1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Jul 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

The only difference between Rose and Ellis is Rose plays for a better defensive team, with better coaching.

Other then that, I think Ellis is just as good.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/22YvcnVhOAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Ellis is very good, no doubt about it. But Rose is just on another level. Rose has that instinct that can't be taught. There's a reason he's the MVP.

3. VBG

VBG Member

I agree with the OP. Players like Westbrook (despite the hate, I think he had a better shooting percentage than Rose in the playoffs) and Ellis can do what Rose does at a similar level.

Ellis had back to back end of the 4th quarter step back shots to win the game/send it to OT. It's not like he can't make the Derrick Rose plays.

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Ellis scoring skills is on the level of Rose, I'd like to see a Lowry/Ellis back court.

Couple reasons why he isn't a "Superstar" to the public...

He plays in Golden State, not Chicago.

He's a undersized 2 guard, not a prototypical point guard, or a point guard like Rose who is ridiculously athletic.

And he's tatted up big time, very visible... NBA likes to promote the clean cut looking players... Dirk, Rose, Nash, Dwight.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Monta Ellis and Derrick Rose are not the same. I think Monta Ellis is very underrated but Rose is on another level.

Westbrook isn't on Rose's level either, but I seriously believe he has the potential to be an MVP candidate a few times during his career. People who focused on his flaws during the playoffs and didn't watch him during the regular season don't know how good this guy is. I think it's possible (not necessarily likely) that Westbrook ends up being better than Rose.

6. snc

snc Member

I agree. LeBron James would be a household name if he wasn't for all his tattoos.

2 people like this.
  7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well that ends that

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Warriors consistently play better with him on the bench. Overrated chucker who plays no defense.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Rose is an actual PG though. He can run the team and be the leading scorer at the same time in perfect harmony and equilibrium. This is something Ellis will never be able to do thus HE WILL ALWAYS BE AN UNDERSIZED 2 GUARD.
    He will always hurt the team on defensive.

He is more like Allen Iverson, though not as prolific.

10. adboy

adboy Member

d rose is tatted up too

11. VBG

VBG Member

I disagree with the Rose thing.

I think that's the main reason why Boozer suffered. There was no more Deron Williams setting him up. Rose simply doesn't have the same ability to get players the ball where they need it.

A superstar/MVP should not be butt****ed in the playoffs. David Robinson was outplayed but Rose was destroyed.

Its just that Rose is a nice guy so he doesn't get killed for the Miami series.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Oh well, the market for the NBA is predominantly white. Tattoos? Not so white.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Really difficult to gage how much "better" the team plays with him on the bench when he leads the league in minutes played.

14. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Not as noticeable. Bron is darker.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

They're very similar players, but mind you, Rose put up the same #s under a weaker offensive system--JVG-like, that's something he has to get credit for. TMac used to put up 24-25ppg under JVG, which would be 28-30 pts under any other offensive system.

Also, Rose is a better playmaker than Monta who is more of a scorer.

Rose is a better player than Monta. Now mind you, I didn't think Rose was the MVP.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ellis is due for a fresh start elsewhere so let's see what he's capable of in another system. But as of right now, Rose and Westbrook are on a completely different level.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Monta will blow people away if he's traded to another team with a decent coach. He gets ripped for playing no defense but he can defend very well when he tries. Playing for Nellie all those years followed up by Keith Smart hasn't brought out the best in him, IMO.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's a detailed look at Monta's defense. It's not just the coaches:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/06/22/ellis-defense-is-red-flag-for-interested-teams/

Basically Monta has weak buttocks and thighs.

19. snc

snc Member

20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I'd contemplate a trade with Kmart for Ellis if it involved a big man in the mix... Not sure I want Beidrinis but maybe a 3 way trade that netted us Ellis and a solid center for Martin and one of our extra bigs/projects... I'd be down for that... Ellis has that ability to take over games in the 4th and avged more ppg than Martin last season... very underrated player in this league..