1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty clear that the game has slowed down for Jabari. That and maybe he's no longer in his own head about his misses and shots. Either way, he's looking like the player that we thought we would get coming out of Auburn, and if he keeps up this development and works on his strength over the offseason, I very much believe that we'll all be enormous fans of his by this time next year.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are too many talented players to be Only Fans of.... would rather stay clear of all these minute management decisions.... Contract situations and jealousies incoming soon.....

Brandon Miller, Thompson or someone is coming on board as well.

Roomba likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Ew.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, let Jabari have been playing in OKC all this time next to Giddey and Shai while Jalen Williams was here in Houston, and see how they’d currently be viewed as players…

OKC even has Chip Engelland there to help Jabari iron out any issues with his shot

and I like Jalen Williams…he is smooth and skilled

he wasn’t a realistic option at 3 anyways

Arnel, cheke64, anthony59237 and 3 others like this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

Can’t wait until he adds muscle. I can see being Bam with elite shooting or JJJ. He will be the perfect 5 man

8. SamFisher

Who cares who the "realistic option"was ?

Are you really that afraid of offending all of the draft gurus and their big boards that - with the benefit of hindsight - you have to pretend that not getting some mean tweets from Jonathan Givony is more important than having drafted well?

At this point doesn't matter

You didn't watch last night's game - it was an utter disaster. One of the most disheartening losses of the season , which is amazing because i gave up on this team months ago.

If you came away with " yeah at least we're drafting good value based on box score" it's tough to swallow when the Grizzlies literally put on a Harlem Globetrotters match in the first half with their 2 big men injured and Morant still half in the timeout chair.

As much as you might see flashes individually - its ckear that of our bottom 4 buddies, Orlando, OKC - Houston haul of Green, Smith is way way behind Banchero Wagner, Williams Giddey, and at least tied or worse than Cade Ivey - and that's not even mentioning Chet.

Now some of this is schematic and lack of pg anf just bad fit with Sengun, but it doesn't appear likely that the Rockets maximized the pick of Green or Smith at this point.

as always - Hope I'm wrong @Easy

Nook, Corrosion and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

and we would’ve maximized our pick by taking

*checks notes

Jalen Williams over Jabari?

[​IMG]

talking about how we didn’t maximize our pick, meanwhile the rookie seasons haven’t even finished and 1 plays in a much better environment…

Believe It!, Arnel and peleincubus like this.
  10. SamFisher

Yes? That's just math. he's going to finish 1st or 2nd in Rookie of the year voting and Smith isn't even in the top 5. That seems like a good value at 3, but, you know, feel free to check me on that.

Some day you have to grow up and put away the Draft Big Board.

If someone had said "Shea Gligeous Alexander over Marvin Bagley iii " you could scoff and say SGA wasn't a realistic option at 2 like Luka but clearly he is a top 5 player from that class.

I actually think Jalen Williams is a better player than anyone on our roster. He can create shots and offense like Green but he plays within himself and is a more willing passer. Also bigger and stronger and a competent defender who actually tries

Basically he gives you the best of Green and Smith combined. It's not just all "environment" either, he's just a good player standing alone.

Nook likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao

anyways

I’ve really liked Jabari’s continued improvement in his off the dribble game

had some nice looking makes last night against Memphis

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So? Ben Simmons won over Donovan Mitchell. Brogdon won it over Embiid. I could give a million examples. I may end up being wrong, but I’m still taking Bari at 3.
    18924EA6-3CFB-4805-B4A3-E61081514A63.jpeg

C4E1E5A3-40E5-49EB-B2DC-F320319198CD.jpeg

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah and there are guys that have won ROY that became nothing.

If you want to say Williams will be better than Green or Jabari… ok. Say that he is better now and always will be. Even though he is a year older than Green and 2 years older than Jabari. I like the part where you said he actually tries. Jesus you sound bitter AF.

I look forward to more of your posts where you point out that in drafts there are players that sometimes go later that are better than players that go before them. I still can’t believe Tom Brady didn’t got first overall in his draft!!

Arnel likes this.
  14. SamFisher

I love how touchy everyone gets when you have the gall to point out the Rockets have gotten unlucky with their prize picks the last few drafts so far.

I'm as disappointed as you that it's true .

But it's true (so far)

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I mean, not really. I’d still take Green #2. Sengun was a steal. I’d still take Bari #3. And Eason was a steal.

NewAge and cmlmel77 like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He seems to do a lot more pump fake and drive. He finishes better at rim. .729 is pretty good, especially considering that's supposed to be his weakness.

And whoever said he couldn't dribble should sign the apology form. :D

SamFisher likes this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Besides you, any GM would have taken Jalen at #2 (given Mobley’s refusal to work out for us) and Jabari at #3.
    Giddey, Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes may have outplayed Jalen for now, but no GM would have gone out on a limb with those guys at #2.
    Same with Jabari and Ja.Will.
    It’s a moot point. GMs don’t reach with top 3 picks, it’s too much of a career risk.

IndoRockets likes this.
  18. SamFisher

Lmao

Anyways

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Was that supposed to mean something?

you’re such a weirdo

if u don’t have anything relevant to say, stop quoting me

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's a tall order to have been drafted at 2nd and given the circumstances back then to take on the burden of a whole franchise.

A raw player with such thin body.

Then you go the next draft and draft a tweener who could only shoot and semi defend and he hasn't been doing that shooting 70% of the season.

I am perplexed at the combination of raw, young and no plan of how they complement each other.

I mean you can only improve if you were the worst team in history, Stone is a culprit in there somewhere.