1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

After the game vs Nets, McHale and Lin entered the tunnel one after another. Before they enter the lockroom, McHale turned around and pointed at Lin: "You will be iso-ed by us!" and repeated once. Lin was shocked, bite his lips but didn't fire back. Some rockets personnel witnessed this.

2. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Look all I am saying is McHale wouldnt dare make those comments about anyone else on the team. Heck, I couldnt find one quote where a coach is directly accusing a player of choosing to stack points over TOs and a win. Even in a different context that comment is just plain horrible. It could be he misspoke but highly doubt it.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

No its not but to make quotes up for Lin and McHale? Cmon now. Lin is not THAT big in NY. Even if its in a different context, let us hear that context then? But to blindly make excuses for McHale and calling other reporters liars, cmon now.

4. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

The NYDN has been publishing nasty pieces on Lin since about the time of last year's playoffs, insinuating Jeremy was weak and letting his team down when he couldn't play after his knee surgery. The hit pieces got worse around the time the Knicks didn't match the Rockets contract.

And from time to time they still publish negatively tinged pieces on Lin that quote "sources close to the Rockets" or "one Eastern GM" and stuff like that to insinuate the Rockets are dissatisfied with him.

I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that the NY media still has an interest in Lin. I see articles almost every week in the NY Times, NY Mag, NY blogs, etc. on Lin's progress and revisiting Dolan's decision not to match. Mostly they're balanced or positive, but the NYDN almost always negative. The theory among Knicks fans is that Jeremy refused interviews with Isola and other NYDN reporters during Linsanity and this is their punishment. I would not be surprised at all if Dolan himself commanded Jeremy to avoid them, since he has been feuding with them for years and years.

5. yunac010

yunac010 Member

The Bucks game can't come soon enough. 3 days between games never felt so long.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL of course you wouldn't doubt it, you'd rather pay attention to one line during a conversation where McHale is singing Lin's praises as evidence that McHale hates Lin.....which is the same as the idiots who cry about his usage%.

7. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Well you made my point, there were no fake quotes directly attributed to ANYONE. Sure they did a character assassination job on Lin to protect the Knicks franchise that is well known. That said, I believe it is not beneath them at all to put a quote out of context, but seriously "Lin would rather score 29 points...." is a horrible quote in any context.

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

You guys do know that you all are more into the same hearsays that you accuse NY Media of propagating? Jason needs to send a link to that, I don't blame him for trying to diffuse this because he works for the Rockets. All I know is after a phenomenol game Lin played against Thunder I didn't hear any praise from McHale at all in his post game interview.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is fair. I'm not even saying I agree with the idea that Lin needs to be more passive -- I prefer him to be a little too aggressive than too passive, frankly. But I can also understand why a coach would want his starting PG to be more of a steadying force on the floor and show some restraint. Coaches tend to be concerned with things like turnovers and moving the ball to get good looks. Given our general high-tempo philosophy which has been instilled, that's a tough balance to strike for a young PG. McHale has acknowledged that Lin has improved. I know I read an article recently where he was praising Lin's improvement, but I couldn't locate it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is nothing to diffuse, by now you should have realized that.

11. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

What was mchale's beef with lowery?

12. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I read all the comments. Got to say, BleedRed is one heck of a debater, sharp mind, indeed. Hats off. :p

13. Habs

Habs Member

The problem here is pretty clear.

Coaching staff on the Rockets aren't very high on Lin. Ownership is extremely high on Lin. The GM has to follow Ownership's belief.

Remember those stories that broke out after Linsanity happened, and the Rockets put out that offer and people were waiting on the Knicks to match? The ones where Morey was telling people how he regretted letting Lin go, and Les Alexander was livid over him for it. And Alexander himself said he was extremely upset, and Morey said he thought he'd lose his job over it - but it was OK now because he had corrected the mistake of cutting him (after Lin had signed).

The disagreement over a player between coaches, GMs, and Ownership isn't uncommon, it happens a lot. The Raptors coaching staff was a huge supporter of Jose Calderon, but GM Colangelo was high on Lowry. Memphis' Collins wanted Gay in Memphis, GM/Ownership didn't think he was worth the contract and traded him away. There was dividing pinon on Rajon Rondo in Boston, and talks about him being the future of the Celtics going on at the same time of flipping him for Westbrook.

McHale probably thinks they could have gotten a better player for that size of a contract. A lot of NBA coaches probably think this except for D'Antoni.

Morey probably doesn't think Lin is that great metrics wise, but at the time of Linsanity and the summer after, Morey wasn't in a position to debate ownership when his team had missed playoffs again. That signing happened because Les Alexander is a big time Jeremy Lin fan, and has said as such. He thinks Lin's ceiling is "very good to great." Meanwhile, McHale/Sampson were giving minutes to Douglas.

So there's a clear divide. Lin's on this roster to stay, and he's going to play despite what McHale wants, Sampson (when he was playing Douglas more minutes) or if Morey wants to flip him for some undervalued sabermetrics guard. Because the Owner is a big fan.

So for all the posters here who want to see Lin on another team so he can thrive and put up 22 and 7 each night, not going to happen because Alexander is letting Morey trade him. But for those who want to see McHale feature the ball in Lin's hands more, and have Harden play more of a SG role (kind of like the Rondo/Allen line), that's not going to happen either because McHale doesn't see Lin as a Rondo.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...er-alexander-hopes-for-one-more-marquee-move/
    “I think he’s going to be a great addition for the team,” Alexander said. “I think he’s going to be a great player in the league – very good to great.

“It was very risky and very hard"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/s...cond-shot-with-jeremy-lin.html?pagewanted=all

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=223873

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Which translates to. I'm a Lin fan and I agree with his posts.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I haven't seen someone "embrace debate" like that since the last time I watched First Take with Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith....

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

It is a rag paper as is the Post. Both though have excellent sports sections.

17. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

McHale is no Pop,

Gotta have my Pops

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

sarcastic:confused:

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol you weren't here during the Yao era? That's what this reminds me of.

20. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Anything wrong with that?

I believe you are on this thread for a long time. Did you not notice that many vets are also agreeing with what BleedRed has been trying to argue.

What's with that burning urge to label people instantly whenever they show any support of Lin? Do you also realize it's exact people like you who like to label other posters that even made -99er Heypartner with reputation of full of green bars had to defend his position. Why can't you just argue the argument based on what they say in their posts instead of dismissing people simply as Lin fans or LOFs? Do you not know when you are trying to debate, making personal attack in stead of arguing the points will only make you look weak and show you run out of argument?

Well, at least, you didn't lable me as LOF. Should I be happy about that? :p