1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Major

Major Member

Multiple things can be true and there's plenty of criticism to go to everyone. Zelenskyy didn't prepare properly pre-war but did everything right after. Biden provided excellent intel, but didn't provide weapons or get involved early enough and underestimated Ukraine's will to fight. Republicans in Congress also ignored Biden's warnings and pushed back against the possibility of war. Putin is the actual invader - so he's the primary cause of the conflict and he also has had plenty of screw ups on their side.

This is Zelenskyy AFTER Russia had started the invasion still resisting a general mobilization:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...hes-programme-economic-patriotism-2022-02-22/

There was pretty extensive criticism of this move at the time - this isn't revisionist. People thought he was a comedian playing President and completely out of his league. But then after his "I need weapons, not a ride" moment, he has done basically every single thing right.

dmoneybangbang, Deckard and Blatz like this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. basso

Supporting Member

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the National Review's spin on what Biden was saying. Given that Biden is still pushing getting more arms to Ukraine I don't think he's throwing Zelensky under the bus.

FranchiseBlade and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ukraine compromise very soon?

6. basso

Supporting Member

intel does not equal weapons.

7. basso

Supporting Member

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The US has sent a lot of weapons to Ukraine already and is sending more.

9. basso

Supporting Member

see earlier in the thread. weapons are appreciated, but they're too few in number, inadequately supplied with ammunition, and would have been more profitably supplied earlier.

but I suppose it depends on what one (JB) hopes to accomplish.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is your contention that the US is continuing to supply weapons and ammunition but in a less than optimally efficient way because they hope the Ukraine will only be partially successful and have negotiate the loss of territory to Russia?

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Ukraine has already lost territory. The time to move was in 2014/2015; but we didnt because we needed Russia for the Iran seal.

As Ive always thought Russia is going to want to hurt Ukraine as much as possible and annex all of the Russian areas. Theyre going for Transnistria (Moldova) next.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Agreed. More should have been done earlier. I'm just curious what @basso thinks Biden wants with his aid to Ukraine now.

13. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Im surr whatever Biden does or doesnt do basso wont like it. At least he's not a Russia cheerleader like some I know

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes. I generally agree with him regarding the Ukraine issue.

15. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Man things really have changed (for the worse) since the Obama years. You know the GOP has slid when Basso and FB agree on an issue

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

In truth the GOP and I have probably agreed an many issues, just not the means to achieve those issues.

I feel like that's the case with most of the nation.

But if it makes you feel better, this is probably one of the few issues on which basso and I can agree

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

pre Trump I'd agree.

Now? I think there is a very vocal and decent sized minority who want a very different America than most of the country. Mostly evangelical types and a lot of men in my generation who've turned to inceldom and a sort of trolling form of politics instead of wanting to inprove things.

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

and thata not to say thats all Trump voters. But Trump and a lot of youtubers plus natural backlash to social change and disillusionment with socieyy to the ppint if nihilism

19. basso

Supporting Member

my contention is Biden does not recognize the moment.

20. basso

Supporting Member

Biden wants the appearance of doing something, w/o the risk of actually committing.