...Master Chief from Halo. I guess it's like any other hobby, some people get it and some don't.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I looked up the ingredients for homemade barbecue sauce once and pretty much season ribeyes and strips with those in smaller portions but leave out honey and ketchup/tomato paste; a little bit of overlap with paprika, red pepper and hot sauce all in the mix but the steak still comes out fine and makes a decent gravy.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think a small portion of the female contingent might be strippers, professional doms or local community theater actresses. But there are business models and customer experiences I don't understand, like Twitch.

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

A good number of these people have low self-esteem and are looking for attention. By dressing up as these fantasy characters they get the attention and praise they are lacking. As powerless as they feel in their individual lives, pretending to be these larger than life characters beloved by many gives them a temporary sense of fulfillment and control.

Nook likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

People’s fascination with guns.

How we find it perfectly normal to drink other animals milk or eat their liquefied offspring (not saying I don’t do these things, it’s just kinda weird how we don’t find it kinda weird).

How people can eat at the same places, vacation to the same place, and go to the same job....over and over again and not get bored.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How much animal semen you swallowing?

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

why do sports pages post highlight clips on facebook zoomed in so it only shows 1/3 of the actual clip....