1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stratfor's step by step guide to taking a dump on Venezuelan sovereignty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This news seems hugely underreported from the big "Western" news sources online.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cool, maybe then Venezuela would become a free country again, with nice Western chain hotels, and a safe travel destination. I'd go back there in a heartbeat - beautiful country, beautiful women.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yeah...about US intervention in Latin America... Historical examples don't really support your optimism.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No no. You misunderstand him. When he says "free country", he means it in dollar value.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So ATW is someone who would have loved Cuba before Castro. They had nice hotels and it was a good tourist destination. It doesn't matter about the people that actually live there.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Believe me, the people in Cuba would prefer Cuba without the Castros.

Have you seen any people trying to escape the USA to Cuba in self-made boats? No? Vice versa? Yes.

I have been to Cuba. Have you?

7. rhadamanthus

Not so sure what ATW means/thinks, but your statement above is absolutely accurate in regards to US foreign policy.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I have not. I'm also not supporting the Castros. I'm saying it wasn't a free country prior to the Castros, and should have been overthrown even though they had nice hotels and would welcome western tourists.

Also no where did I say that Cuba was better off than the U.S. Why would you even bring that up in your post? That was totally odd and off the wall.

Most Cubans who came here from Cuba were those that were directly affected by the revolution. It's natural for those groups to want and need to get out for their own safety. That's especially true when Castro went nuts after winning the revolution.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Everyone in Cuba has been directly affected by living in a dictatorship.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They weren't on the losing side. Those that were, comprised the largest group of those that fled to the U.S.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

People living under a dictatorship for many decades now weren't on the losing side?

Tell them that.

Amazing left-wing arrogance.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What rock are you living under? Do you think Cuban immigrants are no longer coming to the US?

You really admire the Cuban way of government, I guess... not entirely a shock

13. ILoveTheRockets

People still live in Cuba? I thought they all rowed their way here. shocker.

My grandmother was from Cuba, she hated it, although it is a beautiful place... she still hated it.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Yeah, because American intervention implies support for democracy and is always well-intentioned. :rolleyes:

See: Iran and the Shah, Greek military junta, Nicaragua-Contra, Mubarak and the Middle East tyrants America had to support until forced not to in order to ensure Israel's claim as the "sole democracy" in the region, Reagen's support of apartheid South Africa, helping kill Diem in South Vietnam, helping get Pinochet into power etc.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Forcing democracy onto others is kind of ironic...
    "We know what's best for you, more than you do!"

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Apparently you still have problems reading. Not entirely a shock.

Your post doesn't really broach anything I said except for an error in your leaps in logic and misunderstanding what I wrote in the first place.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Or merely stating facts which you are ignoring. Castro won the revolution. That's a fact. You may not like it, but it is what happened. My post takes that reality into consideration when I mentioned people on the losing side compromised the largest group of Cubans that fled to the U.S. That was also a fact.

If dealing with actual facts is what you call arrogance, then I'll settle for being arrogant in your eyes. LOL

18. rhadamanthus

Castro overthrew the US-backed dictator Fulgencio Batista.

Amazing lack of historical knowledge.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a great country with great potential that unfortunately has been limited by its leadership. It was interesting to hear the resident's opinions on their country and Chavez.

And yes, the women there are spectacular.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is the USA still got an embargo on Cuba or some such?

Rocket River