1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Calm & Carry On. The Rockets don't need a PG upgrade right now...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. baubo

baubo Member

Indeed. No team can possibly make the WCFs and beat CP3 in the process with a pair of 37yr old reclamation projects as PGs... What a failure of a team that would've been.

The Rockets can definitely use an upgrade at PG, but it’s not end of the world if they decide to upgrade elsewhere. Beverley’s fine if we just upgrade at forwards.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

that is the point, the playoffs. brewer & smith were key players in the playoffs. both were mid-season acquisitions

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Smith was waived, otherwise he wouldn't have been available. The Rockets were fortunate to acquire Brewer for hardly anything.

There is no guarantee that he will be lucky again.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We can't wait til midseason to try to acquire a PG. It's too risky. Half a dozen quality PGs were moved at the trade deadline last season and we wound up with Pepperoni. What if that happens again and we wind up empty-handed? Then we're heading into the playoffs next April with Bev and Terry(assuming he resigns) as our PG rotation. What if Bev gets hurt yet again late in the season as he always does? What if Terry is washed up at age 38? We need someone who can be counted on to play 20-25 minutes and step in as the starter if necessary.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why exactly?

With a healthy DMo and a healthy Beverly along with Johnson and Capela being a year older the team is better than the one that went to the WCF and won 56 games.

The Rockets are one of the elite as is right now. Daryl Morey needs to take his time and make the right move and not just rush into the next move. (Thank You Jonathan Feigen for that line)

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Don't you already know that PG and coaching DO NOT matter to Maury

7. crash5179

Actually that approach worked damn good last season. Were you watching reruns from the 2011 season? The Rockets picked up both Smith and Brewer mid season and the Rockets had their best season in almost 2 decades making to the WCF.

8. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

I agree. My original post was supposed to have a period at the end not a question mark lol.

9. count_dough-ku

Is our goal to make it to the WCF or win the whole damn thing? The Rockets barely eeked out their 56th win and the Southwest Division on the final day of the season. They needed a miraculous comeback from an 89-70 deficit in Game 6(and a 3-1 series deficit) to beat the Clippers and get to the WCF.

Why not make things easier on the team and especially James Harden by not saddling them with Bev as the starting PG? The Rockets were plagued all last season by careless turnovers and inconsistent outside shooting. It stands to reason that bringing in an experienced playmaker who can knock down the open 3 would help fix those problems.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

It does matter when your best player asks for another playmaking guard. This is a players league. Harden can ask everything he wants, but he doesn't know it yet ... :rolleyes:

11. JD88

JD88 Member

When healthy, after another year to learn and grow, this team is definitely better than the one last season.

Bev is all we need from the PG position, especially when our PG doesn't even handle the ball. If you want to find a back up that can come off the bench for 22 minutes and run the second team, I am all for it.

12. JD88

JD88 Member

Bev has nothing to do with what happened in the playoffs, since he wasn't even playing.

So your argument already falls apart.

13. crash5179

So in your world 56 wins, the Southwest Crown, a trip to the WCF and the most successful season in 2 decades is not a successful season? Damn.

Obviously I would love to have Kyle Lowry or Goran Dragic or a number of other high level point guards. Having said that, last season was highly successful and highly enjoyable.

And never ever turn your nose up at the miraculous come from behind victory. All Sports are full of Champs that had miraculous come from behind victories. Our very own back to back championship Rockets teams had multiple miraculous come from behind victories.

The imaculant reception - NFL
    The Hale Mary - NFL
    The Catch - NFL
    Bill Buckner - MLB
    Rangers / Cardinals game 6 - MLB
    Red Sox down 3-0 to Yankees come back AL play-off victory - MLB

Rockets 94 play-offs:
    Down 2-1 best of 5 against 50+ win Jazz
    Down 3-1 best of 7 against 50+ win Suns
    Down by 3 points against the Magic in Game 1 of the Championship with 3 seconds to play and Nick Anderson shooting free throws and won

The game is hard to beat high level teams and a little luck is always required. A ball bouncing the right way, a call in your teams favor at the end of a game, a good free throw shooter clanking his free throws. Even a team staying healthy all season is really good luck because it normally does not happen.

The Rockets aren't just good, they are one of the elite. Unfortunately only one team gets to be champion every year. So don't be so quick to turn your nose up at them just because they didn't win the title last season.

1 person likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

Did I say it wasn't successful? Don't put words in my mouth(or post). I simply said the bar should be higher for this team than the WCF. Right now with our current roster(and hopefully Smith and Terry resigned), I do think we could win the title. But it would require a lot of things going right for us(namely health and Harden having another MVP season) and a lot of things not going right for other teams(the health of the Warriors, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Thunder).

I just don't like the idea of settling for mediocrity. I don't mean with the Rockets themselves. They're a terrific team. But there are areas of concern like turnovers, blown leads, inconsistent outside shooting, awful free throw shooting, and inconsistent defensive effort that all need to be improved. The first three on that list could all be greatly remedied by a legit PG and playmaker being added to the roster. It doesn't even have to be an All-Star like Lowry. Just someone who can play 20-25 minutes a night.

Yes, I'm happy with 56 wins, the division title, and a trip to the WCF. But why not try to get even better? Why not shoot for 60+ wins, a bigger point differential(which means fewer minutes for the starters), and another high seed and easier path back to the WCF(and hopefully beyond)?

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Especially when you have James Harden braking all kinds of turnover records in the playoffs LOL. He literally had 12 turnovers in the final game against GS. They need a real PG in the worst way.

16. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Great comparison

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think the point is that you don't need a true PG, but you do need a 2nd ball handler to ease the load off Harden.

18. crash5179

Go read your post. It's an all negative response to mine when I said last season was successful and Daryl Moreys plan to add quality players throughout the season absolutely worked. It did. You used the word mediocrity and last season certainly was not a mediocre season for any team. I know you are not specifically referring to the Rockets but why use that when in discussion about the Rockets off-season.

So I'm not going to try and tell you what you intended to say but it certainly comes off as saying last season was not a success since the Rockets did not win the Championship.

Daryl Morey has improved the Rockets every season since the summer of 2012. Almost everyone had already written off that season when Daryl traded for Harden. Almost everyone claimed he was embarrassing himself by chasing Dwight so hard but he got him the next season. Almost everyone criticized him for losing Chandler Parsons and turning what was the 4th seed in the play-offs into a worst team. But DM was not done and he improved the team over the previous year and got a better player than Chandler in the process.

My fingers are crossed that he can add a significant piece at the point guard position. But we are still in the moratorium and NBA rosters are far from set. We were never going to get a high level point guard with just the MLE.

The Rockets absolutely have time to get the guy that is going to make an impact on the roster. If nothing else Daryl Morey has shown that he will make the trade when its available at absolutely any time during the season up to the trade deadline.

By the way, I think we both agree on what the Rockets need to take the next step. I just think Daryl Morey has proven he knows what he is doing and has earned our patience.

#38 crash5179, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  19. valorita

valorita Member

Bev is the only player ever to win the skills challenge with huffort.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This so much this. Gotta make a trade using Jones, Papa and Prigs.

Collison, Lawson, Jennings, Bradley, Deron Williams?