1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast Poll

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Sep 20, 2020.

?

Better Breakfast: Mexican or American?

1. Mexican

2. American

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Buck Turgidson

I know these food polls are getting stupid, but inquiring minds want to know:

I'm eating a Western omelette right now, but I really was craving texmex grub, but didn't have the ingredients and didn't want to leave the house...so...

More of a weekend breakfast poll than a workday one, only parameters are that both of these contain eggs with other stuff. Sorry bagels and lox, waffles, kolaches, etc... I do love you so, but you're out. Feel free to vote "other" if that's how you roll.

p.s. don't put this many serranos in your omelette. Holy crap.

TWS1986 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is french toast American? In Japan, Chinese donuts are popular. The only people I've ever seen eat taquitos are white people in America. I'm confused.

I'll go American, I guess, for it's diversity in options on the spectrum of sweet-to-salty-to-spicy.

Had some good breakfasts at grandma's house though back in the day. And Ninfas on Nav.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’m surprised to see Mexican with no votes. I definitely prefer Mexican to american. By a significant margin. In fact, I was going to vote for Mexican......until I remembered time in Thailand. One of the places we stayed had a beautiful western buffet every morning, and with my wife being a bit of a hotel snob, I’m sure it would have impressed most people who enjoy a western style breakfast. But off in a corner was a table set up for Jok (Thai congee—-rice porridge). Each day had different fixings for it. Sometimes shrimp, sometimes egg, sometimes.....I’m not certain. Always fish sauce and bird peppers. I dream about it till this day. Can’t quite recreate it, but I get close. Don’t expect anyone to like it as much as I do.....but it’s MY favorite.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i never eat breakfast

Sajan likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Breakfast. One of the true reasons to get out of bed.

Fun Fact: Breakfast is literally slang for breaking your fast.

I always have in my kitchen:

Eggs
    Bacon
    Toast
    Waffle Mix
    Cereal
    Milk

All of these options are good and I can wake up wanting one over the other all the time. Breakfast tacos can be done, but to do it right it you need to do it in bulk. My Mom would make 20 of them and wrap 'em in cellophane and all you did in the morning was nuke it for 30 seconds.

Omelettes? Overrated. I can make a damn good one, but I prefer eggs typically sunny or scrambled.

Two things I have no problem paying a premium?

Croque Madame.

[​IMG]

And The amazing Fried Egg Sandwich at Max's Wine Dive.

[​IMG]

tmoney1101 likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

There arent any Thai places or Vietnamese places that serve congee in Houston that I know of, but there are Chinese places that do. You can order to go and add fish sauce yourself. I usually dont need to, since its got enough salt, but I add something similar to sambal oelek to it. Its a jar of peppers more pickeled than Sambal that I found in an Asian grocery store.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

my son was less than a year old when we went on this trip, and he really enjoyed it too. To the point that I started making it. I’m certainly not skilled or Asian, but I’m able to make it better than the dim sum places we’ve been to in Houston. We usually have bird peppers and garlic soaked in fish sauce sitting in the fridge. Maybe it was the setting that made it so awesome.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I almost always skip breakfast. But if I eat it, its definitely not gonna be an American breakfast, thats gross

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You should try Tan Tan or Sinh Sinh. They have better congee than the Dim Sum places. I usually get the pork one that has the innards. Its a little different than SE Asian, as they use bean sprouts and sawblade grass as garnishes. Its good though, from the pork to the seafood.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I usually skip breakfast, but when I do have it I prefer Mexican. Love good migas, huevos rancheros, breakfast tacos etc

12. Asian Sensation

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A legit Mexican breakfast would be a plate of chilaquiles. Breakfast tacos are American.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

*slowly hides my Frosted Flakes*

I'm a simple guy, scrambled eggs would more than fill the spot.

jiggyfly, arkoe and JumpMan like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Picture this.. two sets of chilaquiles, one red and one green, a fried egg on top of each set, with carne asada right down the middle. Haven't found a place that makes them better than I can. :cool:

16. TimDuncanDonaut

Lot of the Mexican breakfast dishes really sound tasty. If allowed the option would be nice. Lot of times if getting for work and getting ready; not enough time to prep a nice meal.

Buck Turgidson and JumpMan like this.
  17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Shakshuka

\thread

Ottomaton and arkoe like this.
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is this a joke or are there really people who don't know this?

Invisible Fan, tmoney1101 and arkoe like this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I didn't.

20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

On another note. Had Machacado this morning and it was delicious.